ForeverCarefree

Super Frank Lampard *Officially our Manager*

Posted (edited)

My only pessimism about appointing him is how the fans react if we aren't in the top 4 next season. I am very worried that if (when) we don't make top 4, there will be pressure for him to move on. Cries of "tactically indept" and "not experienced enough" will come out. We will lose BIG against a top 6 rival. We will have an embarrassing home defeat against a team we would expect to beat. We will limp out of the CL at some stage - hopefully the QF but probably the L16 or potentially even the group stage. There is absolutely no reason for me to think none of those will happen. That isn't me being pessimistic, that's realistic. 

I don't know how our current fan base reacts to any of the above happening. 

I personally think SFL for 3 seasons could bring us success. I just don't know if we will give him that. 

Edited by bisright1

5 minutes ago, bisright1 said:

My only pessimism about appointing him is how the fans react if we aren't in the top 4 next season. I am very worried that if (when) we don't make top 4, there will be pressure for him to move on. Cries of "tactically indept" and "not experienced enough" will come out. We will lose BIG against a top 6 rival. We will have an embarrassing home defeat against a team we would expect to beat. We will limp out of the CL at some stage - hopefully the QF but probably the L16 or potentially even the group stage. 

The reality is I don't know how our current fan base reacts to any of the above happening. 

I personally think SFL for 3 seasons could bring us success. I just don't know if we will give him that. 

And those are your ONLY pessimistic thoughts???? Blimey! Is your whisky bottle always half empty?

Just now, moi said:

And those are your ONLY pessimistic thoughts???? Blimey! Is your whisky bottle always half empty?

Exactly. You think that's a bad thing if those things happen. So when they happen how will you react? 

I expect them to happen, its realism. Why would they not? They happen to every club who comes 5th or 6th in a season. We just tend to sack managers when that happens. 

51 minutes ago, bisright1 said:

My only pessimism about appointing him is how the fans react if we aren't in the top 4 next season. I am very worried that if (when) we don't make top 4, there will be pressure for him to move on. Cries of "tactically indept" and "not experienced enough" will come out. We will lose BIG against a top 6 rival. We will have an embarrassing home defeat against a team we would expect to beat. We will limp out of the CL at some stage - hopefully the QF but probably the L16 or potentially even the group stage. There is absolutely no reason for me to think none of those will happen. That isn't me being pessimistic, that's realistic. 

I don't know how our current fan base reacts to any of the above happening. 

In the event Frank is appointed manager and we were to finish outside the top 4, that alone won't get fans on his back. 

If we're playing half decent football for the majority of the season fans will see Frank is doing the best with what he's got. If he's playing RLC, CHO, Abraham with some for of regularity then fans will understand that he's trying to build a team that's on a learning curve. 

A lot of the fan frustration with Sarri this season was that even when things were going badly nothing was changing. We continued to see the same core of 13/14 players being picked in the same formation in the same system game in, game out. 

I'd be confident to bet that we won't suffer a defeat as heavy under Lampard as we did with Sarri. In fact if he loses 3 league matches away in the league consecutively with an aggregate score of 12-0 like Sarri did (Arsenal, Bournemouth, Manchester City) or more I'll delete my profile from this forum. 

26 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

In the event Frank is appointed manager and we were to finish outside the top 4, that alone won't get fans on his back. 

If we're playing half decent football for the majority of the season fans will see Frank is doing the best with what he's got. If he's playing RLC, CHO, Abraham with some for of regularity then fans will understand that he's trying to build a team that's on a learning curve. 

A lot of the fan frustration with Sarri this season was that even when things were going badly nothing was changing. We continued to see the same core of 13/14 players being picked in the same formation in the same system game in, game out. 

I'd be confident to bet that we won't suffer a defeat as heavy under Lampard as we did with Sarri. In fact if he loses 3 league matches away in the league consecutively with an aggregate score of 12-0 like Sarri did (Arsenal, Bournemouth, Manchester City) or more I'll delete my profile from this forum. 

Nail on head.

As I said before I was broadly neutral re Sari but now he has gone I am really quite excited by next season whereas I was just going with the flow.

What I will say re Sari is he did strike me as tactically naive and whilst I loved Zola as a player I really don’t think he added to Saris skill set.

If Frank comes he will almost certainly have a fresh modern and clearly well thought of coach in Morris by his side.

Frankie may well be in experienced as a coach but as my old boss once said to me you have 20 years experience one year current the rest out of date.

21 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Lets talk about Derby. They lost 4-1 at home to Leeds and 3-0 at home to Villa. Their first 8 away games in the league in 2019 had 4 losses and 4 draws. 

Maybe we won't lose 3 away games on the bounce to nil. But we will have bad individual results and a bad run of results - it would be mad to expect otherwise considering our squad and Lampards relative inexperience at management. Considering some fans are questioning his appointment now, I worry about what the backlash will be if/when that happens. 

I dont think finishing outside the top 4 will get fans on his back. But I think if we finish 5th or 6th, its very difficult for fans to think "we are playing great football". To finish outside the top 4 you need to have bad games. Those bad games and bad results will be what people arent prepared for.

2 minutes ago, terraloon said:

Nail on head.

As I said before I was broadly neutral re Sari but now he has gone I am really quite excited by next season whereas I was just going with the flow.

What I will say re Sari is he did strike me as tactically naive and whilst I loved Zola as a player I really don’t think he added to Saris skill set.

If Frank comes he will almost certainly have a fresh modern and clearly well thought of coach in Morris by his side.

Frankie may well be in experienced as a coach but as my old boss once said to me you have 20 years experience one year current the rest out of date.

So if we lose 3-0 to Tottenham at home. How excited will you be? If you disagree with his team selection and we get thumped. 

32 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

23/11 - Man City
07/12 -Everton
21/12 - Tottenham

3 consecutive away games. You may regret that statement 😉

25 minutes ago, bisright1 said:

Lets talk about Derby. They lost 4-1 at home to Leeds and 3-0 at home to Villa. Their first 8 away games in the league in 2019 had 4 losses and 4 draws. 

Maybe we won't lose 3 away games on the bounce to nil. But we will have bad individual results and a bad run of results - it would be mad to expect otherwise considering our squad and Lampards relative inexperience at management. Considering some fans are questioning his appointment now, I worry about what the backlash will be if/when that happens. 

I dont think finishing outside the top 4 will get fans on his back. But I think if we finish 5th or 6th, its very difficult for fans to think "we are playing great football". To finish outside the top 4 you need to have bad games. Those bad games and bad results will be what people arent prepared for.

So Derby lost matches to their fellow promotion hopefuls. I'm not sure how that's something we shouldn't expect from a club like Derby County? 

They finished within the play offs which was their target. You look at the form of any of the other three teams who did the same and I dare say they too will have had poor runs of form too. I'm not sure how this is proof that Lampard did anything wrong compared to a seasoned coach such as Marcelo Bielsa? 

Derby also managed to beat Championship winners Norwich 4-3 away from home. 4th placed WBA 4-1 away from home... 

If we went into the new season with Pep, Klopp, Poch as manager having lost our best player to Real Madrid, with no recognised goal scorer and unable to bring in new players would you expect any of them to be able to comfortably accomplish top 4? 

You're painting this almost doom's day type scenario should Lampard be manager and making it seem it's all because of Frank? 

I don't think the fan base is stupid, they know we're up against it going into the new season but Lampard's knowledge and experience of the club gives him a fighting chance. The vast majority of the fans love and respect Lampard and will be patient with him and understand the difficult situation he's inheriting. 

Short of us being outside of the top 6 I personally don't think the majority of the fan base would blame Frank for doing what would be the minimum expected of him with the squad we have. 

41 minutes ago, bisright1 said:

23/11 - Man City
07/12 -Everton
21/12 - Tottenham

9 of the easiest points I ever saw, especially with Sir Frank at the helm. 

We'll be this year's Christmas number one with fixtures as easy of those. 

Blimey @bisright1 , cheer up mate! I also wanted Sarri to stay and defended him through the bad and good times, but he's chosen to leave us so good luck and roll on next season with new coach. We support Chelsea through thick and thin and, if anything, at least with Lampard we won't have to endure that section of the fanbase booing our players/coach at Stamford Bridge. So carefree!!

1 minute ago, RMH said:

Blimey @bisright1 , cheer up mate! I also wanted Sarri to stay and defended him through the bad and good times, but he's chosen to leave us so good luck and roll on next season with new coach. We support Chelsea through thick and thin and, if anything, at least with Lampard we won't have to endure that section of the fanbase booing our players/coach at Stamford Bridge. So carefree!!

I 100% support frank. 

My concern is not losing to Tottenham 3-0 at home or losing 3 away games on the bounce. 

My concern is that if (and I think it's likely) that happens. We will sack him because the fans will turn. 

11 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

So Derby lost matches to their fellow promotion hopefuls. I'm not sure how that's something we shouldn't expect from a club like Derby County? 

They finished within the play offs which was their target. You look at the form of any of the other three teams who did the same and I dare say they too will have had poor runs of form too. I'm not sure how this is proof that Lampard did anything wrong compared to a seasoned coach such as Marcelo Bielsa? 

Derby also managed to beat Championship winners Norwich 4-3 away from home. 4th placed WBA 4-1 away from home... 

If we went into the new season with Pep, Klopp, Poch as manager having lost our best player to Real Madrid, with no recognised goal scorer and unable to bring in new players would you expect any of them to be able to comfortably accomplish top 4? 

You're painting this almost doom's day type scenario should Lampard be manager and making it seem it's all because of Frank? 

I don't think the fan base is stupid, they know we're up against it going into the new season but Lampard's knowledge and experience of the club gives him a fighting chance. The vast majority of the fans love and respect Lampard and will be patient with him and understand the difficult situation he's inheriting. 

Short of us being outside of the top 6 I personally don't think the majority of the fan base would blame Frank for doing what would be the minimum expected of him with the squad we have. 

I'm just highlighting that having a good season against objectives still means losing heavily to rivals. 

I don't think he did anything wrong. I think he had a great season. 

But fans who say we can come 4th or that they will be happy with 5th...well I'm not sure if they accept what that means in reality. Basically I think some of our fan base are stupid. 

If we lose 3 away games on the bounce 4-0, lose at home to Tottenham, go crashing out of all the cups and come 6th I'd back frank for another year. That's what I'm saying. I just don't know if every other Chelsea fan will think the same. 

3 hours ago, bisright1 said:

So if we lose 3-0 to Tottenham at home. How excited will you be? If you disagree with his team selection and we get thumped. 

23/11 - Man City
07/12 -Everton
21/12 - Tottenham

Your clearly a glass half empty sort of person.

I hate losing any game but it seems to me you go into every game expecting to lose. If we do lose the world won’t end and to be honest I cherish every win, every trophy but don’t demand them from Chelsea as a bribe to retain my support of the club nor would it stop me buying my season ticket.

1 hour ago, terraloon said:

I hate losing any game but it seems to me you go into every game expecting to lose. If we do lose the world won’t end and to be honest I cherish every win, every trophy but don’t demand them from Chelsea as a bribe to retain my support of the club nor would it stop me buying my season ticket.

You missed my point. 

I hate losing, but I expect that next season we will lose a fair few games. I expect this because we haven't added to our squad and are losing our best player. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work that one out. 

It won't be the end of the world if we lose games. It won't be the end if we lose 3 in a row. 

My entire point is, it could be the end of the world for those fans (not me!) who keep telling me it won't happen under Frank. How we won't win the league but we will not suffer like under Sarri. I think this attitude could lead to those fans suggesting the SFL should be sacked when we have bad results. That he isn't the right manager. (I WONT BE ONE OF THEM!!!)

We've got loads of fans talking about targeting top 4 and a trophy as if that's an underwhelming or transition season. Fans who have been spoilt by Sarris results this year.

A transition season means we will lose games. We will lose some games badly. We will be embarrassed at times. If our fans keep denying that could happen, then I suspect when it does happen they will turn on SFL. Im ready for it and so I won't be one of them.

23 hours ago, coco said:

Not a Sir yet, hopefully a golden managerial career with us will get him a knighthood one day.

Super Frank Lampard is way better sounding than Sir anyway.

And why do you mention sir ?

Why are people mentioning we aren't adding to the squad because of the ban?? We are gaining players back from loan who will hopefully give us a much better squad next season alongside young players like Mount, James, Tomori etc.

1 minute ago, Malcolm9 said:

Why are people mentioning we aren't adding to the squad because of the ban?? We are gaining players back from loan who will hopefully give us a much better squad next season alongside young players like Mount, James, Tomori etc.

I suppose it depends if you rate the guys we have out on loan, some would say they are loaned out for a reason (the senior players).

For example I don’t think Bakayoko is going to add anything to our team, he just doesn’t suit English football and doesn’t seem the type of character to be able to turn the jeers into cheers.

Striker wise I think we have to keep Micy and Abraham as 3rd cover because we don’t have anything else really other than OG (assuming Higuain goes back to Milan). 

I think we are badly needing to freshen up the wings with Pedro and Willian now shadows of what they once were (well Pedro as Willian had always been...Willian). Pulisic should give us a boost but you can never tell how these players will do in the EPL especially when used so sparingly last season.

Once we have CHO and RLC back in the team things will look a bit better options wise, it’s just a shame they are out for the start of the season.

3 hours ago, terraloon said:

That's not what he said at all. He is merely highlighting the fact that if we end up in 4th, 5th or 6th, or indeed worse, it will mean inconsistent results and may well include a hammering here and there. The question that bisright is saying is its all well and good have a love in going into these things. A section of the fanbase may well still turn when the inevitable downtown occurs.

I don't think its doom and gloom, its reality. This season we have arguably been a one man team and we just sold the one man.

We all want Frank to succeed, if it is him, but just as much, most of us do not want his relationship with us fans being tarnished by the experience of trying to do the impossible.

1 hour ago, bisright1 said:

You missed my point. 

I hate losing, but I expect that next season we will lose a fair few games. I expect this because we haven't added to our squad and are losing our best player. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work that one out. 

It won't be the end of the world if we lose games. It won't be the end if we lose 3 in a row. 

My entire point is, it could be the end of the world for those fans (not me!) who keep telling me it won't happen under Frank. How we won't win the league but we will not suffer like under Sarri. I think this attitude could lead to those fans suggesting the SFL should be sacked when we have bad results. That he isn't the right manager. (I WONT BE ONE OF THEM!!!)

We've got loads of fans talking about targeting top 4 and a trophy as if that's an underwhelming or transition season. Fans who have been spoilt by Sarris results this year.

A transition season means we will lose games. We will lose some games badly. We will be embarrassed at times. If our fans keep denying that could happen, then I suspect when it does happen they will turn on SFL. Im ready for it and so I won't be one of them.

I didn’t miss your point at all.

It seems to me you don’t want FL appointed in case he fails, but what if he doesn’t? 

There is no doubt at some point in time all managers have difficult periods, some get through it some get sacked. Would yo7 expect any of them to go into a job thinking they will fail? 

I am not sure that those I sit near or indeed others I know would turn on FL if results don’t go his way  short term particularly in a season where you have just lost your best player and you can’t bring in replace but you asked me specifically how excited I would be if we lost 3-0 to Spurs or lost three on the bounce but that could happen under any manager and I repeat my original comment I am quite excited about next season

1 hour ago, terraloon said:

I didn’t miss your point at all.

It seems to me you don’t want FL appointed in case he fails, but what if he doesn’t? 

There is no doubt at some point in time all managers have difficult periods, some get through it some get sacked. Would yo7 expect any of them to go into a job thinking they will fail? 

I am not sure that those I sit near or indeed others I know would turn on FL if results don’t go his way  short term particularly in a season where you have just lost your best player and you can’t bring in replace but you asked me specifically how excited I would be if we lost 3-0 to Spurs or lost three on the bounce but that could happen under any manager and I repeat my original comment I am quite excited about next season

Nope you missed my point. 

I want frank lampard, I think he's the best option. I'm just nervous the fans will get him sacked. 

But I'm nervous the fans will get anyone sacked. I don't think the fans understand what a bad season is and what a transition season is. They just see bad or title challenging. Next season we definitely wont be title challengers and I don't see how we can be top 4 challenging if one of arsenal or united sort their sh*t out.

A lot of fans thought this season was bad up until we won the Europa League. It wasn't. It was a transition season. Next year is yet another transition season. But we will see.