Callum Hudson-Odoi

enigma
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

I don't think he looked very sharp yesterday, which is understandable as he just came back from quarantine and was asked to play 90 minutes immediately due to circumstances. But he still came up with an assist and won us a penalty, so credit to him.

Edited by True Blue23

4 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

Finishing needs a lot of work (who's doesn't right now?) but his overall game is currently far more consistent, effective and just better overall than any other attacking player in the team right now. He should be starting the majority of the games over Ziyech and Pulisic right now.

I'm still not convinced Scott TBH; he's just not consistent enough for me.  He'll have a one or two decent games, then fade have a sh*te spell where he can only make the bench.  Even yesterday, although fans are raving, I don't think he took anyone on and beat them convincingly and that's his problem for me. As a winger he needs to be taking on the full backs and beating them a good % of the time; as much as I don't like Sterling, it's like night and day between him and CHO and that's why Sterling makes the England team.  Robben in his day was excellent and even if you go back far enough, I remember watching Charlie Cooke leave defenders on their arse even though he wasn't the fastest, Best did it too they'd take defenders; CHO is nowhere near the calibre of either of them at the moment.

1 hour ago, CFCCAN said:

I'm still not convinced Scott TBH; he's just not consistent enough for me.  He'll have a one or two decent games, then fade have a sh*te spell

This could be said for literally every player in the squad, that's why it's better to look at the bigger picture in the final result, in the 8 league games he has started in, we have won 6 and drew 2, scored 24 conceded 4.

5 hours ago, Argo said:

Callum's performance yesterday is yet another example of why the assist stat needs some serious redefining.

On record he has one assist, in reality he had three.

Assists records in reality are mostly sh*t. 
Callum cross for Lukaku was a genuine assist. The pen were he was taken down running towards the by- line was an awful tackle by the defender and should be his assist. If who wins the pen gets an assist then the third goal is a Lukaku assist not CHO who passed to him.

22 minutes ago, goose said:

Callum cross for Lukaku was a genuine assist. The pen were he was taken down running towards the by- line was an awful tackle by the defender and should be his assist. If who wins the pen gets an assist then the third goal is a Lukaku assist not CHO who passed to him.

I always say regarding the assist stat you can make the best pass in football history but you still relying on someone else to do their job for it to go on record while on the other end of the spectrum whoever passed to Hazard before his Anfield wonder goals got an "assist".

Unless they assist at an inhuman rate like KDB or Fabregas I tend to look at metrics like chances created and xA when gauging a players creativity.

8 hours ago, goose said:

IMO any stats is always good with context. If you just debate stats then it is nonsense. 

Role and how your team play big factor in stat. A very2 good example is benzema. Just look at his number pre and post Ronaldo.

Speaking of Robben I recently watched a repeat of the Highbury win in 2005 and the commentator said when Robben scored it was just his 2nd goal of the season (the game was mid December).

Imagine how much stick he'd get in today's game for not getting his 2nd of the season until near the halfway point.

2 hours ago, Argo said:

Speaking of Robben I recently watched a repeat of the Highbury win in 2005 and the commentator said when Robben scored it was just his 2nd goal of the season (the game was mid December).

Imagine how much stick he'd get in today's game for not getting his 2nd of the season until near the halfway point.

A quick look back and he got player of the month for November so he must have been doing something right. 

He's not the answer.

If they had everyone fit I don't think he would start for the likes of Leicester, Everton, Wolves and those teams around there. So that indicates a problem then when he's considered a starter here and evenly matched with his competitors for that inside forward spot. Clearly we need a lot more.

Had such high hopes for CHO and who knows, he may still come good. 

But I keep hearing how he is on form and our best winger but I still never see him take on and beat a full back and keep seeing him make wrong decision after wrong decision. Should have put the game to bed tonight but blew it again. Disappointing.

Edited by Nibs

31 minutes ago, dansubrosa said:

Is he really worth keeping?

I’ve not really seen anything that suggests he could become Chelsea quality, not since that injury. He’s lost that burst of pace under Sarri.

Absolutely terrible tonight.

I agree, he has lost pace after that injury. Look at him in pre season under Sarri and look at him now, he looks so slow and sluggish.

3 minutes ago, Nibs said:

Had such high hopes for CHO and who knows, he may still come good. 

But I keep hearing how he our on form and our best winger but I still never see him take on and beat a full back and keep seeing him make wrong decision after wrong decision. Should have put the game to bed tonight but blew it again. Disappointing.

Think you know my view on him. I see nothing special about him at all. Doesn't tick any of the boxes that I'd look for in an up and coming young player. Average technical ability,  below average effort and well below average confidence/arrogance. I was happy to let him go to Germany when there was an offer on the table and I've seen very little to suggest that offer was worth turning down.