Is Wayne Rooney world class or overated?

shahilsyed

I personally believe our stupid media hypes wayne rooney way too much as if he is a world class player which he clearly is not. And obviously all the idiotic man united fans are hyping him. Many people also say that Rooney is the 3rd best player in the world which is absurd. Discuss.

I've never rated Rooney as a top player, he has far too many bad/average games - but of course, these hardly rate a mention from the press.

From time to time the media decide to create a hero, and Rooney was their choice of the time. They did the same with the extremely over-rated David Beckham, a player I wouldn't cross the street to watch - and the only time they may have got it right was with Paul Gascoigne.

Fergie rings and wants a straight swap with Torres, would you do it?

You could debate if he is really world class, but anyone would want him in a team! You'd be a sh*t manager if you didn't!

Fergie rings and wants a straight swap with Torres, would you do it?

You could debate if he is really world class, but anyone would want him in a team! You'd be a sh*t manager if you didn't!

This basically. We all know the downsides he brings, temper, inconsistency of form, hair. But when he is on, he is on. And even when his form is bad, having a star player who puts in the shift he usually does (at club level) is important.

He is 26 going on 27, and I dont think his game will ever get better than it is now, but I doubt Ferguson cares if the guy remains the club talisman for another five years. Im sure once their old guard permanently retire, Rooney will be made captain.

Edited by TheWestwayWonder

i think hes world class. yeah hes a complete twat and would probably be in prison if he wasnt a footballer but got to give credit where credit is due. besides his temper i dont see any faults in his game, he can shoot, he can pass, he can head . . . a complete player

Rooney is clearly a world class player - certainly not at the Messi, Ronaldo level but in the tier below. Clearly the best English footballer out there right now.

Allegencies aside any sensible football fan would want him in their squad. Hes got how many goals this season ? How many have Torres and Drogba got combined ? Id be willing to wager his total doubles theirs.

He has got fire in his belly and i like that. A fire missing from a fair few of our team this season thats for sure.

Edited by bjd

Good player, who can influence games from a number of positions. World class? this a term used far too often these days and should really be kept for the elite. Probably our biggest mistake was to not compete with United for his signature.... hindsight though is always a good thing.

I wouldn't swap him for Kalou. I'd take Valencia though!

Much as I defend him on here, there's no way hes worth the whole of a decent La Liga team, maybe just take Soldado, Aduriz and about 10 mill :biggrin:

He is brilliant, but as BB said far too inconsistant.

However of all the players I see running at our defense from the MHU I have to say he is the one that scares the cr*p out fo me each time which says something for him.

I think just for his mind-set of play 110% at all times, having him on the same team as JT would do us wonders. We have no one like that besides JT. Look at Drobga: always trying to befriend the opposition player -- it makes me sick! That player is your enemy, and so treat him like that. In that regard, Rooney treats the opposition as scum, as well he should.

Rooney is clearly a world class player - certainly not at the Messi, Ronaldo level but in the tier below. Clearly the best English footballer out there right now.

Couldnt disagree more. The bloke is the worst kind of role model imaginable.

A terrible example to young aspiring footballers.

Allegencies aside any sensible football fan would want him in their squad. Hes got how many goals this season ? How many have Torres and Drogba got combined ? Id be willing to wager his total doubles theirs.

He has got fire in his belly and i like that. A fire missing from a fair few of our team this season thats for sure.

If half of our team had that fire we wouldnt be where we are now.

What defines world class? I had an ongoing discussion with a mate (a fellow Celsea fan who is usually level headed in most matters) who for years was of the opinion that Emile Heskey was world class. He argued that because he was a player regularly playing on the biggest stages(Champions league & world cup for example) it qualified Heskey as worl class.....like i said, this mate was a perfectly level headed man, highly qualified and working in a great job...not some loony liverpool fan.

Roony for me is an animal. I hate the man and have no respect for him. What kind of twat has hair extensions put in (or whatever cock n bull operation he had) .... He has no self respect, is a thug and a scumbag...a nasty piece of work and a horrible human being....

...But as a player... He is hard working, committed and can score goals, make goals and turn games on thier head with a piece of magic.

He would walk into our team, as he would every other EPL team...to be honest i think he would be a starter in any team in world footballs first xi.

World class....well it depends on the definition. He doesnt have the genius of a Maradonna, Pele, Messi....but then his game is not built around the same atributes as those players. I think he does qualify as a world class footballer. I also think Beckham was (someone on here mentioned he was over-rated). Whilst i would agree beckham was over-rated, he was one of the best in the world at what he did best...crossing and set pieces.