Juan Mata. 9 months on.

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

I wont deny it, Juan was probably my favorite CFC player from the period of late 2011 through to late 2013. Back to back player of the year awards and a truckload of goals and assist for us. It never crossed my mind that we would be getting rid of him when Jose arrived.

I'm interested to know what the general conscious is about his departure 9 months on from his somewhat unwelcome transfer to Manchester United. There is no doubt that the team has become more solid since his departure, he lacked pace, he lacked strength and he was not terribly good off the ball.

I personally think the club has nailed this one when you look at the breed of attacking mids we currently have- they all offer more to the team than creative ability, they're all much faster and more physical players. Could he have ever fit into the system and style we wanted to play or was he always doomed from the onset? I believe it's difficult to know for certain beyond speculation but from a pure results perspective his departure seems to have been a positive one for the club.

The past is the past. I'm grateful for what he did for us while he was here but it's time to move on.

Oscar is going to take him to school this Sunday, he'll show him the player he could have become under Mourinho if he stayed and fought his soul out for this team.

I'm grateful for his efforts with the club and he was probably our best player for two years during the AVB/Di Matteo/FSW period but I've moved on and I'm sure most other supporters have as well.

Great player but he just couldn't fit into the side the way Jose wanted him to in his managerial philosophy. While it didn't end very well with him I hope Juan returns to the club someday after he retires if he doesn't ever return to us a player. He's a class act!

I hope he leaves United, preferably going abroad, and gets back to playing at the sublime level he used to for us. Moyes was the scapegoat for Utd's problems last season but it's obvious their problems are more deep rooted than that (and the person most responsible, in my opinion, is Ferguson), and I think Mata must be regretting his decision to join them.

I only have positive feelings towards Mata. I hope we win tomorrow (obviously) but I hope Mata has a decent game. I'm sure the traveling Chelsea fans will remember what he did for us, and his leaving the club was just a case of square pegs not fitting into round holes rather and nothing more than that.

Guest RFC_CFC

He was a luxury player in reality.

Jose needs his teams to be compact, press when not on the ball and work hard all over the pitch. Mata wasn't that type of player sadly.

He was more creative and had better technique than Oscar IMO but because Oscar responded better to Joses ethics that is what swung it I think.

I don't particularly miss Juan now although I did last season as we struggled to break teams down but we have addressed that with Cesc and Costa.

Its a lot easier to move on when were doing so well. We have seen staggering improvements since his departure.

I loved him and its such a shame how his last 12-18 months have gone for him. Looks a completely different player.

He was on top of the world here. 

Much like everyone else I loved him and he was my favourite player almost from when he arrived to when he left. The only deficiencies I noticed when he was here was that in the games against Barcelona and Bayern, he played poorly as he was much better with the ball than without it.

We are a better side now but I wish him all the best. Hope he doesn't score against us.

Wish we had kept him until the summer, as he was a proven match winner, and could have been the difference, when we struggled with hazard getting injured, at the back end of last season.

Would have prefered to see him go abroad for less than the 38m, but I can see where the decision came from.

Wish him all the best, as soon as leaves United.

He wasn't Jose's player and ultimately couldn't fit into the system or role that was being asked of him.

He is an exceptional talent but you've got to build your team around him to get the best out of him asking him to play wide or drop deep and put tackles in hinders him too much.

Play him in the middle, let him do his thing and he'll pull the string offensively 9 games out 10.

Unfortunately with a league where the ball often transitions from defense to attack so quickly I can see why he might be viewed as a luxury that you can't afford to always have in your starting XI.

I still miss him being a Chelsea player but he didn't seem to fit into the way Mourinho wanted to play which is a shame. Even though he was only here 2 years he made such an impact and will be forever remembered as a legend by me for helping us win our first Champions League and putting in a great performance in the F.A cup final against Liverpool.

I hope he leaves United soon, i still hate seeing him wearing their shirt.

Obviously the right choice was made regarding his sale...

Doesn't make it easy though. He was genuinely amazing for us, and was such a likeable man. Thought it'd work out eventually, and he'd be here for many years to come.

I'm over it, it was heartbreaking when he went and whether ot not he scored an important goal today or gets an important assist or whatever, Jose will still have been right to let him go. End of the day the money was far too good to turn down, he didn't fit Jose's system at all.

But overall he's still one of my favourite players and I'll never forget what he achieved here. Really hope our fans don't boo him.

Edited by Bobbywoodhogan

It's an interesting one. I really think we missed him last season. I'm firmly of the belief that his creativity and sense of timing would have gotten us points we lost in the end.

This season with the arrival of Fabregas we've mitigated his role a little meaning we dont miss him quite as much.

We'll give him a reception today, but I'd imagine he'll start on the bench unless Falcao is out.