Have you ever been too nervous to watch a game?

JMaher94

Like in the title, have you ever been to nervous to watch a game or parts of a game?

I'll happily admit that I couldn't watch the second half of extra time or penalties against Bayern Munich. My head was hurting, my heart was pounding and probably have never felt more sick in my life. To recieve a call saying we won it down the phone has to be the most relieving thing i've ever had in Football. Some people say do you wish you watched penalties now.. Of course, but I was too happy that we won it anyway.

So has there been any matches or parts of matches that you haven't been able to watch?

In 2000, I was only 7 and I was literally too scared to watch the second half of Newcastle vs Chelsea in the Semi Finals of the FA Cup. Me and my aunt spent most of the time in the garden, which I think made it worse.

Share your memories people :)

Di Matteo's last game in Turin, felt very ill at the start of the match and kept telling myself I'd go sit in my room because I was so nervous but in the end I kept forcing myself to come in and watch it through my hands. I remember going absolutely wild when we all thought Hazard had scored after that incredible Oscar run but when I realised he'd missed it I just knew it wasn't going to be our night. Horrible evening and set up what would be a grim few months.

I've gotten so nervous I've wanted to turn a game off but haven't.

Although I do remember when we beat United at Old Trafford in the 2012-13 season I ended up walking my dog during the second half. But that was more to do with necessity than nerves. I got home and we were 0-1 up so it felt like a good luck thing haha.

I think my worst was Liverpool in the CL back in 2009. They were in supreme form, they had just beaten Madrid 4-0, and United 4-1. Couldn't even believe it when Torres scored within 2 minutes. I just could not watch the match, every time they attacked, I thought they were going to score. We ended up winning and it probably the best I ever saw Essien play. The return fixture was a nightmare, we were 2-0 down in 10 minutes  :laugh2:

The final in Moscow. When the full time whistle went after extra time I just got up got my mp3 and went out for a walk for about 45 mins. When I came back in , herself said sorry. I sat down for a couple of minutes and went to bed. I was as sick as a small hospital. I've never watched any of that match ever since, so have never seen the penalty shoot out.

2nd leg against Barca for me. Was watching at the Orange Tree in Richmond. When JT was sent off and Busquets scored half of me wanted to go cry in Richmond park and go home half expecting a hiding

I missed the first half of that because I was with my wife at a physio appointment in a hotel. I came up the stairs in the hotel to hear the people in the bar cheer like crazy, Ramires had just scored. I couldn't believe the score, was quite relieved I missed their goals plus the JT sending off.

I couldn't watch the Moscow penalties, and I had to force myself to watch the Munich penalties (behind the sofa, eyes half closed, and hands in front of my face). I get very antsy when watching matches like QOR last week and Manure yesterday, so there is a lot of walking to the kitchen and things like that.

Never too nervous. The idea of not watching a Champions League match is bizarre to me because you can never take these for granted. I still remember the amazing feeling I had when we were playing Barcelona in 2000 and how that seemed like a dream compared to when I started going in the early-90s, so every match like that has to be appreciated.

But during Rafa's time here the atmosphere was so toxic that I struggled with a few matches. It just wasn't enjoyable on any level and wasn't the Chelsea I recognised. But I suppose you have to struggle through the lows to truly enjoy the highs.

As other people have mentioned, I could not watch the some of the Chelsea v.s Barcelona game in 2012, I thought that we might be down and out, but we scored, I had to turn it off when we were clinging on, I couldn't bear it. I turned the radio on to get the result, when it was read out I just sat in silence, stunned, then I had a delayed celebration. I wish I'd stuck with the match, but my heart was beating out of my chest and it didn't feel good. I also watched parts of the Final through my fingers, like the penatly shootout, I had to turn away for the Robben penalty and I just heard the commentator saying he's saved it, good times.

Have you ever been too nervous to watch a game?

Not since 2006 / 2007 season

It's funny looking back on that season, at the time I was gutted we didn't win the title but it was actually a good season, we won the League Cup and FA Cup in the same sesson and had some top league and Champions League results.

The older I get, the worse I seem to get with the nerves.I was constantly flicking channels yesterday every time Utd came forward, as a result I missed quite a bit of the game but watched MOTD in comfort last night . Incidentally, this weekend marked my official 50th anniversary of going to my first Chelsea match, April 17 1965 at home to West Brom' it ended 2-2 after we took a 2-0 lead and it was to be our last point that season as we lost our final 3 league games after that.

I'm certainly getting worse, but have developed a blood pressure problem (on tablets).

I find myself putting the kettle on, having more toilet breaks amongst other things.

Strangely, yesterday wasn't one of those days. Once we'd scored, they hardly pressured us. The CL final was hard to watch and I faced the bar (my birthday) for much of the game, until that header

I'm certainly getting worse, but have developed a blood pressure problem (on tablets).

I find myself putting the kettle on, having more toilet breaks amongst other things.

Strangely, yesterday wasn't one of those days. Once we'd scored, they hardly pressured us. The CL final was hard to watch and I faced the bar (my birthday) for much of the game, until that header

The only time my heart was in my mouth yesterday was the Herrera dive, I was sure the ref had given a pen but thankfully he saw through it

Archived