Sarri In or Out?  

231 members have voted

1. 1. IN or OUT

• IN
    • OUT
    • Shake it all about
    • You do the Hokey Cokey

16 minutes ago, chi blue said:

I don't think we can afford to wait for the obvious, this bloke anint winning anything it's not in his DNA. Need to move him out now.

The obvious? 

Did you not watch the league cup final? We should have won that - it wasn't Sarri's fault we didn't! We have cruised through the Europa League and are favourites to win - I would think we have a great chance to do so.

Sarri has only managed in Italy where he made Napoli the "best of the rest" - which isn't easy and isn't to be sniffed at. 

1 hour ago, shedpensioner said:

Results I’m not fussed about, performances I am.

You say glimpses of good football unfortunately in the last 5 months those glimpses have been few & far between. Actually to the point we’ve lowered our standards as fans & get excited about the smallest things.

I think some fans forget how bad we were last year performance wise. At least I feel we are a work in progress now rather than a shell of a club playing with their backs to the wall. 

Give the man 2 seasons and see what happens. The alternative isn't winning the league because we are about 3 or 4 players away from being competitive with City + Liverpool at the moment over a season. So what is actually the worst that can happen?!

I am far from pleased with how things have been going, but I would be willing to give him 1 more season to see how things go. However, he must start using more of our promising youngsters or we will lose them. Hudson-Odoi should be starting 10-15 PL games next season. Christensen should be starting 20+ PL games. Loftus-Cheek 15-20+. And he needs to do better at finding a way of breaking teams down and getting the best out of our players.

4 minutes ago, bisright1 said:

The obvious? 

Did you not watch the league cup final? We should have won that - it wasn't Sarri's fault we didn't! We have cruised through the Europa League and are favourites to win - I would think we have a great chance to do so.

Sarri has only managed in Italy where he made Napoli the "best of the rest" - which isn't easy and isn't to be sniffed at. 

I think some fans forget how bad we were last year performance wise. At least I feel we are a work in progress now rather than a shell of a club playing with their backs to the wall. 

Give the man 2 seasons and see what happens. The alternative isn't winning the league because we are about 3 or 4 players away from being competitive with City + Liverpool at the moment over a season. So what is actually the worst that can happen?!

I think he will at least get the rest of this season. If the club was going to fire him in the near future they would surely have done so during the international break? Then again this is our board.

Beyond that the club's strategy may depend on the outcome of the appeal with FIFA.

3 minutes ago, bisright1 said:

A lot of fans have this theory that we are a 'backs to the wall' club, soaking up pressure and counter attacking for 90 minutes, it comes from 190512, which was the only way we were going to win old big ears in that period of our history. 

Then Pep turned up to the league and we had to change, we nearly all agreed on that, certainly the masses did on here.

I think this season has been extremely tough on Sarri, and next season he will be a better premier league manager for it.

The club has always had to endure some embarrassment for having a great youth academy, but no one break through to the first team since JT.  It was easy to gloss over because we had really good to world class players and we were winning.

But now everyone can see how good CHO is, and it has ramped up the embarrassment on both Sarri and the club for not realizing what they have and not playing him enough.  Roman and the board have to step in, for the good of the club, and strongly suggest Sarri play CHO more.  I'm generally not one who wants the coach to be told who to play, but Roman & the board need to step in here for the good of the club or else they risk losing every good youth player they have and have a hard time signing young players who will believe there won'y be opportunities to play.

I find it slightly amusing in an earlier period pre-Roman we had a lot of younger players making the first team, I guess the difference was we were not competing for the top, more survival or mid table mediocrity.

Some I recall,

Damien Mathew, Graham Stewart, Jody Morris, Andy Myers, David Lee, Scott Minto.

8 hours ago, Diamondgeezer said:

I’m guessing most people on this thread have enjoyed the last 15 years of success?

Yes but I also enjoyed the early/mid 90s before we started winning things (we won things before Roman btw :wink:). 

I’m not old enough to have enjoyed the ups and downs before then.

Although mathematically we are still in for the 3rd spot, there's no chance we are going to get there. Teams above us aren't going to throw games away against teams in the bottom half like we have done, and we haven't looked like beating anyone above the teams in the relegation zone. We aren't playing attacking football, we are playing possession football for the sake of it, and had no idea how to use it. Whether Sarri should get another year depends on the Europa league ( and I hope he get it right, but let's NOT BS ourselves in believing he has done a decent job so far. He turned us into the Arsenal we used to laugh at.

On 26/03/2019 at 18:16, Strider6003 said:

I find it slightly amusing in an earlier period pre-Roman we had a lot of younger players making the first team, I guess the difference was we were not competing for the top, more survival or mid table mediocrity.

Some I recall,

Damien Mathew, Graham Stewart, Jody Morris, Andy Myers, David Lee, Scott Minto.

Not sure we can count Minto as one of our own. We did though bring a few through more by necessity though.

4 hours ago, Qaz said:

Whose more dead,

Conte at this stage last season or
Sarri at this stage this season?

Personally Conte pissed me off with his sulking and acting like a teenage girl behaviour, but no one could question his managerial ability for winning things, Sarri on the other hand seems decent enough bloke but is way out of his depth, and needs to go. For the life of me still can't get my head round how the club decided he was the manager to go for.

To answer your question whose more a dead man walking at this stage of the season Sarri I would think, but who knows what this comical board are thinking.

8 hours ago, Qaz said:

Whose more dead,

Conte at this stage last season or
Sarri at this stage this season?

Conte. I think his last nail in the coffin was in January, we lost a few games, and he was publicly criticizing the board in nearly every presser. I think the damage was done. Even if we finished 4th I think he was done. 

Sarri could still turn this round with a string end to the season, mainly because of ban situation, the squad seem pretty happy with him, despite some awful results, and he hasn't had any failings out with board, at least not publicly. 

Wasn't really sure where else to post this. 

The club are advertising that the Brighton home game on April 3rd has gone on general sale. I had a quick look and tickets are available in all of the stands, including Mathew Harding lower. 

Can't remember the last time I saw a league game being openly advertised as being on general sale? 

Interest is dwindling in our season. 

3 hours ago, chi blue said:

Personally Conte pissed me off with his sulking and acting like a teenage girl behaviour, but no one could question his managerial ability for winning things, Sarri on the other hand seems decent enough bloke but is way out of his depth, and needs to go. For the life of me still can't get my head round how the club decided he was the manager to go for.

To answer your question whose more a dead man walking at this stage of the season Sarri I would think, but who knows what this comical board are thinking.

Being lauded by many of the best managers in the world, taking an average Napoli to within whiskers of dethroning the most dominant Italian side of all time. Not that hard to work out. 

In answer to the question. Conte. No one wanted Conte anymore. Conte didn't want the job anymore. Sarri can still bring us to be a great side. Turn around isn't the right word because we aren't actually worse than we were last year. 

37 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

The club are advertising that the Brighton home game on April 3rd has gone on general sale. I had a quick look and tickets are available in all of the stands, including Mathew Harding lower. 

Can't remember the last time I saw a league game being openly advertised as being on general sale? 

Blimey. I’ve had two offers of a West Ham ticket- normally I’d have to get on the blower and scrape around to get a sniff for London derbys and bigger games.

Edited by Ewell CFC

27 minutes ago, bisright1 said:

Being lauded by many of the best managers in the world, taking an average Napoli to within whiskers of dethroning the most dominant Italian side of all time. Not that hard to work out. 

In answer to the question. Conte. No one wanted Conte anymore. Conte didn't want the job anymore. Sarri can still bring us to be a great side. Turn around isn't the right word because we aren't actually worse than we were last year. 

So Pep has praised him - big deal!!

No point going over old ground as it's been done to death, but IMO, Sarri will not come anywhere near close to Conte as a coach. Can understand some Chelsea fans no longer being a fan of Conte the way things ended, but whilst he was here, he got what Chelsea was about and he was a winner, something sadly I don't think Sarri will be (but would be glad for him to prove me wrong).

Edited by Nibs

46 minutes ago, Nibs said:

So Pep has praised him - big deal!!

? No point going over old ground as it's been done to death, but IMO, Sarri will not come anywhere near close to Conte as a coach. Can understand some Chelsea fans no longer being a fan of Conte the way things ended, but whilst he was here, he got what Chelsea was about and he was a winner, something sadly I don't think Sarri will be (but would be glad for him to prove me wrong).

I don't think anyone can say that for definite. Conte has a completely different background but he has failed - he failed to win the CL with Juve or do well in that competition and he failed to get the players onside for a second season here. Sarri as yet, hasn't failed at anything as a coach in his career. This season the objective was to get into the CL and get us playing more possession based football - neither of those things have failed yet. At Napoli he brought them so many points in the league it would have won the title almost every other year. 

My issue is Chelsea fans questioning why he was appointed as if we hired this nobody to manage the best team in England. When in fact we are easily the 4th or 5th best team in England on paper.

We appointed Sarri because we wanted to break the cycle of just hiring proven top level managers who come here for a payday knowing they will be sacked within 2 years. We hired him because he was playing the best football of any team in Europe and because he was more of a coach than a "give me £200m". And yes, Pep, Howe, and a number of other managers around Europe admired his style and how he played. His football was given the title Sarriball by admirers, not by himself. 

So for me, lets see what happens. Im not in a rush to sack him and replace him with the next European job hopping manager. Our issues run deeper than a coach who is part way through a 2-3 year project to turn us into an exciting football team. 

1 hour ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Not that surprising, yet another midweek game in a competition we arent competitive in, against a team that isnt interesting to watch. 

The club haven't been helped, our next home game on a weekend is the last home game of the season. Couple that with likely another 2 european home games as well in the week, fans are going to be selective. 

Its a ridiculous run, 

If we reach the semis, 9 of the last 11 games at the Bridge for the season will be midweek night games. 

Edited by bisright1

6 minutes ago, bisright1 said:

Not that surprising, yet another midweek game in a competition we arent competitive in, against a team that isnt interesting to watch. 

The club haven't been helped, our next home game on a weekend is the last home game of the season. Couple that with likely another 2 european home games as well in the week, fans are going to be selective. 

Its a ridiculous run, 

If we reach the semis, 9 of the last 11 games at the Bridge for the season will be midweek night games. 

Surprising in the sense that if we were to be lucky enough to make it to the Europa League final tickets will be based on loyalty points. 

That's a lot of members risking being bumped down the pecking order by not buying tickets. 

But I do agree, midweek fixtures, especially when there are a lot of them, can start to feel a chore.  

12 minutes ago, bisright1 said:

I don't think anyone can say that for definite. Conte has a completely different background but he has failed - he failed to win the CL with Juve or do well in that competition and he failed to get the players onside for a second season here. Sarri as yet, hasn't failed at anything as a coach in his career.

Obviously Conte has a much bigger standard to uphold and much bigger expectations to fulfill - since you're saying that Conte by not winning the Champions league has failed, while Sarri that never won anything hasn't failed.

More people will look back and remember Conte in 50 years time, specially if Sarri continues to just "not fail" and not winning a single trophy.

17 minutes ago, bisright1 said:

I don't think anyone can say that for definite. Conte has a completely different background but he has failed - he failed to win the CL with Juve or do well in that competition and he failed to get the players onside for a second season here. Sarri as yet, hasn't failed at anything as a coach in his career. This season the objective was to get into the CL and get us playing more possession based football - neither of those things have failed yet. At Napoli he brought them so many points in the league it would have won the title almost every other year. 

How details can be distorted!!

You're kind of comparing apples to oranges there. Despite being 11 years his junior, Conte has coached at a high level for a good deal longer than Sarri, so of course he would have experienced failures, but he can also point to very decent successes. And saying Sarri hasn't failed when he has nothing of any real substance on his CV - seems he has had a pretty easy ride up to now!

Sometimes a manager will come in and change the style without the accolades of success and move on.

The following manager will build on that and bring success.

I think we all agree we are better at playing out from defence than we used to be so whether Sarri stays or moves on there will be positives from his tenure.