Rules you'd like introduced into football

Foggy

I'll kick it off with a favourite gripe of mine - players who rack up goal tallies through penalties. I know you still have to have the bottle and skill to put them away, but you have to respect those strikers (like Drogba) whose record is largely pen free.

The Rule:

Player closest to the ball at the time of offence must take the penalty kick.

The second is an adjustment to the play off-system to make it fairer...

The rule:

6th play 5th for a chance to play 4th. Winner of THIS match play 3rd to win promotion.

There is still a little disadvantage for the 5th place team as they have exactly the same chance as the 6th place team.

Perhaps all games cam be one leg, and 6th must play 5th away.

The only changes that need to be implemented are in regards to reviewing refereeing decisions, things like dangerous tackles, taking someone out as the last man, offsides on goals, penalties, etc. should be reviewed by a video ref that can let the ref know if they've made the right decision or not.

Would infinitely improve the game.

Also some consistency with the diving rule, rats like Suarez and Young have made it too popular in the league, it needs to be cracked down on.

The only changes that need to be implemented are in regards to reviewing refereeing decisions, things like dangerous tackles, taking someone out as the last man, offsides on goals, penalties, etc. should be reviewed by a video ref that can let the ref know if they've made the right decision or not.

Would infinitely improve the game.

Also some consistency with the diving rule, rats like Suarez and Young have made it too popular in the league, it needs to be cracked down on.

There was a HUGE controversy with this in the NFL, and all that happens if the call doesn't go the way of the coach challenging the play (just wait until NFL season comes around this fall, watch a game, and then you'll understand) loses a timeout. Can you imagine the uproar it will cause with the FA (just to start), their attitude that the refs are gods, and their performance should never, ever be questioned?

I'd just like some clarification on whether or not the daylight rule in offsides even applies any more... If a player is even 1 toe ahead of the last defender, he gets called offside and all the pundits agree it was offside... whatever happened to there needing to be daylight between them?

I'd like to see timekeeping a bit like rugby. When there are injuries, controversy over decisions, time wasting before pens etc then t he clock stops and play continues until the 90 mins is up.

Also like a system were the ref can consult with a video ref to confirm contact on dives, offside. (When a refer to contact on dives I mean were the defender has instigated the contact not like so many now that you see forwards sticking their leg out to ensure contact).

Retrospective punishments, realtime video reviews for controversial incidents, sin bins, the daylight rule for offside, tugging and pulling at set pieces... I think I agree with most if the suggestions so far.

Something I'd like to see changed is for only the captain of each side to be allowed to address the officials. I hate it when the referee is surrounded by players screaming in his face trying to get the decision they want.

I don't think there's much chance of any of this happening though. Football is weird in that despite being the most popular sport in the world, it's the slowest at adopting new rules technology.

The sin bin that is used in both codes of rugby. "Sending-off" a player for ten minutes would stop a lot of dissent, play-acting etc. Also players not surrounding the ref when disputing a decision. Only the captain should go to the ref.

A slight aside: a ref should publish a report explaining why they made a controversial decision.

Sin bin is a terrible idea.

Would just force the side a man down to sit back and defend. Would completely ruin the flow of a game.

- The player who got fowled for the penalty must take the pen.

- Premier League to be ruled on head to head rather goal difference.

Sin bin is a terrible idea.

Would just force the side a man down to sit back and defend. Would completely ruin the flow of a game.

The current system where players are sent off for the whole game for two offenses doesn't ruin the flow at all...

The current system where players are sent off for the whole game for two offenses doesn't ruin the flow at all...

You have to draw a line somewhere. Sending players off for a period of time when you could get three or four yellows in a match would happen in most games. 

So when someone gets sin binned for 10 minutes, it'll just promote time wasting and contain tactics. 

The sense of 'injustice' at a lot of these red cards actually spur teams on and make it a more entertaining spectacle. The very opposite of what a sin bin would do.

When a player gets fouled in the box denying a goal scoring opportunity the offending player only gets a yellow. Since giving a penalty reinstates the goal scoring opportunity, so a sending off as well is unnecessary (keep red card if outside box).

Also the way injury time is calculated is so crude it’s unbelievable, I would like a more accurate system that gives all games the same playing time.

Tugging and shirt pulling in the box should be punished, I think the offender should be taken out of the box if the referee spots it. Once the corner/set piece has been taken and the ball has gone out of play, the player can return to the game.

Stop the cheating w**kers diving, retrospective bans etc.

This is the thing that needs addressing for me.

Retrospective punishment for simulation that is 100% proven by video evidence, they should have the book thrown at them, on a par with a violent conduct charge, with a minimum 3 match ban for first offence.

Simulation is for actors.

By calling it "simulation" they just make it sound like some technical aspect of the game. Call it cheating. That's what it is.

Yes I agree, much more shameful to be charged with diving.

As someone said on the earlier page, they need to make it so only red card bans rule players out of CL finals, it's horrible to see players miss the biggest game of their lives because they've collected 3 yellow cards in a season.

Archived