ForeverCarefree

Pre-season matches 2019

3 minutes ago, Davey Baby said:

He was better than Pedro but Pedro was playing top of the diamond.

Correct. I was actually comparing Pedro's right wing play to that of Kennedy's in this pre-season generally.

A few poor performances today, Bakayoko was the worst of the lot, no suprise there though. Tomori, Zouma, and Luiz werent great either. 

Going forward we just dont have the quality. We were the lowest scorers in the top 6 with hazard last year, so its going to be a real slog this season. 

Not really sold on all 3 of the strikers. Abraham is probably the best option in terms of being able to press, link up, and pitch in with goals. Batshuayi goes missing too often for me, and Giroud cant press, isnt the most clinical, and at 33, he isnt getting any better. 

On the plus side, mount and Barkley both have looked good, although speaking to a few evertonians i know, Barkley always shows up for preseason.

Kenedy looks like a decent squad option, he is definately a better winger than full back, and i think if he just took a leaf out of robben's book and consistantly cut in and shoot on his left, he would be a much better player. 

Hopefully willian, and CHO can add something to the attack we have been missing a bit so far. 

Good work out though.

Thought Christensen, Drinkwater & Barkley did well first half. Bakayoko was his usual self. 

Second half was much better although still dodgy at the back. The narrow diamond suits our players more at the moment for me. 

41 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

How could the club have avoided this situation specifically?

Not tapped up and bought underage players. The club's hunger for making a profit off young loanees has got us into this mess. None of those young players have ever gone on to be a part of the first team so it made no sense. 

Just now, enigma said:

Not tapped up and bought underage players. The club's hunger for making a profit off young loanees has got us into this mess. None of those young players have ever gone on to be a part of the first team so it made no sense. 

The fact the FA were also fined by FIFA for their part in the deals for the youth players means that the football association of the country Chelsea play in was also unaware that what Chelsea were doing was against the rules. 

FIFA are imposing sanctions that are catching huge clubs off guard, Chelsea aren’t the first club and they’re not going to be the last. 

Regarding the striker situation the club, against their better judgment, bought in Higuain in January who was Sarri’s choice. 

We negotiated the option to extend his deal but Sarri’s the one who jumped ship so instead of dropping money on an over the hill striker we’re entrusting our youth. 

1 hour ago, Old Shaggy said:

Moan moan moan. Win a pre-season match 4-3, moan moan moan! I'm bloody looking forward to this season, can't wait for Man United!

We could have a perfect season and people on here would still moan about it. 

3 hours ago, evissy said:

We are still missing some key players in Rudiger, Kante, CHO, RLC and Willian all potential starters so you can't really tell the starting 11.

You are spot on here. The injuries really hurt us with this group. Give me all five in the XI, and everyone well healed and 100% healthy, and I think we will be better than most on here think. No doubt, we are lacking up top. We are easily in the bottom half of the PL clubs with striker talent. Maybe even bottom 25th percentile, but that is probably a stretch. Worst PL goal production from the number 9 in aggregate in the Roman era at Chelsea (Morata-Giroud-Higuain) last season. Perhaps the worst in the PL era for Chelsea. This year's group cannot be much worse as there is nowhere to go but up :biggrin::good2:

As much as we all loved Eden and his seven seasons, would you rather have (i) Diego Costa in his Chelsea prime or (ii) Hazard in his Chelsea prime with THIS year's squad? I would suggest Diego is more needed and would make this team incredibly productive going forward. I believe Frank will have this attacking quicker and more free than most recent years and nowhere near as deliberate around the opposing penalty area. For all of Eden's abilities, assists, scoring, etc., there were times in tight games he could just slow our attack incredibly with passes around the top and back and walking the ball too much. (On a side note, I do not believe that style will play at Real, but we will see if he changes up - hope he does and wish him well!). With the ban, we just need to fight through this season at the striker position and survive. I would not mind two at the top from time to time, Giroud-Abraham or Giroud-Batshuayi. I believe Giroud's experience and hold up play combined with the other's speed could prove beneficial.

I will add that I feel pretty good about our depth at CB this year with a rotation of Luiz-Rudiger-Zouma-Christiansen when everyone is healthy. We need to the depth for the European, domestic and PL campaigns obviously.

Lastly, I believe Frank will have the squad playing more loose and free than any of the recent seasons. Combine with the youth movement and we should have some really fund results. Sure, there will be a few downers in there too, but overall, I think it will prove a quality year. Plus, Frank will rotate the squad better than Conte or Sarri I think.

Only 14 more days.

Come on you Chelsea!! :bluescalf::bluescalf:

4 hours ago, enigma said:

How the club has allowed us to go into a new season with CL football without a top level striker/goal scorer is terrible imcompetence. They really think what we have is good enough? On top of that, they get rid of Hazard and leave another manager with barely enough to work with when it comes to creativity and offensive prowess. I can't help but be concerned going into the new season.

You would think with Champions League football we would be going into the new season with a team capable of progressing as far as possible in all comps, especially the CL. With all the hurrah about being back in the CL, it seems like a total wasted opportunity not to be as strong as possible going into the season. Watching Spurs, Utd and even Arsenal buying well in the market is a real deflater. 

You usually provide good content on this forum but this is complete garbage.  A great time to moan about other teams allegedly buying well when we ourselves cannot register players.

We’ve know for months about the ban, so it’s a real strange time for the viewpoints you have, especially after we just banged in 4 goals and won.

Thought we were going to have a bigger turnout today. 2,200 in the away section but thought the interest would have been more as there were loads of empty seats around the ground. 10£ for adults and 5£ for kids seemed good value as well.

5 hours ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Some days Kenedy looks decent, others he stinks out the joint. 

I think my issue with him is he doesn’t look to do the simple things well often enough. 

He’s almost always looking to run past his man regardless of what else is on, take a shot on even if there’s better options on or even if the angle is against him. 

It’s almost like he’s overconfident in his ability which I suppose is a weird criticism. 

Could be useful to keep around as an extra option but can’t imagine he’d get much if any play time when every one is fit and available. 

He's explosive and used to play high up the the pitch. Very attack minded... Bizarre that he was used as a left back. 

Dribbling past players, driving at goal and shooting is pretty much all he thinks about. 

People mentioning the lack of creativity...

This was Chelsea without their two most creative players and four of their best players. (Plus probably their best defender in Rudiger - though arguably not by much.)

Loftus Cheek

Hudson Odoi

Kante

Kepa

Also the fact that it was a friendly with two sets of players and two sets of formations being used by the manager in one game. 

Edited by GhostOfDembaBa

7 minutes ago, GhostOfDembaBa said:

People mentioning the lack of creativity...

This was Chelsea without their two most creative players and four of their best players. (Plus probably their best defender in Rudiger - though arguably not by much.)

Loftus Cheek

Hudson Odoi

Kante

Kepa

Also the fact that it was a friendly with two sets of players and two sets of formations being used by the manager in one game. 

not sure if you were here last week but people were going nutz for the lost to Kawasaki Frontale FC. Just a lil' reminder about that side, they were in mid-season form & they are the current Champion of Japan.

1 hour ago, Richard P said:

Thought we were going to have a bigger turnout today. 2,200 in the away section but thought the interest would have been more as there were loads of empty seats around the ground. 10£ for adults and 5£ for kids seemed good value as well.

I think there's a few reasons for the modest turnout - It was only a pre-season practice match. It's holiday time. Also, if we're being honest, without Hazard it's a team lacking anykind of big name drawing power. 

Defence was terrible in h2 considering the quality on the field. Some of the goals conceded were comical. For me Zouma and luiz is the wrong combo and on what I’ve seen Christensen deserves to start.

up front I thought Tammy and bats were a terrible combo. They made each other look worse. Neither works hard on the press. Pedro was also pants today. 

United will put three or four past us on that form. But we can do better. I can’t see how to get mason mount and Barkley into the one team. Maybe mount could play top of diamond and Barkley on lefbut I don’t really see it. Pulisic and Emerson will be a good left side. To be honest Dave is pretty crap at his attacking play, so him and Pedro won’t offer much. As others have said none of the strikers impressed. 

For years we seem to have escaped injuries to the squad and like a London bus they seem to have all come at once.

such a pity for the start of SFL reign with having a bit of a light weight squad. Hope Kante can get back for the start of the season as he is the one player that will be missed the most.

We just cannot afford two places to be taken up from the three strikers we have, so defo need to play with one striker.  Hopefully find some way of fitting Barkley and Mount into the team, tho that might be the same problem England managers had with Lampard & Gerrard.

2 hours ago, ozboy said:

Defence was terrible in h2 considering the quality on the field. Some of the goals conceded were comical. For me Zouma and luiz is the wrong combo and on what I’ve seen Christensen deserves to start.

up front I thought Tammy and bats were a terrible combo. They made each other look worse. Neither works hard on the press. Pedro was also pants today. 

United will put three or four past us on that form. But we can do better. I can’t see how to get mason mount and Barkley into the one team. Maybe mount could play top of diamond and Barkley on lefbut I don’t really see it. Pulisic and Emerson will be a good left side. To be honest Dave is pretty crap at his attacking play, so him and Pedro won’t offer much. As others have said none of the strikers impressed. 

It was shambolic tbh, the defending. Couldn't deal properly with balls into the box almost every time. 

Zouma Luis worst possible combination for me.

I like how Mount seems very assured in himself and the way he was arriving into the box scoring/shooting was very lampardesque. He looks tidy as well on the ball, nice feet, good composure. 

Barkley also seems to have upped his game and his confidence is high. It could be Lampard really giving some of these guys the freedom and encouragement to take responsibility and express themselves, to not worry too much about making mistakes. 

It's good to see some of the shackles coming off. 

Yep. Both strikers just didn't click and Azpi supplying ammunition on the right flank leaves a lot to be desired. 

Tbh, Zappacosta is probably the better choice for that but I hope Reece James gets a stab at proving himself there.