Danny Drinkwater

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

• 4 months later...

Guest Sindre

With Gallagher on his way to Palace on loan and Gilmour already gone to Norwich, is Danny Drinkwater in line for the fourth midfield spot as it stands? Seems that way to me unless we sign a midfielder before the window close but I doubt we do actually.

32 minutes ago, Sindre said:

With Gallagher on his way to Palace on loan and Gilmour already gone to Norwich, is Danny Drinkwater in line for the fourth midfield spot as it stands? Seems that way to me unless we sign a midfielder before the window close but I doubt we do actually.

Funny thing is I wouldnt actually be against it if he was still at his mid 00's level, proven PL player (with a proven partnership with Kante) who would know his place regarding minutes.

However after the few years he has had it would simply be too big a gamble.

Drinkwater is a talented footballer, not a top footballer but he could easily make it at a mid/lower table prem team, but it does seem like because he’s getting that £100k a week from us he just can’t be bothered to play at a level he should be. At this point he’s ruined his reputation and I don’t think another premier league team would touch him 

• 3 months later...

• 5 months later...

Huh yeah right "disaster" for you Danny boy. Had multiple chances to get out of this deal and back to playing football but you chose the Bogarde route and acted unprofessionally with every chance you got. Clearly football and playing mattered very little to you.

He started off not too bad for us, unfortunately Conte was playing power games and continued with Bakayoko as a protest to club signings. He deserved to play.

But after that his head dropped and didn't even maintain his level to play in the PL, if he did we could have made up more money through higher level loans.

Overall a complete sh*t show from all parties, even the club for being a position to panic buy, if it wasn't Drinkwater it would have been Oxlade-Chamberlain anyway.

18 minutes ago, sonic90 said:

He started off not too bad for us, unfortunately Conte was playing power games and continued with Bakayoko as a protest to club signings. He deserved to play.

But after that his head dropped and didn't even maintain his level to play in the PL, if he did we could have made up more money through higher level loans.

Overall a complete sh*t show from all parties, even the club for being a position to panic buy, if it wasn't Drinkwater it would have been Oxlade-Chamberlain anyway.

Unpopular opinion but i wasn't actually against the signing initially, i mean i say that I thought the price and wages were obscene but the player in himself I thought would do quite well in Conte's system. His biggest strength was long passes on the counter to progress the attack before the opponent can regroup which on paper was perfect for us at that time.

I think regarding his head dropping i think that happened when he realised this move wasn't going to work. I imagine after the taste of the top with Leicester's title win and then getting a move here (in which he still got a FA Cup winners medal despite everything) he just didn't have it in him to fully commit back to the journeyman life, atleast not straight away.

Edited by Argo