Callum Hudson-Odoi

enigma
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

On 24/11/2021 at 15:02, Deino said:

I'm glad the club gave him time and Tuchel being hard on him early on has made him focused and effective. 

He used to try fancy flicks or dribble into blind alleys but now every decision he makes is to inflict the most damage to an opponent's defence.

Long may it continue

Yes he has improved but the biggest key key is right now he is playing on the left which make it easier for him to make passes to dangerous area plus Chilwell has been playing more like inverted wb so it allow cho to play outside more. 

1 hour ago, Bob stark said:

Yes he has improved but the biggest key key is right now he is playing on the left which make it easier for him to make passes to dangerous area plus Chilwell has been playing more like inverted wb so it allow cho to play outside more. 

Did my head in when Tuchel kept on playing him as a RWB. Glad we have moved on from that.

On 27/11/2021 at 05:03, Bob stark said:

By playing him as wb you are basically asking our most multi dimenonal winger to do one thing only. 

The way Tuchel is using wing backs at the moment seems to give them license to appear where ever the f**k they like on the pitch going forward as long as they’re doing their defensive duties too. A multi-dimensional winger should thrive if they’ve got the work ethic. 

CHO has done well recently. He has looked the brightest from the attacking play, missed a good chance against man utd but at least he is not afraid of taking players on and shooting. 

I didn't like him at rwb because i believe left side suits him best (same with Pulisic) which makes me curious to see how he would perform as a lwb. I think he would be a pleasant surprise. 

1 hour ago, Gentian said:

CHO has done well recently. He has looked the brightest from the attacking play, missed a good chance against man utd but at least he is not afraid of taking players on and shooting. 

I didn't like him at rwb because i believe left side suits him best (same with Pulisic) which makes me curious to see how he would perform as a lwb. I think he would be a pleasant surprise. 

If we want to play with these offensive creative wingbacks he is the best one for the task without Ben imo. 

Alonso is too slow, too cumbersome to make it work.

15 hours ago, Munkworth said:

The way Tuchel is using wing backs at the moment seems to give them license to appear where ever the f**k they like on the pitch going forward as long as they’re doing their defensive duties too. A multi-dimensional winger should thrive if they’ve got the work ethic. 

I think you only look at the game  once the ball in final third. You need to look at the overall game. As wb, you won't get the ball early, you always start behind your winger. Plus you need to spend more energy running back defensively. 

15 minutes ago, KonaKai Blue said:

Cannot shoot. If you haven't got it you haven't got it. Same with RLC. No confidence or power in their shooting. It's always a style where they try to pass or place it in the net.

His finishing is as bad as Timos. When he got that chance I just knew he would not take it, and it was a sitter. CP would have scored that imo.

For me CHO is doing everything except creating chances, when he first burst onto the first team scene he was a creative force I thought he was our Hazard replacement until he got injured. Recently he's been showing a selfish streak that has not impressed me. 

I have no issue with a player shooting on site, we all know we struggle with not enough players shooting when an opportunity arises. Yet I've seen CHO shoot in a handful of occasions this season where a simple pass is a goal. Guess what in all of those games we dropped points. Now I'm not blaming him specifically for the dropped points but surely TT can see what we all see, we know Tommy is a big fan of his and maybe it's his fault perhaps he's telling Callum to shoot more, but surely not to the detriment of the team?

2 minutes ago, LongtimerLurker said:

For me CHO is doing everything except creating chances, when he first burst onto the first team scene he was a creative force I thought he was our Hazard replacement until he got injured. Recently he's been showing a selfish streak that has not impressed me. 

I have no issue with a player shooting on site, we all know we struggle with not enough players shooting when an opportunity arises. Yet I've seen CHO shoot in a handful of occasions this season where a simple pass is a goal. Guess what in all of those games we dropped points. Now I'm not blaming him specifically for the dropped points but surely TT can see what we all see, we know Tommy is a big fan of his and maybe it's his fault perhaps he's telling Callum to shoot more, but surely not to the detriment of the team?

Huh? He hasn’t been selfish, far from that. Fans seem to be running with this narrative that was dropped points because he didn’t pass to Werner, it’s a false one. He had 2 shots & both were on target, I don’t think you can ask for more than that. He has also made the most key passes (4). I can’t wrap my head around why fans seems to always have a go at him whenever he is involved and we drop points. There were 3 other players that started and put on a worse performance.

CHO: 2 shots on target, 4 key passes

James: 3 shots off target, 1 key pass

Ziyech: 2 Shots on target, 2 blocked shots, 2 shots off target, 2 key passes

Werner: 2 shots off target, 2 blocked shots

8 minutes ago, ducavis said:

Huh? He hasn’t been selfish, far from that. Fans seem to be running with this narrative that was dropped points because he didn’t pass to Werner, it’s a false one. He had 2 shots & both were on target, I don’t think you can ask for more than that. He has also made the most key passes (4). I can’t wrap my head around why fans seems to always have a go at him whenever he is involved and we drop points. There were 3 other players that started and put on a worse performance.

Is CHO the new scapegoat for some people? Yesterday in the match chat someone actually said that if we weren't going to win this, it would be on CHO for not scoring :face_palm:   Not sure how one player can be blamed, being one player in an 11-man team, with many outfield players who have scored whatever their position.  

11 minutes ago, ducavis said:

There is no narrative my friend its quite simple I watched Timo free at the back post for a literal tap in and CHO shot and had it saved. Now I dont want to come across condescending but that isn't acceptable if you have a teammate square and you shoot you have to score there's no question about it. 

The second shot you spoke of again Timo makes a darting run into the box and Callum doesn't even attempt to play him through instead he shoots with two defenders in front of him, it gets blocked and its an easy save for the keeper.

Now I don't know about you but if I'm the coach and I see this I'm not very impressed. It all comes down to actual goals and assists not key pass stats because in the end none of those resulted in any actual impact on the scoreline. 

As an under 16s coach I'll tell you the one thing I drill into my players, its not about personal glory the team must always come first. If he wants a goal then by all means score when we're already a goal up but you cannot ignore an open team mate at the back post that my friend will result in dropped points do you want to know how I know because I saw him do the same thing vs Burnley when Reece was free to the right hand side point blank.

I don't blame CHO for the 1-1 draw but I do think he is part of the problem. I hold him in a very high regard and that's why I'm disappointed because I know he's one of the best playmakers in the team yet I haven't really seen him prove it since his injury.

I'm glad he shoots more but there is a time and a place. Ask yourself if that had been any other player would the reaction be any different its not that there is a narrative around Callum it's just the fact that he's developing a habbit of a selfish streak and I dont want him to become another player who has the mentality like Sadio Mane who is very selfish.

21 minutes ago, ducavis said:

Think that his poor finishing is amplified because we already have Werner who could not hit the broad side of a barn with a shotgun from 5 yards.

So when CHO is gifted a one on one with DDG and instead of simply rolling the ball in to the unguarded corner he hits is straight at DDG it brings on a whole "oh jeez not another Werner in the team"...

5 minutes ago, LongtimerLurker said:

There is no narrative my friend its quite simple I watched Timo free at the back post for a literal tap in and CHO shot and had it saved. Now I dont want to come across condescending but that isn't acceptable if you have a teammate square and you shoot you have to score there's no question about it. 

The second shot you spoke of again Timo makes a darting run into the box and Callum doesn't even attempt to play him through instead he shoots with two defenders in front of him, it gets blocked and its an easy save for the keeper.

Now I don't know about you but if I'm the coach and I see this I'm not very impressed. It all comes down to actual goals and assists not key pass stats because in the end none of those resulted in any actual impact on the scoreline. 

As an under 16s coach I'll tell you the one thing I drill into my players, its not about personal glory the team must always come first. If he wants a goal then by all means score when we're already a goal up but you cannot ignore an open team mate at the back post that my friend will result in dropped points do you want to know how I know because I saw him do the same thing vs Burnley when Reece was free to the right hand side point blank.

I don't blame CHO for the 1-1 draw but I do think he is part of the problem. I hold him in a very high regard and that's why I'm disappointed because I know he's one of the best playmakers in the team yet I haven't really seen him prove it since his injury.

I'm glad he shoots more but there is a time and a place. Ask yourself if that had been any other player would the reaction be any different its not that there is a narrative around Callum it's just the fact that he's developing a habbit of a selfish streak and I dont want him to become another player who has the mentality like Sadio Mane who is very selfish.

Agree with this. Team always needs to come first. CHO dumped extra pressure on himself with the U21 snub imo.

2 minutes ago, strider6004 said:

I think he has improved recently just not fortunate in front of goal and sometimes decision making is questionable.

I thought De Gea made a good save for his first chance. 

He just had to stand there and CHO drove his shot at his left leg. He gets lucky it deflects wide, just as we get unlucky thst Sancho picks the selfish option rather than pass to Rashford for an open goal but he places his shot. Was not a wild hit, was cool and composed pass in to the corner.

Unlike CHO who produced a Timo hit and hope for the best moment.

Now the only saving grace is we know Timo has missed from here before but it looks pretty clear cut to me if you zoom in, square that to the striker since that's what he's in the job to do. We criticse Timo but he doesn't get enough chances like these.

Genuine question do people think if Rom was there he would have still shot or do you think he passes? I'm inclined to think he still shoots and then gets an earful from Rom after, I could spin it as lack of trust in Timo but I honestly think CHO thought he would score. Passing is imo the best option here 

Screenshot_20211129-164221_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20211129-164239_YouTube.jpg

Sadly this channel hasn't added the other chance where CHO can slip in Timo but you can't really tell from the still but if you watch in real time Callum is quite close to the keeper and the angle is quite tight. Since he's close it means the balls starts out closer to the keeper before it can curl towards the far corner, giving the keeper a chance to save it with his feet. I think a lot of world class keepers make that save I place less emphasis on the miss and the save and more on the actual angle of the shot it was always going to he hard to score and an elite fwd does however Callum isn't there yet.

People are always free to interpret football however they want that's the point of this place. For me it's harder to score there than it looks, so passing would make the odds of scoring much more favourable so therefore a player must decide between what they believe to be the right play. I'm not even sure Callum knows Timo is there which may indicate not a selfish streak but a lack of awareness which is still an issue in of itself because he needs to have his head up as he receives the ball to assess his options.

https://youtu.be/y-2C6DifXhs 

3 hours ago, LongtimerLurker said:

Sadly this channel hasn't added the other chance where CHO can slip in Timo but you can't really tell from the still but if you watch in real time Callum is quite close to the keeper and the angle is quite tight. Since he's close it means the balls starts out closer to the keeper before it can curl towards the far corner, giving the keeper a chance to save it with his feet. I think a lot of world class keepers make that save I place less emphasis on the miss and the save and more on the actual angle of the shot it was always going to he hard to score and an elite fwd does however Callum isn't there yet.

People are always free to interpret football however they want that's the point of this place. For me it's harder to score there than it looks, so passing would make the odds of scoring much more favourable so therefore a player must decide between what they believe to be the right play. I'm not even sure Callum knows Timo is there which may indicate not a selfish streak but a lack of awareness which is still an issue in of itself because he needs to have his head up as he receives the ball to assess his options.

https://youtu.be/y-2C6DifXhs 

You can't tell from that where Werner is when CHO looks up, is he visible or sandwiched between defenders. If they look too long they may get dispossesed.

Great headed pass from Alonso to CHO and later a decent strike from Rudiger.