ForeverCarefree

Pre-season matches 2019

As a new Chelsea sympathizer (stereotypical american pulisic fan) I've enjoyed your coverage of the preseason.  I also worry for the back line and strikers of course.

I have watched Dortmund for the last 2 seasons, so here's some thoughts on Batshuayi and Pulisic.  The bats man was also at Dortmund on loan and I'll say that though he has sparks of form, he only did so well because he came off the bench.  He just doesn't have the well rounded and solidified game to be reliable yet.  Expect some ups and downs with him.

Pulisic has energy and determination to "make stuff happen" in a game, which will be a good refreshing feeling for the culture of the team, but half way through the season you'll get annoyed by it too.  It's never out of place on those games where you feel like your team lack the drive to score though.  Regardless he's still a good offensive winger and will tee up lots of assist opportunities.  His big struggle is that his dribbling is better than his finishing, though it's hard to place because while he can finish very well sometimes, he just isn't a person that has that reliable nose for the right type of shot to take in the right moment.  You can and should call it youth, but try as he might it didn't get much better in his 2+ years at Dortmund.

That being said, go crush man u in the opener!

3 hours ago, BostonBall said:

As a new Chelsea sympathizer (stereotypical american pulisic fan) I've enjoyed your coverage of the preseason.  I also worry for the back line and strikers of course.

I have watched Dortmund for the last 2 seasons, so here's some thoughts on Batshuayi and Pulisic.  The bats man was also at Dortmund on loan and I'll say that though he has sparks of form, he only did so well because he came off the bench.  He just doesn't have the well rounded and solidified game to be reliable yet.  Expect some ups and downs with him.

Pulisic has energy and determination to "make stuff happen" in a game, which will be a good refreshing feeling for the culture of the team, but half way through the season you'll get annoyed by it too.  It's never out of place on those games where you feel like your team lack the drive to score though.  Regardless he's still a good offensive winger and will tee up lots of assist opportunities.  His big struggle is that his dribbling is better than his finishing, though it's hard to place because while he can finish very well sometimes, he just isn't a person that has that reliable nose for the right type of shot to take in the right moment.  You can and should call it youth, but try as he might it didn't get much better in his 2+ years at Dortmund.

That being said, go crush man u in the opener!

Agree with you on Bats, off the bench or playing in a front two where he is effectively playing off the other striker. He does not add much apart from scoring so he needs people around him that can provide assists.

Disappointed that Zouma looks like he'd edging out Christensen. As Rudiger will surely come back alongside Luiz when he's fit, pushing AC to 4th choice, and I think he's better than Zouma.

This will be a good test. Salzburg are always up for it against a stronger opponent. Few years ago they won 3-0 against Bayern and others alike.
They got a new Coach and lost good players but i thinks as usual they will try to press high and force erros.

I also don´t understand Zouma over AC. He must feel a bit dissapointed after a year with the first team.

Christensen has certainly been better than Zouma in pre-season but it could be that Frank sees Zouma - Luiz as a better partnership than Christensen and Luiz who are similar in many ways. Hopefully Zouma looks good today.

Also hope to see more from Pulisic today, haven't been overly impressed with what i've seen so far from him in pre-season. Still early days thankfully but we need him to deliver when the season starts and that is just around the corner.

Interesting that he's starting with Tammy up front on his own, with Barkley as a 10. Hopefully he isn't left too isolated. 

10 minutes ago, dkw said:

Interesting that he's starting with Tammy up front on his own, with Barkley as a 10. Hopefully he isn't left too isolated. 

Be good to see how Tammy gets on as a lone striker for me, he’s been ok playing in a 2 but I haven’t seen him play on his own yet. 

What I would like to know is, why is it that most teams seem to be better at pressing than us? Always seem to struggle when we're being pressed where a lot of teams we play seem to be able to break our press with ease.