Jump to content

Chelsea v Palace (PL) Sat 14th Aug 2021 15:00 GMT


coco
 Share

Recommended Posts

Slow though dominant start of the game. After Alonso’s great goal (he’s having a great start of the season) it was all blue. And I’m so glad for Chalobah, what a great strike. We need more of these shots from outside the box and him and James seem to be able to do it.

Come on Chelsea!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites


The highlight was the fans chanting "you're going down with the Arsenal" at Vieira.

Speaking of which glad we finally beat him in the PL as we never did when he was at Arsenal. I know Vieira the manager is a separate entity but these things have a habit of coming back round (case in point, Di Matteo never losing to Spurs as a player then retiring as a gaffer to perform the ultimate troll job on them).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Munkworth said:

I’d say have a beer for me but I wouldn’t want you to remortgage to pay for that swill….

It's ages since I've bought a beer in the ground. Beer is expensive and it's cack.

Good atmosphere in the ground and it was great to catch up with people I haven't seen for a while. Great banter in the pub before and after the match.

Cracking goals by Alonso and Chalobah. Very comfortable win and we probably should have scored some more goals. Didn't need to get out of second or third gear against an awful Palace side.

As an aside the wi-fi signal in the ground is still crap.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Was a stroll in the park against a very poor & unorganized Palace team whom upon their return to the prem on and off in the last decade we’ve made our bitches, they’ve only fluke beaten us twice. Overall an enjoyable match to watch but I feel sterner tests are to come after the trip to the Camel Dome next Sunday. Clever Trevor the MOTM ! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


For the first game with the season, got pretty much everything we could hoped for ( apart from a Werner goal but that's asking too much). We had our goal set right from the kick off, and didn't let off until the second half, by that time game was long gone. The movement was sharp, passing at speed, and players hungry to win the ball in their half, Palace never had a chance. This is the perfect game for Alonso, he doesn't need to worry about defence much, literally another attacking winger on the field. Chalobah was awesome even without that goal, if he let him go onloan ( stupid move but still possible), there would at at least 10 EPL clubs after him. Tuchel took a liking in him, so chances are we won't sign anyone and let him earn his games. Can't wait for Lukaku to play, the amount of crosses we served up today, surely he'd covert 1 or 2 even on his bad days.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Three thoughts:

1. Pretty much the reverse performance of the Super Cup. Sharp, moved the ball quickly, even without our best squad on the park. Well done to Trevor Chalobah on debut. Well done also to Tuchel for picking him.

2. Viera is trash. Palace haven't learned from the De Boer signing. They could easily go down without Woy. Neither attacking nor defensive just passive. 

3. Our new home strip is a bin fire. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Will go through the whole thread later but does anyone know where I can stream/download the full match?

Want to feel a little bit of that atmosphere of the opening game of the season and just the highlights won't do it (unless it's the only option)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

How wonderful to have fans back in the stadium. Makes an unbelievable difference. Won't take that for granted again in my viewing.

We were looking toothless until Marcos pulled a beauty out of his hat. After that Palace became more open and we delivered better with the extra space.

Jorgi man of the match for me, his range of passing and energy was superb.

Delighted for Trev who put in a really good display. 

Well done lads!

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Really enjoyed this game but I have to also ask why the hell Scholes is hired to do punditry? He literally can't even admit that Chelsea played well and blamed the keeper for both our first two goals (completely ignoring the movement that led to the second goal and the superb free kick by Alonso). I've never seen a pundit as bias as him, at least United pundits like Ferdinand are happy to admit when their rival teams play well. Scholes can't ever say any positive thing about Chelsea or any team that isn't United. 

Edited by Frankie8Lampard
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Brilliant start to the season. Total domination from start to finish. Chalobah starting at RCB was such a big vote of confidence from Tuchel. Bare in mind all of our CB are fit, I was initially thinking when I saw him in lineup, it was Tuchel assessing whether he wants him in the squad or on loan, however to see him in the team today, showed Tuchel was really impressed with him. He rewarded Tuchel for trusting him also. I love his style of play. He is fast, very confident on the ball and is confident bringing the ball out also. Despite all the incoming and outgoings, one thing we have kept up really well is the amount of players in the squad, coming from academy. Three starting players in the team from academy and ended up with 4 on the pitch. Impressive.

Jorginho and Kovacic were dominant in that midfield. Kovacic's energy levels are amazing, especially when you consider he plays the whole match against Villareal, including extra time. Both bossed it. Defo think a CM should be a priority, because Kante minutes need to be managed carefully and if one of Kovacic or Jorginho get injured for instance, then we are extremely light. I do think Mount can do a good cover job if needed there, however we could target a natural CM if needed. That also being said actually, Chalobah good also cover as CM for us. He played in that position for Lorient last season.

Things look really good though and not getting complacent as I know we will have our blips, but feel confident about what lies ahead.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not getting carried away with Chalobah due to what happened with Tomori yet great to see we have youngsters that can step in and threaten to replace the regulars.

He was not closed down for the goal as they did not think he had that in his locker, so maybe a one-off, would be nice to see a few more like that.

James threatened to score ridiculously talented goals at one time though only recall one and perhaps one more with a standard finish, in fact I was little disappointed he has not scored more. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


7 hours ago, Strider6003 said:

 

James threatened to score ridiculously talented goals at one time though only recall one and perhaps one more with a standard finish, in fact I was little disappointed he has not scored more. 

 

 

James doesn't attack the box as much. Probably due to his pace, probably afraid to overcommit at times.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Deino said:

As they say, inch perfect 👌

The commentator here said that he was a little bit lucky since the shot hit the post but I personally regard those actually as perfect. They even make a great noise: BAM!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Strider6003 said:

Not getting carried away with Chalobah due to what happened with Tomori yet great to see we have youngsters that can step in and threaten to replace the regulars.

He was not closed down for the goal as they did not think he had that in his locker, so maybe a one-off, would be nice to see a few more like that.

James threatened to score ridiculously talented goals at one time though only recall one and perhaps one more with a standard finish, in fact I was little disappointed he has not scored more. 

 

 

For me the difference is that  Chalobah (now I think he's played at least 4 games this season including the friendlies)  makes less mistakes and his positioning is better. He will come under a lot more pressure than in that game, but he looked good. He will also probably fill about a bit physically in another couple of years. Tomori was a strong player but made some dreadful errors and often relied on his speed to cover for being out of position. Chalobah doesn't take risks, until  he did in H2.  As well as his goal he had that great run forward which lead to nothing.
 

It is important in a back 3 playing a low block to have one of the back 3 making the extra man. Rudigier can't shoot, and I don't recall any headed goals from him. Chalobah's can shoot. It wasn't just it was a goal, its that it was low and well directed and had power. Alonso could hit that shot but from what I've seen Havertz is about the only other player in the team that can shoot like that and Havertz doesn't get the space.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


22 minutes ago, ozboy said:

It is important in a back 3 playing a low block to have one of the back 3 making the extra man. Rudigier can't shoot, and I don't recall any headed goals from him. Chalobah's can shoot. It wasn't just it was a goal, its that it was low and well directed and had power. Alonso could hit that shot but from what I've seen Havertz is about the only other player in the team that can shoot like that and Havertz doesn't get the space.

Agree with you on Rudiger, Zouma scored a few headed goals though not fancied for other reasons.

Agree on Alonso.

Not sure Havertz has that in his skill set only noticed him running on to a ball and finishing well into the penalty area. He does have incisive passing though.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, ozboy said:

For me the difference is that  Chalobah (now I think he's played at least 4 games this season including the friendlies)  makes less mistakes and his positioning is better. He will come under a lot more pressure than in that game, but he looked good. He will also probably fill about a bit physically in another couple of years. Tomori was a strong player but made some dreadful errors and often relied on his speed to cover for being out of position. Chalobah doesn't take risks, until  he did in H2.  As well as his goal he had that great run forward which lead to nothing.
 

It is important in a back 3 playing a low block to have one of the back 3 making the extra man. Rudigier can't shoot, and I don't recall any headed goals from him. Chalobah's can shoot. It wasn't just it was a goal, its that it was low and well directed and had power. Alonso could hit that shot but from what I've seen Havertz is about the only other player in the team that can shoot like that and Havertz doesn't get the space.

Ziyech and Lukaku can as well imo. Of the defensive players Reece can too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Well, this is awkward!

awkward the office GIF

The Shed End Forum relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible without pop ups, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online and continue to keep the forum up, as over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this domain by switching it off. Some of the advert banners can actually be closed to avoid interferance of your experience on The Shed End.

Cheers now!

emma watson yes GIF

Alright already, It's off!