With FFP now in effect, should the price for buying players also be reduced?

enigma
Chelsea Megastore
Chelsea Megastore

Chelsea Megastore

If clubs are now having to cut back on their spending, is it only fair that players prices are reduced? This includes their buy out clause and all the other nonsense that goes with purchasing a player. We see too many figures in the region of 60, 70, 80 or even (E.g. Gareth Bale) 100 million being banded about for a single player. The prices for buying are becoming ridiculous now, with the likes of Messi having a buy out clause in the region of, I believe, 300 million euros! 

Is it about time that the price of players was reduced so that there's an even playing field for every top team; even making it more viable for lower league teams to purchase better quality for affordable prices? 

If the clubs are willing to spend that much on a player then that is their problem.

Say if one day someone like Hazard wants to leave, i don't see why we should just roll over and accept £30,000,000 for a player if a club is up for paying double that. It's up to the clubs to decide if they are willing to spend ridiculous money on a player, and if they are not willing to pay a certain amount then the other club just won't let the player leave.

The only reason players leave their clubs for such ridiculous prices is because certain clubs are desperate to get hold of that player. I am sure if Real Madrid had waited a season or 2 they would have got Bale for far less than they did.

Supply and demand will determine the price.  And if a club thinks a player that is a one off (like Messi) but they want to go for him and him alone, then it is up to that club as to whether or not they feel the 300 Million is worth it.

I do think, or hope, that the days of "Chelsea, or Man City are involved, therefore the price is doubled!" are maybe a distant past, or at least not as prevalent.  However, Agents will still want their cut.  Therefore, I believe it will be more a case of a team being forced to me more strategic in their purchasing rather than buying a ton of positions all at once.

Supply and demand will determine the price. And if a club thinks a player that is a one off (like Messi) but they want to go for him and him alone, then it is up to that club as to whether or not they feel the 300 Million is worth it.

I do think, or hope, that the days of "Chelsea, or Man City are involved, therefore the price is doubled!" are maybe a distant past, or at least not as prevalent. However, Agents will still want their cut. Therefore, I believe it will be more a case of a team being forced to me more strategic in their purchasing rather than buying a ton of positions all at once.

Well we've already seen with the likes of the Willian and Salah purchases that the club have changed their approach to buying players. If there is interest from our side plus another (lesser) club, let that club negotiate the fee and then swoop in. Oppo fans will call it trolling but it's the best negotiation tactic for a wealthy club.

If the FFP affects like it is intended it might push the most ridiculous prices down at least. The agents still want their money so if this new rule slows down player movement they will try and speed it up and lowering prices might the way...

There is no pricelist. It is supply and demand as mad mac says.

Rich clubs will still buy big names but it is not as simple as it used to be.

The TOP players will always cost much. If you want the best, you have to pay for it. You wouldn't expect a Ferrari at a Ford Fiesta price.

However, its the price of the mid range players that annoys me.

The TOP players will always cost much. If you want the best, you have to pay for it. You wouldn't expect a Ferrari at a Ford Fiesta price.

However, its the price of the mid range players that annoys me.

Osvaldo for £13m?

Mitroglou for £11m?

Caulker for 9m?

Yup, there's plenty of players whose transfer fees I just don't understand. 

if we scapped player agents that might help!!!

fact is its billionaires giving other billionaires a few gold coins out of there mead money!

financial worth of a footy player is relevant to so many different things - look at torres!

if torres went on to score 20+ a season when he had signed, im not sure many would be talking about his price now!

I still don't get the agent thing in football. I play in a band, and if we employ an agent to get us a gig, WE pay him a percentage agreed. Surely this should be the same in football, The player employs the agent, so he should pay the percentage.

Edited by Northerner

If we want the best player we have to pay top dollar.

I say we get rid of parasite agents and their fees. Ruining the game

If only it were that simple.  A lot of these players can end up being partially owned by consortium's, and if there' no legal advice coming from lawyers and agents that arrange these things, then clubs will find a way to exploit player.

A little more ethics, honesty and responsibility would not go amiss but that's the world we live in, it's how we humans deal with each other, it's not just the footbal agents. I think they have a place and a job to do in football, players do have a right to counsel and  if we're honest they need it as they are mostly not the brightest persons.

I don't think there will ever be rules ae bout players prices.

It's pretty much basic economy.

you would think so...fact is, despite so much money pouring into football, a lot of clubs are in debt, ours included....something had to be done to make our clubs financially sound, although I'm not sure that FFP is the answer

We have spent a lot of money over the last 10 years, but in all honesty,how many of those players we bought were worth the money we paid for them?

im not sure there's enough space to list all of them. given how successful we have been in the last 10 years, its fair to deduce that the majority of our players over that time have been very good