Callum Hudson-Odoi

enigma
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Just now, bisright1 said:

Yeah it stopped every Chelsea player in the squad from playing football for a couple of months. 

Somehow everyone but CHO is back at match fitness and starting games. Even RLC. 

And who else in the team had covid besides Callum ? Have you not seen the reports of people taking months to get over covid ? 

Iam going out on a limb here  he was sh*t yesterday  because he dont have the hunger  > this seems a issue with 

many of the up and comming new players all around the game today at all clubs .

they Get paid bags and bags of money hence the hunger falls off 

7 hours ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Nail on the head Jonty. He made Matic look like a league 2 player when he skipped by him, if he wasn’t so desperate to snatch at the chance he’d probably have scored that. 

I also wish people would get over the contract sh*te. I wasn’t happy with it at the time as I don’t think any young player deserves that much. However, you need to consider the circumstances and the club deemed him worthy and most importantly - it’s not your money. So accept that he’s paid a lot of money and move on, using it as a stick to beat him as soon as you think he’s had a subpar performance is getting tedious.

People wouldn't be bringing up contract sh*te if CHO wasn't failing on and off the pitch. So when you're getting a fortune every week while your manager hints at lack of effort in training and you look disinterested and lazy when given an opportunity to play, what are the fans supposed to do, sing him praises for just being there? The same reason no one is talking about how much Pulisic or Mount are making and I'm sure they're on big wages, but they concentrate on what matters, their job and it shows in their performances. CHO needs to do the same.

3 minutes ago, coco said:

And who else in the team had covid besides Callum ? Have you not seen the reports of people taking months to get over covid ? 

Okay. You are free to twist your brain to decide the reason he hasn't been at it is because of covid, despite no evidence from the club, from lampard or from Callum that it is related to flu like illness that a small minority of young people have long term affects from.

It's perfectly reasonable for people to base his lack of playing time and Frank's comments about him not showing it in training as evidence that he isn't working hard enough in training. 

8 minutes ago, coco said:

He must have been carrying the virus for the last two seasons judging by his performances, poor lad. Probably gave it to Kepa, from the looks of it, too.

You don't have to be that harsh to the kid. He'll learn or Frank will keep him grounded. 

Cristiano Ronaldo was a showboating prick who didn't really focus as much in-game but the right guidance made him to what he is today. 

He's 19, immaturity will play a part in the process. 

45 minutes ago, bisright1 said:

Yeah it stopped every Chelsea player in the squad from playing football for a couple of months. 

Somehow everyone but CHO is back at match fitness and starting games. Even RLC. 

Reuben still isn't on his game yet though, he is getting there though with minutes on the pitch, something Callum needs as well.

18 minutes ago, Malcolm9 said:

Reuben still isn't on his game yet though, he is getting there though with minutes on the pitch, something Callum needs as well.

You do know that this chat started by me and someone else saying CHO isn't getting minutes because Frank doesn't trust him and he isn't working hard in training. 

It seems to have ended with you saying CHO isn't getting minutes because he isn't getting minutes whilst someone else says it is because he had coronavirus.

The lengths some people go to protect our players from any criticism is insane. 

Edited by bisright1

7 minutes ago, bisright1 said:

You do know that this chat started by me and someone else saying CHO isn't getting minutes because Frank doesn't trust him and he isn't working hard in training. 

It seems to have ended with you saying CHO isn't getting minutes because he isn't getting minutes whilst someone else says it is because he had coronavirus.

Let's wait for CHO a bit, next season if things stay as they are we will have 3 wingers so CHO will get plenty of chances to show if he has it or not. 

Next season is either make or break for him, I won't judge a winger for giving away a silly penalty that's just unlucky.

3 minutes ago, bisright1 said:

A couple of matches into the restart a few people here remarked on how the young players didn't seem to have come out of the lockdown as well as the experienced players. I wonder if the kids hadn't realised how much work is involved in keeping yourself fit with limited room to work with. After all, they've probably been bouncing around and playing football since they were three, and assumed their bodies would stay fit as they had always done. The oldies know better...

Anyway, this fitness issue, the come-back from injury, and having caught the virus, perhaps with a tinge of not working as hard as he should, could be the mix of elements that's stopping Lampard from giving him more minutes.

6 minutes ago, Valerie said:

A couple of matches into the restart a few people here remarked on how the young players didn't seem to have come out of the lockdown as well as the experienced players. I wonder if the kids hadn't realised how much work is involved in keeping yourself fit with limited room to work with. After all, they've probably been bouncing around and playing football since they were three, and assumed their bodies would stay fit as they had always done. The oldies know better...

Anyway, this fitness issue, the come-back from injury, and having caught the virus, perhaps with a tinge of not working as hard as he should, could be the mix of elements that's stopping Lampard from giving him more minutes.

My theory is that the time off has given the older players the long overdue time to recover they needed rather than the other way around. 

I'm all got waiting until next season for CHO to see how he does, we will see next season if he becomes the player that some think he will be, personally I predict he won't make it.

I mainly just can't stand the mental gymnastics people are getting into to defend some players. He's not getting minutes because Frank doesn't think he's good enough. Every other player has got more minutes than him other than Bats and Pedro. Theres nothing else to it. Maybe he comes good next year. Let's see. 

I have never seen the potential as anything more than a squad player.  Doesn’t seem to have the appetite to push himself and clearly has an ego. 

RLC and Mount have far more potential to establish themselves. 

CHO and Tammy won’t make it here. I would be absolutely delighted and ecstatic to be proved wrong. 

2 hours ago, abramovich said:

People wouldn't be bringing up contract sh*te if CHO wasn't failing on and off the pitch. 

Other way round, if it wasn't for the contract people won't be holding him to such obscene standards. 

I remember against Arsenal he created about 6/7 chances and even then people were banging on about how "sh*t" he was.

7 minutes ago, Argo said:

His comments practically mirrored what he said about Pulisic last September.

And maybe, maybe, CHO will turn it around. 

But until then, the reason he isn't being played isn't because he was injured last year or because he had covid. 

Edited by bisright1

1 minute ago, Argo said:

Other way round, if it wasn't for the contract people won't be holding him to such obscene standards. 

I remember against Arsenal he created about 6/7 chances and even then people were banging on about how "sh*t" he was.

I disagree. There are plenty of people, me included, who never mention his contract issue when criticizing CHO.

And what obscene standards are we talking about here? I'm yet to see anything from him even remotely close to what a top talent is supposed to produce. United's Greenwood and Arsenal's Saka are younger than him and have been performing comfortably better this season than CHO ever did in a Chelsea shirt. I'm not expecting to turn into a superstar overnight but he looks light years away from what even a squad player in a top club should be like. 

OK, injuries played their part but there were doubts about his attitude even before Lampard's comments. Something is off with this lad and he needs to sort it out.

Some people have set their stall out on Callum, they will take some budging, but to be honest i dont care what they think, the club wont give up on him so easily, neither will Frank, and we will be rewarded for our patients, i just hope those who doubt him have a bit more patients with their teenage kids because the rewards can be huge.

21 minutes ago, Argo said:

His comments practically mirrored what he said about Pulisic last September.

Not really. Pulisic was struggling in a new league but Frank told him to keep working hard in training and Christian heeded the advice and as a result he won the starting spot back.

https://www.therealchelseafans.com/2019/09/pulisic-reveals-what-lampard-told-him-after-benching-him-against-brighton/

It now appears that Pulisic is fourth choice winger at Chelsea as he’s currently behind Willian, Pedro and Hudson-Odoi.

Pulisic has been an unused sub in four of the last five Chelsea games, and he has admitted his Chelsea frustration.

The 21-year-old has revealed that the only message Chelsea boss Frank Lampard sent to him is to keep working hard.

Asked if he had been given feedback from Lampard about winning back his place, Pulisic told Pro Soccer Talk: “Not so much. He said to keep working and I have to improve myself in training and try to get back in the line-up.”

Pulisic has likened his situation to what happened at Borussia Dortmund when Jadon Sancho took his place after bursting onto the scene, and he believes he can draw on that experience and get back into the team by working hard.

He continued: “In the end I got minutes again and I played well towards the end of the season, so I just have to get my head down and get to work.

“It is not going to be easy here, but it was never going to be easy.”

On his time at Chelsea so far, Pulisic revealed that it won’t be easy but he will work hard to the challenge.

He added: “The city is great, I’ve enjoyed it. It has been good but it has been a change. There are going to be challenges.

“I knew it was going to be tough coming here. It is never going to be easy. I’ve got to grind out. I want to be back and be a part of the team and help the team win games.

“I want to play as many minutes as I can, that is really my goal, I want to be on the field… It is tough for me right now. I just have to continue to learn. Like I said, I want to be on the field really bad, I have to continue to work and prove myself to be there.”

10 minutes ago, abramovich said:

I disagree. There are plenty of people, me included, who never mention his contract issue when criticizing CHO.

And what obscene standards are we talking about here? I'm yet to see anything from him even remotely close to what a top talent is supposed to produce. United's Greenwood and Arsenal's Saka are younger than him and have been performing comfortably better this season than CHO ever did in a Chelsea shirt. I'm not expecting to turn into a superstar overnight but he looks light years away from what even a squad player in a top club should be like. 

OK, injuries played their part but there were doubts about his attitude even before Lampard's comments. Something is off with this lad and he needs to sort it out.

What other explanation is there when a player gets slated despite creating numerous openings in a big game?

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1220075642672361473/pu/vid/1280x720/pxw0D8pxS2LvRgCH.mp4

There's about 5 openings there and that didn't include the assist he got from a brilliantly times ball into the box.

He's had a rut in the winter but this notion he's not shown any potential atall during his time in the Chelsea first team is just simply not true.

34 minutes ago, Argo said:

What other explanation is there when a player gets slated despite creating numerous openings in a big game?

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1220075642672361473/pu/vid/1280x720/pxw0D8pxS2LvRgCH.mp4

There's about 5 openings there and that didn't include the assist he got from a brilliantly times ball into the box.

He's had a rut in the winter but this notion he's not shown any potential atall during his time in the Chelsea first team is just simply not true.

So one decent outing in a sea of mediocrity is supposed to convince me? It's not like we're discussing here a transfer target from another club and debate whether his youtube highlights are to be trusted. You can pick pretty much any player and make him look good by picking the moments he played well. Do you want to compile the rest of the footage where he played like crap and looked like he couldn't be bothered?

And I'm not doubting his potential or his natural ability, that's not the point. Obviously he has talent, no one argues that. Whether he has the right mentality to suceed in a club like Chelsea and whether he works hard enough in training is what we're talkng about. 

Edited by abramovich

18 minutes ago, abramovich said:

So one decent outing in a sea of mediocrity is supposed to convince me? It's not like we're discussing here a transfer target from another club and debate whether his youtube highlights are to be trusted. You can pick pretty much any player and make him look good by picking the moments he played well. Do you want to compile the rest of the footage where he played like crap and looked like he couldn't be bothered?

And I'm not doubting his potential or his natural ability, that's not the point. Obviously he has talent, no one argues that. Whether he has the right mentality to suceed in a club like Chelsea and whether he works hard enough in training is what we're talkng about. 

Just because that's the one I linked doesn't mean it was just "one decent outing" he was probably our best player that month all in all for starters.

And as I keep saying, he wouldn't be as well liked by his teammates as he quite clearly is if his attitude was poor, infact if he "couldn't be bothered" yesterday he would have probably got a bit less stick as he wouldn't have been so far back to concede the pen.

While I don't think any one of the problems cho has had recently would be enough to affect him i do think the cumulative effect could. In the past 6 months hes had quite a lot to deal with, even for a grown experienced adult.

• Contract talks played out in public with a huge amount of pressure on his decision, and some abuse.
  • His first really bad injury, an injury that takes a hell of a lot to recover from.
  • Lockdown
  • Covid illness
  • Rank stupidity in bringing a girl to his room and the subsequent police intervention leading to press speculation. 

All of this will absolutely have affected him mentally as well as physically and I think we need to cut him some slack. Frank is on his case and will hopefully get him right during the pre season. Next season he has a lot to live up to and I'm confident he will.. 

12 minutes ago, dkw said:

While I don't think any one of the problems cho has had recently would be enough to affect him i do think the cumulative effect could. In the past 6 months hes had quite a lot to deal with, even for a grown experienced adult.

• Contract talks played out in public with a huge amount of pressure on his decision, and some abuse.
  • His first really bad injury, an injury that takes a hell of a lot to recover from.
  • Lockdown
  • Covid illness
  • Rank stupidity in bringing a girl to his room and the subsequent police intervention leading to press speculation. 

All of this will absolutely have affected him mentally as well as physically and I think we need to cut him some slack. Frank is on his case and will hopefully get him right during the pre season. Next season he has a lot to live up to and I'm confident he will.. 

If I was a Chelsea coach, or a friend, I wouldn't be slagging him off. But it's a Chelsea forum and the facts are,

1) Since the restart, Lampard has given him 0 meaningful minutes. 

2) Lampard has publicly said he needs to work harder in training. 

We can speculate all we like as to why. But either he's not working hard enough or he's not kicking on otherwise he would be playing. 

There are tonnes of examples of world class 16 year olds turning into average 20 year olds. He's not.going anywhere because of his contract, he will keep getting chances. But 100% the reason he is not playing is down to him. Nothing else.