We've got a new Kepa

Zeta
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

34 minutes ago, dkw said:

So what exactly could he have done about those 2 goals on the weekend, and who would have saved them?

I think its more frustration than anything else, against United they had 5 shots on target and we conceded 4 goals against Liverpool we conceded 3 shots on target and conceded 2 and with City first 2 shots on target resulted in 2 goals (In the end they had 4 on target).

Like I said in my previous post his confidence seems to be down and the 2 we conceded against City for the first one he went early and the deflection hurt us and the 2nd one was a tough one to get to. I still think we need a viable 2nd option to rotate if a keeper is low on confidence, I think that a lot of the time when a player is low on confidence it is better to take them out of the firing line and allow them to build themselves backup on the training field rather than keep them out there.

Poor kick yesterday, but not his worse game this season. 

I know it shouldn't, but i think his price tag does mean he is going to come in for closer scrutiny. 

Theres areas of his game im really not a fan of, i would much prefer a keeper like oblak, who might not be as renowned for his ability on the ball, but he is a fantastic shot stopper that commands his area. 

Kepa is still young and adapting, so maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel, perhaps if given does come in, he can help kepa realize his potential. 

He’ll be fine.  Only just turned 25.  Yes he has weak wrists at times and doesn’t command the area.  He’s still better than all but maybe 3 keepers in the PL.

Our back line has been better but let’s not forget, it is not great.  And our left side with Tomori & Emerson/Alonso has been a goddamn nightmare at times.  

Someone mentioned they think Kepa is overthinking things.  I can definitely see that.  A more solid defense in front of him is the perfect way to give him more confidence.  Rüdiger will help.

I think some of you know by now that I’m not a fan of Kepa. I don’t think he will be good enough, I feel it’s only a matter of time until we give up on him.

He’s just everything that is wrong with a keeper - Weak hands, short height, can’t take charge when defending corners, the only thing that is good about him is his passing, people perceive him better than he actually is, because he’s a modern goalkeeper. Just my opinion.

Obviously I hope he proves me wrong.

9 minutes ago, dansubrosa said:

I think some of you know by now that I’m not a fan of Kepa. I don’t think he will be good enough, I feel it’s only a matter of time until we give up on him.

He’s just everything that is wrong with a keeper - Weak hands, short height, can’t take charge when defending corners, the only thing that is good about him is his passing, people perceive him better than he actually is, because he’s a modern goalkeeper. Just my opinion.

I think you are probably right and a decision will be needed at season's end.

12 minutes ago, dansubrosa said:

Couldn't agree more, if any of us on here were an opposition manager you would without doubt target Kepa as a huge weak link in the team, as a keeper you really have to have a bit of a swagger and always look as if your in control as it's the most pressurised position in team, sadly Kepa looks like a rabbit caught in headlights and far from in control, we won't even mention his commanding of area or shot stopping, hope he improves but is way way off at present, I worry he has to far to come. Has till end of season then I'm sure Frank will reasses

10 hours ago, mwblue10 said:

He’ll be fine.  Only just turned 25.  Yes he has weak wrists at times and doesn’t command the area.  He’s still better than all but maybe 3 keepers in the PL.

Our back line has been better but let’s not forget, it is not great.  And our left side with Tomori & Emerson/Alonso has been a goddamn nightmare at times.  

Someone mentioned they think Kepa is overthinking things.  I can definitely see that.  A more solid defense in front of him is the perfect way to give him more confidence.  Rüdiger will help.

But sadly the stats don't seem to agree. Some of the stats are quite scary actually. 

13 hours ago, chi blue said:

Couldn't agree more, if any of us on here were an opposition manager you would without doubt target Kepa

Exactly right. target Kepa, shoot and aim for him as much as possible.

We concede from 1 in every 6 shots on our goal.    1/6

Leicester 1 in 16.  1/16

Lpool 1/12

Spuds 1/9 

Arse 1/11

1 hour ago, coco said:

Exactly right. target Kepa, shoot and aim for him as much as possible.

We concede from 1 in every 6 shots on our goal.    1/6

Leicester 1 in 16.  1/16

Lpool 1/12

Spuds 1/9 

Arse 1/11

Think i may of said before, but Kepa just reminds me of a pitch player who goes in goal for the practice match after training, nothing what so ever seems to come natural with him, a pitch player that goes in goal,  has no  natural positional sense, is nervous about coming for high balls, has soft hands when should be firm and firm hands when should be soft, a pitch player who goes in goal for a 20 minute kick about may get away with it, but after that will soon get found out, sadly at present Kepa has been found out. Don't like criticizing keepers especially ours but, but christ almighty for 70m we should of been expecting more than this though, am I right in thinking he's 25? if this is the case then he has no chance, appreciate keepers peak later but he aint a young lad of 19!!!!

22 hours ago, mwblue10 said:

only 25!!!! and weak wrists at times and doesn't command his area?, he cost 70m and plays for a top premiership team, think we should be expecting more than this, he isn't 19 he's a grown man whose been a pro for a number of years, just don't think he's got it in him I'm afraid, but hope i'm wrong as could be an expensive mistake on the clubs part. 

51 minutes ago, chi blue said:

could be an expensive mistake on the clubs part. 

All the same, we shouldn't consider what he cost us, judge him on his game alone, if he's not good enough replace him.

We faffed around trying to get Morata sparking for half a season too long, just because he cost us a fortune.

I'd give Kepa until the end of the season to turn it around, save everything he should be saving and all's good. If not we need Cech to find us a World class keeper, money no object.

LBH one can analyze his form til the cows come home, sometimes your gut is just as good, hes been at the club a season & a half under 2 different managers/ coaches. He hasn't got better imo, he doesn't match up to Cech or even TC, he doesn't appear to install any confidence in an already suspect back 4 and this season,hes been bang average most of the time, his price tag - well he was a panic buy worth half of what we paid  (e.g. Edison & Allison were cheaper yet are superior and more often than not make a difference to those teams' results). Also if Franks trying to get Shay Given on the coaching staff its because he has identified similar issues with Kepa.  The team has done fantastic under the embargo but once its lifted need another top keeper to compete / takeover the # 1 spot as well as 2 or 3 more in other positions in order to challenge again (LB, CB, Striker).

Sounds like I'm the only one who's not particularly worried about him. The only time I have a little bit of anxiety about him is dealing with crosses with a packed penalty area. He makes all the saves he's supposed to. I can't blame him for any goal we've conceded this season. Maybe some would say he should have saved Ziyech's freekick or Rodrigues goal for Burnley, but if he saves those they would go down as saves of the season. He's not prime Buffon, fair enough, but he's a long way off being a bad goalie.

The talent is there. Courtois no way pulls off that double save that Kepa did in the Super Cup final against Liverpool.

Edited by DannyVblue

4 minutes ago, sonic90 said:

He's giving away the ball from the goal kick way too often, surprisingly enough he's rarely punished by it. Good save for the pen but weak for the first goal, then the second one I don't know what he was doing.

First goal, should always be a goal. a simple tap in from 5 yards or so, just happen that he shot in the middle so it looked like Kepa could have done something but give that chance away 100 times and 99 it's a goal one way or another. 

Edited by Gol15

That second goal is unforgiveable. He dropped his arms, thinking it was going over. What the f**k was he thinking? A terrible terrible error. Not good on the first goal either. Yes he made saves but that's what a keeper's paid to do. You want your keeper to make saves, that's why you play them.

Edit: Top keepers don't let in soft goals. This guy does it regularly.

Edited by Davey Baby