Kev56

Next window

1 minute ago, bisright1 said:

So you would sell azpi?! 

Probably since he's going to be 31 next season.
I mean there are only two options, sell him in the summer and get a replacement or make the next season be his last with us, but with the difference being that James is the first choice while he's the backup. Now I guess that him being a backup is a better move but having in mind that he's the captain of the team, I think it's maybe the best for everyone to just find him a new club.

There is this argument that you can make, that even if we buy a new right back, no matter who he is he won't be better than James anyway...right? So I don't know if the club should sell Azpili in the summer, maybe James becomes too good to be true and Azpi has no problems with being on the bench, everyone happy.

8 hours ago, loz said:
9 hours ago, Sindre said:
First of all i actually do think the ban will be reduced to one window and that we will be able to buy in january.
It's C for me but i would possibly have a look at the opportunity to do a "Pulisic-deal" for Jadon Sancho if at all possible.

I don't think it will be reduced. Its not like we marginally bent the rules. We committed more offences than the average Irishman in Botany Bay. We should be taking the punishment and moving on. Its not like we are going to do much business on January anyway.

Not sure you are right about the ban .

i have read the 44 page summary following the appeal to FIFA

What struck me is that there was an awful lot of subjective conclusions indeed more often than not there isn’t a specific rule just how other rules could be interpreted another set of eyes not in the employ of FIFA may well look at things differently.

5 hours ago, bisright1 said:

Where is Rudiger going?? Christensen not a long term answer?

We have currently - in my eyes - 4 top class Centre Backs and 1 very promising youth player (Guehi). CB is the last thing we need to look at. 

Azpi has a replacement, Reece James. Azpi is also only 30 and the two of them can do a job together for at least 2 more seasons in my opinion (at which point we actually have other young right backs who can come through). 

What we need is a LB and a replacement for Pedro and Willian. (As I suspect Willian is leaving no matter what). I'd simply sign Sancho + Chilwell, sell/release Alonso, Willian, Pedro and Barkley and continue to promote youth when there are gaps through injury.

I'm not sure......He said there was no reason to discuss an extension when asked last year.  SO I don't know how long term he is.

Christensen has not developed into a dominant CB.  I'm less convinced now that he ever will be that. 

And that's what we need.  Yes, Guehi looks full of potential, but I see him benefitting from a loan where he can play consistently.  

And who knows what will happen with Ampadu…...

Azpi has not been the lock down defensive player he has been, and his crossing has not been up to par this year.  OK Reece James may be the answer here, but he's started how many games?

We have all these players, yet we are still very dodgy defensively.  

7 hours ago, Boston Blue said:

I'm not sure......He said there was no reason to discuss an extension when asked last year.  SO I don't know how long term he is.

Christensen has not developed into a dominant CB.  I'm less convinced now that he ever will be that. 

And that's what we need.  Yes, Guehi looks full of potential, but I see him benefitting from a loan where he can play consistently.  

And who knows what will happen with Ampadu…...

Azpi has not been the lock down defensive player he has been, and his crossing has not been up to par this year.  OK Reece James may be the answer here, but he's started how many games?

We have all these players, yet we are still very dodgy defensively.  

We haven't been dodgy defensively in ages to be fair, that's been shored up massively.

You still have an attitude of solving a small problem by buying someone. That's not going to always work. There isn't a right back who would definitely improve our first team or squad, there isn't a centre back either. Anyone good enough to play damages the set up more than they'd improve it.

According to a number of publications, we have a January/Summer “HIT LIST” of the following: 

- Moussa Dembele 

- Wilf Zaha

- Jadon Sancho 

- Ben Chillwell 

- Nathan Ake 

If this list is true, I would NOT want us spending till the summer. And then, I’d only want Sancho & possibly Chillwell (depending on Leicester’s asking price?!- they don’t NEED to sell.) 

Ake is decent but no improvement on what we have! 

My opinion is we should stick to what we have until the summer!! 

Bin off Pedro and Giroud in January, neither are going to see any minutes any time soon and are on the decline. 

Sign Chukwueze, then wait until summer to sign a new striker. 

In a 1 striker system you don't need more than 2 strikers in your team. Tammy and Bats can work until summer, then assess whether to keep Bats.

LB and CB can then be reviewed in summer.

47 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Bin off Pedro and Giroud in January, neither are going to see any minutes any time soon and are on the decline. 

Sign Chukwueze, then wait until summer to sign a new striker. 

In a 1 striker system you don't need more than 2 strikers in your team. Tammy and Bats can work until summer, then assess whether to keep Bats.

LB and CB can then be reviewed in summer.

Why this Chukwueze bloke ?

Doesn't look all that on his Whoscored stats history ... similar level of goals/assists contribution to Willian or Pedro ? Plus he's another midget player ...

Edited by Sexyfootball

18 hours ago, bisright1 said:

We have currently - in my eyes - 4 top class Centre Backs and 1 very promising youth player (Guehi). CB is the last thing we need to look at. 

Terry, Gallas and Carvahlo were top class. Are any of our current four really anywhere near their levels?  Rudi is decent. Christensen is still up and down and not developed into the player we thought he'd be. Zouma has comeback really well after the nightmare at Utd and looks solid now. Tomori started brilliantly but not been the same since the Lille game and i thought he was dodgy again on Saturday. I'd look to buy a CB but wait until the summer..

How about we buy and keep it in-house at the same time.

Nathan Ake. 

BOOM!

(Buy back 40m clause apparently. Covers lb, cb and dm. Quality player.)

One player I think would have thrived under Lampard given a chance is Musonda. Wasted loans, questionable attitude and now injuries... But that kid has talent that could have developed with the encouragement and guidance of Lampard.

Edited by GhostOfDembaBa

1 minute ago, Dixons said:

Terry, Gallas and Carvahlo were top class. Are any of our current four really anywhere near their levels?  Rudi is decent. Christensen is still up and down and not developed into the player we thought he'd be. Zouma has comeback really well after the nightmare at Utd and looks solid now. Tomori started brilliantly but not been the same since the Lille game and i thought he was dodgy again on Saturday. I'd look to buy a CB but wait until the summer..

2005 Chelsea was a different time. We had the best team in Europe. 4 other teams in Europe max were at our level.  (United, Barca, RM, Bayern)

Now Europe has 11 teams competing with us for top talent. 

Throwing Tomori on the scrap heap and spending £75m on a centre back (firstly, who?) is not going to work. 

We need to back our squad, our youth and focus on improvements where they are absolutely necessary and spend big. The logic of hiring a centre back, means hiring a right back, a midfielder, a striker, a wide player and a left back, a huge overhaul of our squad at a time when its young and hungry. Only the last two of those positions we actually need to sign.

6 minutes ago, GhostOfDembaBa said:

One player I think would have thrived under Lampard given a chance is Musonda. Wasted loans, questionable attitude and now injuries... But that kid has talent that could have developed with the encouragement and guidance of Lampard.

Out again for the rest of the season, injuries have ruined his career.

I never rated him, but maybe I was blinkered by the fact that I really didn't like him as a person. 

Edited by bisright1

1 hour ago, Sexyfootball said:

Why this Chukwueze bloke ?

Doesn't look all that on his Whoscored stats history ... similar level of goals/assists contribution to Willian or Pedro ? Plus he's another midget player ...

Watch a couple of his games and you'll be mesmerised. Only 20 years old and 5ft 8 is about the going size for a winger. 

Left footed so can play that inside right position perfectly. 

18 minutes ago, bisright1 said:

2005 Chelsea was a different time. We had the best team in Europe. 4 other teams in Europe max were at our level.  (United, Barca, RM, Bayern)

Now Europe has 11 teams competing with us for top talent. 

Throwing Tomori on the scrap heap and spending £75m on a centre back (firstly, who?) is not going to work. 

We need to back our squad, our youth and focus on improvements where they are absolutely necessary and spend big. The logic of hiring a centre back, means hiring a right back, a midfielder, a striker, a wide player and a left back, a huge overhaul of our squad at a time when its young and hungry. Only the last two of those positions we actually need to sign.

I'm not for one minute suggesting we get rid of Tomori. Just saying he's struggling at the moment. I also said i wouldn't want any signings until next summer. 

You still have an attitude of solving a small problem by buying someone. That's not going to always work. There isn't a right back who would definitely improve our first team or squad, there isn't a centre back either. Anyone good enough to play damages the set up more than they'd improve it.

I'm not sure I agree with that statement. Are you suggesting we've got the world's best in every position at the back? Of course, we can improve by buying better players than the ones we currently have. Doesn't mean we should replace everyone with world class stars, even if it were possible, but clearly there are positions in the team that can't be upgraded by just promoting another youngster, and Frank knows that, too.

Look at the two clubs that dominate the league now. Where Liverpool would be if they didn't spend a fortune on Van Dijk? Pep insisted on buying a whole new defensive line shortly after arrival. I'm all for promoting top talent from the academy and we're seeing the results this season already but no top club can win trophies or even remain competitive without going out and buying top talent here and there. You can have the best tactics and all the fighting spirit in the world but nine times out of ten it's the quality of the players that decides the outcome of most competitions.

Edited by abramovich

Yep! We want  to get back to being serious title and CL contenders, not just be another Arsenal being happy with top four. Yes, give our young players every chance but if we need to buy to get back to the top, then we should buy!

Every team in the World can be improved upon, but come the summer, we don't need to go wild, we can afford to be patient and find the right players to come in, players chosen by the management team and DOF. The last thing we want to do is poison this squad with the likes of Moratas and Drinkwaters.

1 hour ago, abramovich said:

I'm not sure I agree with that statement. Are you suggesting we've got the world's best in every position at the back? Of course, we can improve by buying better players than the ones we currently have. Doesn't mean we should replace everyone with world class stars, even if it were possible, but clearly there are positions in the team that can't be upgraded by just promoting another youngster, and Frank knows that, too.

Look at the two clubs that dominate the league now. Where Liverpool would be if they didn't spend a fortune on Van Dijk? Pep insisted on buying a whole new defensive line shortly after arrival. I'm all for promoting top talent from the academy and we're seeing the results this season already but no top club can win trophies or even remain competitive without going out and buying top talent here and there. You can have the best tactics and all the fighting spirit in the world but nine times out of ten it's the quality of the players that decides the outcome of most competitions.

I mean, you are literally making my argument for me. 

I think we should buy a world class Left back and a world class wide player. 

I dont think buying a right back or a centre back would improve our squad. I think it would hurt it. Reece James has as much potential as any right back in the world who we are relying on coming to this league, settling and he's free.  Pep has struggled to buy full backs and spent millions. 

1 hour ago, Dixons said:

I'm not for one minute suggesting we get rid of Tomori. Just saying he's struggling at the moment. I also said i wouldn't want any signings until next summer. 

If we buy a 26 year old centre back for £80m next summer, who could be as w*nk as the defenders United have signed. You are basically telling Tomori he can f off. You are telling the league that our youth isn't actually good enough. Tomori is good enough to be our starting centre back for the next 10 years. Trying to sign someone marginally better than him after his first full season as a starter is baffling to me as a strategy. It's as if you haven't quite understood why we are doing so well at the moment.

I also don't see how you think he's struggling. Our defence has been one of the best in England in the last 10 games and he's been a part of it.

I mean, you are literally making my argument for me. 

I think we should buy a world class Left back and a world class wide player. 

I dont think buying a right back or a centre back would improve our squad. I think it would hurt it. Reece James has as much potential as any right back in the world who we are relying on coming to this league, settling and he's free.  Pep has struggled to buy full backs and spent millions. 

If we buy a 26 year old centre back for £80m next summer, who could be as w*nk as the defenders United have signed. You are basically telling Tomori he can f off. You are telling the league that our youth isn't actually good enough. Tomori is good enough to be our starting centre back for the next 10 years. Trying to sign someone marginally better than him after his first full season as a starter is baffling to me as a strategy. It's as if you haven't quite understood why we are doing so well at the moment.

I also don't see how you think he's struggling. Our defence has been one of the best in England in the last 10 games and he's been a part of it.

Stop putting words into my mouth!  I do not want to lose any of our young players in the next window or next summer. Pedro, Geroud and probably Barkley are the ones who i'd move on.

13 hours ago, bisright1 said:

We haven't been dodgy defensively in ages to be fair, that's been shored up massively.

That's not entirely true...…...we've given up goals in the last three league games to Burnley, Southampton, and Watford, all bottom half teams.  Our GA is the worst in the top half.  Granted, Rudiger has not been part of things, and he may help shore things up.  But clearly depth is an issue.  

You can't always insert an unproven youth player in either...…...and we don't know how the young players will perform over a long season.  Remember when Christensem hit the wall and Conte?  I don't think he's reached the form or confidence he had in that first half of the season.

Edited by Boston Blue

59 minutes ago, Boston Blue said:

That's not entirely true...…...we've given up goals in the last three league games to Burnley, Southampton, and Watford, all bottom half teams.  Our GA is the worst in the top half.  Granted, Rudiger has not been part of things, and he may help shore things up.  But clearly depth is an issue.  

You can't always insert an unproven youth player in either...…...and we don't know how the young players will perform over a long season.  Remember when Christensem hit the wall and Conte?  I don't think he's reached the form or confidence he had in that first half of the season.

And been getting away with mistakes not being punished.

Watching the game tonight we are desperately short of a comanding CB who shouts and organises things.  Both FB's have dire too, especially Alonso who's having a made.

20 minutes ago, Dixons said:

And been getting away with mistakes not being punished.

Watching the game tonight we are desperately short of a comanding CB who shouts and organises things.  Both FB's have dire too, especially Alonso who's having a made.

Defensive nightmare tonight......

Entertaining nyt very poor game from us. I think this should show Frank that Alonso shouldn't be anywhere near the pitch when Chelsea is playing.