• Meireles
    • Ramires
    • Drogba
    • Lampard
    • Kalou
    • Mata
    • Luiz
    • Sturridge

Mikel again, excellent defensively and in possession; as involved and determined as anybody else on the pitch. He was pulling off some marvellous passes and had it not been for that bullsh*t yellow card he might (should?) have completed the 90 minutes. I appreciate the tactical nature of the switch but he was adding more to the attack than Kalou...

Honourable mentions to Cahill (excellent first half), and also Drogba/Mata for the moment of class required for the winner.

I'd love to pick Mikel, but I feel as though that would be more of a most improved award. I'm picking Cahill who was excellent, covered JT expertly when he slipped and made a contribution going forward. I like Luiz but I feel my blood pressure was much lower in the last ten hanging on to a 1-0 lead with Gary in the centre.

I thought Mikel, Cahill and JT looked stand out from the rest, felt Drogba done ok and defended well at times as well.

Not a good performance and very unambitious but three points keeps the CL places within grasp, I don't think RDM done his credibility too many favours with a view to being anything other than interim with either the starting eleven, the tactics of the Substitutions which is a shame as I really worry about who could come in next.

Mikel for most improved. He's looking like the player we thought we bought now.

Ill go for Mikel too. But to be honest this was the type of game he always does ok in - one where the oppostion sits back and therefore doesnt pressure him giving him a lot of time and space. The extra man very much worked in his favor too. Id still pick Romeu (MIA) over him for any game, in a heartbeat.

But credit where credit is due, his passing and tackling was the best in a blue shirt out there today.If he plays on Tues its a massive test for him - the type of game and type of opposition he has always floundered awfully against.

Edited by bjd

Mata. Cahill second. Mikel had a lot of the ball (with opposition reduced to ten you'd expect that) but didnt do much with it. Mostly played his usual sideways passes. I dont think our back line was tested much either. JT caused a near calamity when he let their forward right through only for him to shoot wide.

Thought Cahill looked good & confident playing alongside J.T.,mind you,who wouldn't?.

He's going to learn sh*t loads in the next season or so, but while I'm glad for him (& us),I wish a young Chelsea player had the chance as well.

Learning from an experienced player is THE best way to learn.

Mata. Cahill second. Mikel had a lot of the ball (with opposition reduced to ten you'd expect that) but didnt do much with it. Mostly played his usual sideways passes. I dont think our back line was tested much either.

That's how I saw it. Can't believe people have gone for Mikel. Similarly I can't believe RDM started with him alongside Meireles, both of whom are distinctly average. We were up against a side that put ten men behind the ball and had only one tactic: To hoof it long. They rely upon free-kicks and throw-ins for goals. Against a side like that that compress space, you need creativity, and once Mata came on for Meireles in the first-half, we were vastly improved. The decison to withdraw Mikel on 65 mins with the score 0-0 was long overdue. Mikel was given plenty of space with the ball but did precious little with it. On the one occasion he tried an ambitious pass it went astray, as it always does. I just do not see the vaule in this player and I want him gone, as I cannot stand watching him play. He is neither athletic, mobile or fast. He offers precious little protection to the back four, and he does nothing with the ball. A sunny day at home against weak opposition, he always sees plenty of the ball and he gets to play at his pace. How anyone can give it to anyone other than Mata is beyond me. Not his best game but he was far and away our best player, as he was the only one that offered any guile, and that's what we needed, as the only goal proved.

Come on guys, get real.

No-one with a surname beginning with "M" is allowed anywhere near our starting line-up on Wednesday ..

Apart from Juan.

Davey I suspect that RDM initially went for the M & M containment show with Napoli firmly in mind but always with a view to having to bring on the likes of Mata & Sturridge to break the deadlock if need be and in the belief that as the match wore on, Stoke's straight line 4-4 discipline would eventually break down. In that regard, Fuller's departure did not really assist us all that much (apart from probably allowing us more possession & control at the back) and to be fair, I felt that Stoke kept their shape for most of the match.

Agreed mate. However I would have played our best players from the start, as this was a very important game, and the 3 points were vital. I can see why he rested Essien, as so much depends on him on Wednesday, but we were always going to struggle with both M & M on the pitch, and Mata and Sturridge on the bench. I would have put the game to bed, then rested players, if we were able to do that. I think he got away with it though to his credit he rectified his mistake through his substitutions.