Torres - The "Groundhog Day" Thread

Torres: stay or go?  

225 members have voted

1. 1. Torres: stay or go?

• Stay
    • Go

Here's something I don't understand - why is it not okay to insult Torres, but fellow Chelsea supporters are fair game? I don't find epithets like "Alice" or "Ladyboy" to be particularly clever, so I don't use them, but how are they any worse than the insults directed at the people who have used them? 

Epithets, in my opinion, are superfluous. Since they are intrinsically abusive they should be discouraged. By all means one should argue passionately but not sabotage the discussion by abusively attacking those who disagree with you.

Torres is a great Chelsea player when he's on the bench watching Ba showing him what's expected of a Chelsea striker. If he's unable to show some form now he has some competition then the club's better off without him. I agree that insults are unnecessary and would love Torres to perform but the fact is it hasn't happened, his presence actually inhibits the teams performance so why should I show him any support?

As a Chelsea supporter I don't see why I should show any loyalty to a player who detracts from team performances, especially when fellow team members make unnecessary sacrifices to help him integrate.

Going by his body language against Southampton, what worries me most is the fact that he doesn't seem motivated to say to himself that he needs to fight for his place, and to be able to retain his spot in the side, he needs to perform, otherwise he won't play regularly.

I think it's best for all concerned that Torres departs in the summer, as it will benefit him I believe, and Chelsea can replace him and sign a quality striker. I'm hoping for Falcao.

Edited by Jezz

Calling a player for our club a 'CANCER' in my opinion is the lowest thing thats ever been put on these boards, if I were a moderator those that did such a thing would no longer be welcome to post on here!

I personally don't think we should be calling any of our players derogotary names, as it fuels the image of our fans that some other clubs have.

We're all frustrated by the situation, but learn to take a breath before you type. You wouldn't call Torres names if you met him on the street, in fact I would bet most of you would be wetting your pants and trying to get a photograph and an autograph!

Calling a player for our club a 'CANCER' in my opinion is the lowest thing thats ever been put on these boards, if I were a moderator those that did such a thing would no longer be welcome to post on here!

I personally don't think we should be calling any of our players derogotary names, as it fuels the image of our fans that some other clubs have.

We're all frustrated by the situation, but learn to take a breath before you type. You wouldn't call Torres names if you met him on the street, in fact I would bet most of you would be wetting your pants and trying to get a photograph and an autograph!

Quite agree with you SP,there is a fine line between a bit of banter,(which is o.k.) & nasty piss-taking,(which isn't).Calling someone a 'cancer' on a club is way,way over the line.

Spot on!

You hit the nail on the head!

Who? Where? When? If that's not a sign that this whole Torres thing has well and truly got out of hand, I don't know what is.

I've called him a Cancer once or twice and I stand by it. He's killing the club from the inside and he stands for everything that is wrong with the club and football on the whole.

Useless of the pitch. Check.

Sulky on the pitch. Check.

Unmotivativated on the pitch. Check.

Sulky off the pitch. Check.

Unable to accept responsibility. Check.

Overpaid. Check. (More the clubs fault)

Vanity purchase from Roman. Check.

Than man embodies everything wrong with Football and symbolises the split between the clubs hierarchy and the fans. He must surely be frustrating for team mates and if everyone had his attitude we would be in a relegation battle. I don't believe we can move forward while this **** is here. People here have a lot of hate for FSW as do I but if I could force one of them out the one with the highest BMI would still be here.

I've called him a Cancer once or twice and I stand by it. He's killing the club from the inside and he stands for everything that is wrong with the club and football on the whole.

Useless of the pitch. Check.

Sulky on the pitch. Check.

Unmotivativated on the pitch. Check.

Sulky off the pitch. Check.

Unable to accept responsibility. Check.

Overpaid. Check. (More the clubs fault)

Vanity purchase from Roman. Check.

Than man embodies everything wrong with Football and symbolises the split between the clubs hierarchy and the fans. He must surely be frustrating for team mates and if everyone had his attitude we would be in a relegation battle. I don't believe we can move forward while this **** is here. People here have a lot of hate for FSW as do I but if I could force one of them out the one with the highest BMI would still be here.

Please can people just ignore this guy and don't respond.  Maybe he will go away then

I've called him a Cancer once or twice and I stand by it.

I'm not Torres' biggest fan, but I think that's way out of line. Is he worth 50mil? Not even remotely so. Does he deserve being called a cancer? No.

To be honest, I'm sick and tired of the whole Torres "debate" as it seems that it's all some people are able/willing to talk about these days. People talk about him when he's not playing or not. It seems Torres is never "off topic", even if we talked about goalkeepers, defenders or even something completely non-related to Chelsea or even football. It seems that people are running out of things to say, so they fall back on pouring sh*t on Torres. It's getting tiresome to say the least.

Why am I posting on this thread then? Don't worry, I won't be doing that after this. I'd block this thread if it was possible, so I wouldn't have to see it on the list of threads. Heck, if I could block all posts concerning Torres, I would. That's how tired I'm of the whole "debate"(I use the word VERY loosely here). I'd rather concentrate on other things happening at the club.  

The problem I have...is I don't dislike Torres at all, but my patience and faith in him has been chipped away gradually, until there is simply nothing left.

So despite having no ill feelings to him, and willing him to be a success throughout his Chelsea career, I simply can't see him becoming a top striker again...or certainly not with us.

It's not even that he doesn't try (he has some very lethargic games). On the most part, he's putting in effort, but it's not where he needs to put in, and his confidence just seems to be permanently shot, with very brief, slight upswings.

I think it's been long enough...and for that reason I think he needs to go at the end of the season unless something drastic (and in my eyes, unforeseeable) happens before that.

We all have our opinions to say someone should be banned for seeing Torres as a cancerous figure at the club shows how pathetic society is.. If your offended by that sort of comment then I highly suggest starting a new forum for people of a easily insulted nature.

I see Torres as such within our club. His attitude and his role, not of his choice, is what led to RDM going and FSW coming in. FSW was bought in, without any question of a doubt, to get Torres firing... Even he has failed. His attitude is not that of a hungry players who wants to do fight tooth and nail to find his form. I have said it before he is similar to Berbatov except Berbatov has the ability.

Torres is done in English football. It is too quick for him. He needs to go back to Spain, back to Atletico to feel the love etc.

He along with others at our club are the root cause of this whole situation therefore I have every right to say they are a cancerous root in our club!

The problem I have...is I don't dislike Torres at all, but my patience and faith in him has been chipped away gradually, until there is simply nothing left.

So despite having no ill feelings to him, and willing him to be a success throughout his Chelsea career, I simply can't see him becoming a top striker again...or certainly not with us.

It's not even that he doesn't try (he has some very lethargic games). On the most part, he's putting in effort, but it's not where he needs to put in, and his confidence just seems to be permanently shot, with very brief, slight upswings.

I think it's been long enough...and for that reason I think he needs to go at the end of the season unless something drastic (and in my eyes, unforeseeable) happens before that.

Theirs a reasonable arguement, that brings something to any debate.

We all have our opinions to say someone should be banned for seeing Torres as a cancerous figure at the club shows how pathetic society is.. If your offended by that sort of comment then I highly suggest starting a new forum for people of a easily insulted nature.

I see Torres as such within our club. His attitude and his role, not of his choice, is what led to RDM going and FSW coming in. FSW was bought in, without any question of a doubt, to get Torres firing... Even he has failed. His attitude is not that of a hungry players who wants to do fight tooth and nail to find his form. I have said it before he is similar to Berbatov except Berbatov has the ability.

Torres is done in English football. It is too quick for him. He needs to go back to Spain, back to Atletico to feel the love etc.

He along with others at our club are the root cause of this whole situation therefore I have every right to say they are a cancerous root in our club!

You sir have just proved yourself to be a complete idiot!

See the thing is, I don't think you'll find anyone on this forum who thinks that Torres is the answer, everyone thinks it's time he moved (as much for him as us) but some have taken their abuse levels beyond what is acceptable, and if you say it's just an internet forum, then I may suggest that you do some growing up!

Either way, I don't think the club wanted us to be in the position to have to buy someone like Demba Ba. But it didn't turn out that way and we were, so they did. So, fair play to them for at least realising that and acting on it.

I very much doubt Ba's arrival will do anything to reinvigorate Torres. If anything, his position will become increasingly untenable, most probably it will set the seal on his Chelsea adventure and he'll be off in the summer. The only positive from this is that the club will be very reluctant to splash out an embarassingly high transfer fee on a 'gift' player again, having been very publicly burned on two occasions now.

Perhaps it will be the catalyst to enpower a new manager to handle the player transfers.

Spot on. That's it in a nutshell

I don't think JJ_Blue is a complete idiot. But I do think he's missing the target. Many have asked why the anti-interim protests aren't aimed directly at Abramovich (which misses the point and is another argument so let's leave it at that for now), but there is a far better case, I believe, for redirecting the antagonism directed at Torres towards those responsible for the decision to buy him in the first place.

The board. Gourlay, Buck, Emenalo et al. Highly paid execs who thought it was a good idea to pay a record fee for a striker who had clearly been out of sorts for some time. And of course towards Abramovich for sanctioning the deal. Torres isn't some demon. He's on over the hill, overpriced, overpaid footballer. He was going nowhere at Anfield and I believe he genuinely thought that a move to Stamford Bridge would help revive his ailing career. As we all know now, this hasn't worked out. Yet he continues to get picked.

Again this is down to the board and the buying policy that saw us start the season with only two recognised strikers, Torres and Sturridge, about whom the jury was still out. And while Sturridge was either injured and/or had decided he wanted out, and before the signing of Ba, Robbie and then the Interim had little choice but to select Torres.

Ok I know there's been a lot of talk about pressure from Abramovich to play Torres come what may, but this wasn't the case when Drogba was still here, which again lends weight to the argument that the lack of strikers left very little option but to continually play Torres. None of this is actually Torres's fault.

I don't think Hazard_A_Guess is an idiot either. I just think he's consumed by far too much hatred than can possibly be good for him.