Chelsea v Man City (PL) Sat 25th Sep 2021 12:30 GMT

coco

55 minutes ago, KonaKai Blue said:

That is such a bitter comment. Just because you have the most money it doesn't guarantee anything. When he took over from Rijkaaed, Barcelona were on the wane. He brought them back up. Not many other managers would win 4 out of the last 5 prems with city in the fashion they have as Pep has done playing such attacking football. The guy is a genius.

It actually does guarantee a whole lot, Man United don't even have an above average manager but they keep spending and keep getting top 4, Pep demands a whole lot in order to win you something and he was by all means at the right place at the right time during the best Spanish generation which had the majority of players in Barcelona. But OK we can agree to disagree, you can put up a list of the Barcelona managers over the years and 95% of them only won big titles while they were managing them, Pep went to Bayern that has an almost guaranteed domestic title, sure he's better than Pellegrini with more PL titles and he's up there with the top PL managers but that doesn't make him the best manager of all time at all. He inherited first the best Spanish team, then the best German team before coming to Man City where he spent how much money?

On the other hand Conte in his first season won the PL and Tuchel with a few months with us denied Man City the CL title which they have been chasing for a long time now... To me Pep isn't the best manager of all time, at least not yet.

We have a chance creation problem and that was more evident against an elite team today but, we see it often even against the smaller teams. Lamps had this issue and Tuchel inherited the team and found similar issues.

Regardless of system and personnel this is a persistent problem. No we cannot rely on winning every game 1-0 to take us to the title but, as it stands that's what it looks like we will do vs the better sides.

Tuchel doesn't get many things wrong imo and the only issue I see today was again in hindsight the choice to play without a 3rd attacker.

On paper we looked like we would dominate the midfield and I iterate the importance of the James injury. Anyone that doesn't think it effects the system Tuchel was trying to play is missing the difference between not only James and Azpil at wing back but also Andreas and  Azpil in rcb. 

Watching the Liverpool game right now one thing is abundantly clear to me, we cannot go goal for goal with the majority of teams in the prem hence why we play a defensive style.

If we played a more open system there's no guarantee we would score more goals or conceded more but, judging from how we looked before Lamps was sacked and on the evidence that Tuchel has steered well clear I'll assume that this is the best we can do at the moment. 

Just got around to watching it. That was pretty rough. Zero shots on target and we looked like we didn't want the ball.

Starting to look like there's a lack of trust in the final third. I don't think we're that bad that the team need to suffer to that extent.

Really didn't enjoy us doing that we should be more positive.

Edited by Luca Vialli

1 hour ago, KonaKai Blue said:

That is such a bitter comment. Just because you have the most money it doesn't guarantee anything. When he took over from Rijkaaed, Barcelona were on the wane. He brought them back up. Not many other managers would win 4 out of the last 5 prems with city in the fashion they have as Pep has done playing such attacking football. The guy is a genius.

I don’t think gol is being “bitter”particularly. Obviously pep a brilliantcoach, and we tend to underestimate just what it takes to coach at the top level. But I do wonder how good a job he’d do at a lesser side. Would a norwich or wolves appreciably improve their league position under pep? Would be an interesting experiment

So we lost to city who really brought their a game. We didn’t play well. Happens and we were probably “due” a defeat vs them and a setback more generally. To put things in perspective - imagine you’re a Liverpool (heaven forbid!) or man u (welp!) fan today. Are you any less disappointed by today’s result than a Chelsea fan? 

Watching the "highlights" don't make it any better...lol.

As totally horrific as we were, and TT needs to dissect it, learn from it and rebuild especially are confidence before we go off the rails, you always have to hold your hands up and say City very brilliant in everything but their finishing. 

When they had to defend, they were very good, their first touch and recycling of the ball had us chasing shadows, so much so that even Kante had a poor game, and that never happens.

Fair play to them, we'll deserved and they should have battered us 👏👏

43 minutes ago, Dean said:

So we lost to city who really brought their a game. We didn’t play well. Happens and we were probably “due” a defeat vs them and a setback more generally. To put things in perspective - imagine you’re a Liverpool (heaven forbid!) or man u (welp!) fan today. Are you any less disappointed by today’s result than a Chelsea fan? 

Sure we were due but I often wonder what are Tuchel's tactics sometimes. When games get tough I don't see any changes of tactics.

So far and this isn't a criticism but we've been very lucky under Tuchel.

I don't understand the tactics sometimes and how we're making any adjustments.

Am I the only one that thinks the rotation of players does more harm than good. I just think players should be played on merit and not rotation.

2 minutes ago, coco said:

Our defence is that good even when we get battered, we don't get battered.

Aye add to that a world class keeper in Mendy does make a difference.

Great weekend for City. They will take some stopping. Imagine if they add Kane, Haaland or Mbappe. Shesh.

Today wasn't good, but we are only 1 point off the top of the table after a very tricky run of fixtures.

Beat Southampton and we're back on track, considering Liverpool and Man City are playing each other next weekend.

If we win next week we'll be ahead of one of these teams, maybe even both if they draw with each other.

It's still a good start to the season IMO and the next few fixtures will probably decide if we are serious contenders or not as we'll be playing teams we are expected to beat.

Like I said today wasn't good, but I don't think we are in a bad position.

1 hour ago, Dean said:

I don’t think gol is being “bitter”particularly. Obviously pep a brilliantcoach, and we tend to underestimate just what it takes to coach at the top level. But I do wonder how good a job he’d do at a lesser side. Would a norwich or wolves appreciably improve their league position under pep? Would be an interesting experiment

I think this can apply to a lot of top coaches. The one of course who did improve lesser clubs twice was Brian Clough,probably the best ever.

14 minutes ago, Evenflow20 said:

Sure we were due but I often wonder what are Tuchel's tactics sometimes. When games get tough I don't see any changes of tactics.

So far and this isn't a criticism but we've been very lucky under Tuchel.

I don't understand the tactics sometimes and how we're making any adjustments.

Am I the only one that thinks the rotation of players does more harm than good. I just think players should be played on merit and not rotation.

I don’t know about lucky, and don’t really agree that he doesn’t adapt when things aren’t working. Think last weekend v tottenham. Today we had a forced substitution, then he reconfigured the midfield - which everyone agreed was the problem area - completely in the second half, bringing on two attack-minded players, just as everyone called for. 

As for tactics going into the game, who knows but judging by his post match comments, he didn’t want us to play as we did. We all tend to overthink/overanalyse this stuff. Why do we always need reasons

4 minutes ago, charierre said:

I think this can apply to a lot of top coaches. The one of course who did improve lesser clubs twice was Brian Clough,probably the best ever.

Yeah. I think some coaches are probably better suited to elite clubs and others to the mid/lower table ones. And If they swapped all would probably suffer.

4 minutes ago, Oli said:

Think we really needed mount, for that link between attack and midfield, and his energy and pressing.

Don't think it would have mattered had we put Maradonna in our side with how poorly we played we would have not hurt them.

1 hour ago, axman2526 said:

Watching the "highlights" don't make it any better...lol.

As totally horrific as we were, and TT needs to dissect it, learn from it and rebuild especially are confidence before we go off the rails, you always have to hold your hands up and say City very brilliant in everything but their finishing. 

When they had to defend, they were very good, their first touch and recycling of the ball had us chasing shadows, so much so that even Kante had a poor game, and that never happens.

Fair play to them, we'll deserved and they should have battered us 👏👏

What he needs to dissect is that Alonso cannot play against top teams like City / Liverpool and even Utd to a degree.  The boy is not a defender which ever way you want to look at it; as I pointed out yesterday Chillwell had to start this game.  Alonso is great going forward when you don't need to defend, but if you want a more defensive minded player against top teams that can also get forward when the opportunity arises Chillwell has to be selected.    

Brentford and Villa had more guts than us today, perhaps they didn't have as much to lose and were underdogs..we didn't have anything to lose either other than 3 points which we lost any way without showing desire to go and get the ball for over 60 mins...too little too late after that.  Lukaku and Werner had little to no service or balls over the top to chase and put pressure on City's back 4 who could have got their deck chairs out in the first half.  We were fortunate the way the results went today, although this early in the season it matters little.  I don't see Klopp sitting back next week, he'll go after them. 

Onward and upward for Wednesday..

3 minutes ago, CFCCAN said:

What he needs to dissect is that Alonso cannot play against top teams like City / Liverpool and even Utd to a degree.  The boy is not a defender which ever way you want to look at it; as I pointed out yesterday Chillwell had to start this game.  Alonso is great going forward when you don't need to defend, but if you want a more defensive minded player against top teams that can also get forward when the opportunity arises Chillwell has to be selected.    

Brentford and Villa had more guts than us today, perhaps they didn't have as much to lose and were underdogs..we didn't have anything to lose either other than 3 points which we lost any way without showing desire to go and get the ball for over 60 mins...too little too late after that.  Lukaku and Werner had little to no service or balls over the top to chase and put pressure on City's back 4 who could have got their deck chairs out in the first half.  We were fortunate the way the results went today, although this early in the season it matters little.  I don't see Klopp sitting back next week, he'll go after them. 

Onward and upward for Wednesday..

Again though make that one change and it changes nothing today.

If we had gotten done only because of Alonso defending poorly then fair enough, we got done because everyone bar Silva and Mendy were poor and did not show up.

Sometimes you just have to acknowledge that the other team were better than us

in fact they were different class, and everyone at the Bridge and in the pub afterwards recognised that

but just remember City lost to that lot first game and drew 0-0 at home to Saints,  but let's move on, , we got away with a 0-1 today so, ...

come on you BLUES !

That Brentford game was excellent from a mutual perspective but this is why we play our current style under Tuchel. We can't afford to conceded 3 goals because we cannot guarantee we will score 3 or more goals. 

The strategy is simple shut out the opponent and look to win the game through clinical forward play. It's worked under Tuchel thus far and I believe it will continue to.

3 hours ago, coco said:

Our defence is that good even when we get battered, we don't get battered.

Case in point this right here^  on another day we get something from this game. Usually we can score at least 1 goal, had we had a shot(s) on target who knows what the score could have been. The strategy i.e the game plan might not have been the issue today, rather the personnel and system (352 as opposed to 3421).

Could be just me, but in recent years the early kick off game bought the worst out of us. Put emotions aside, we did not deserve anything out of the game, it's a 4/10 performance and there was only 1 winner on the day. Their goal needed a bit of luck, but when we had a line of defenders standing in the box not stepping out, it's asking for trouble. Jorginho was at the wrong place the wrong time, defending in the box 1 on 1 it's never going to be his strength. We pressed them for about 10 minutes and matched them, then all the sudden stopped and let them run the game, it was 28% possession at one stage. We never defended like that in any of the 3 wins we had last season. If you are going to park the bus, at least bring the ball out quickly when we get a chance. Time and time again we over complicated things, 10 passes later the ball back with GK and we actually lost field position. City did an amazing job pressing us, there was 3-4 on him everytime Kovacic had the ball, Pep noticed he's the most likely to release dangerous passes. We could and should have gone direct more, yet Lukaku did a sh1t job holding the ball up when the few chances got to him. I get it he's a finisher, but in game like this where we were under the pump, should have done more "dirty work". Werner was the best attacker on the field, there was one instance he made a run al the way to the right corner flat with 3 defenders around him, and no support players within 10 yards of the action. RLC came on and did a nice cameo, he showed the running and strength we badly misses, think Tuchel realized that. No panic yet, City was at their 9/10 game, no team will beat them forever. The other front runners dropped points, so not a real disaster. We do need to get better, and do the hard work, really missed Mount's pressing and work rate. Chiwell should get more games now, Alonso's limitations started to show, attackers yet to click, and back to 343 as we actually looked lost with the front 2 completely cut off from the midfield.

6 hours ago, axman2526 said:

3 points dropped is a shame, the mental damage of being afraid of City, playing with that fear and being defeated before a ball was kicked is far more damaging. 

Would have hope the CL win would have boosted confidence. Not enough, we played with more fear than Southampton did against them last week. Am sure @Munkworth won't appreciate that lol.

To be fair we’ve won the last 3 games against them. Their motivation for revenge, especially after the CL final, was greater than our desire to win again. That happens 

Edited by Petworth Chelsea Fan