Gabriel Barbosa

dansubrosa

11 minutes ago, mwblue10 said:

He was worse than awful for Inter. But seems to have found form back in Brazil. Not sure that means much though.

He didnt start a single game, 10 cameo's of less than 15 minutes. Not really enough to say he was worse than awful. Maybe his attitude wasnt right, and the move came little too soon for him, maybe he also poorly managed.

If the club cant get werner, or Dembele, then i think he would be a decent cheap option, which will still leave us with funds to have a look at it again the summer.

He has had a fantastic 18 months, by all accounts though, hopefully he will kick on in his career. Coutinho also had trouble at inter, and we know how Salah was at chelsea. He has talent no doubt. Its just a case of whether he can do it in the premiership. 

2 hours ago, big blue said:

He didnt start a single game, 10 cameo's of less than 15 minutes. Not really enough to say he was worse than awful. Maybe his attitude wasnt right, and the move came little too soon for him, maybe he also poorly managed.

If the club cant get werner, or Dembele, then i think he would be a decent cheap option, which will still leave us with funds to have a look at it again the summer.

He has had a fantastic 18 months, by all accounts though, hopefully he will kick on in his career. Coutinho also had trouble at inter, and we know how Salah was at chelsea. He has talent no doubt. Its just a case of whether he can do it in the premiership. 

Agree with all of this. Only concern will be disciplinary issues, and he thrives better in a 2.

I looked at goals he's scored this season in Brazil and he is much more the type we need in terms of type of goals he scores as opposed to Werner. Most of Werners goals have come from counter attacks. At home we have have zero counter attacks. We need a player who can score from anywhere and in any type of situations. I won't say Werner can't but according to YouTube Barbosa is much more the all-rounder poacher and his team plays against congested defences.

14 hours ago, big blue said:

Alright that’s fair. Perhaps I should have said his Inter spell was just disappointing and he had minimal impact there.

32 minutes ago, enigma said:

This all feels like deja vu transfer windows when we brought in mediocre players rather than top players. 

Look at the team who are looking set to win the league breaking all sorts of records, how many of their players were "top" players at the point they were signed? 

Not necessarily saying Gabigol will turn into a top player but this notion that we should only be going for "top"/marquee players is so wildly inaccurate.

I won't be very happy with this move. Gabriel for me is that player that only feels comfortable playing in his home country, this Flamengo team is one of the greatest teams in south america but in europe would be just average. Gabriel did f**k all when he was on loan here in Portugal at benfica, and this is a farmer's league

Plus think about how much top players cost! If the likes of Zaha and Maguire are going for 80m, I dread to think how much Griezmann, Sancho etc would cost.

Its not sustainable really and unfortunately we don’t have the power huge clubs do like Man United, the Spanish clubs.

I agree we should spend big to replace Hazard, but apart from that signing a world class striker for what, 140m isn’t realistic. To be fair we’ve been unlucky with our signings - Bakayoko, Emerson could have turned out to be world beaters, it just wasn’t to be. Liverpool got very lucky with Robertson, Mane, Salah etc I’m pretty certain they never saw these players becoming as good as they are now. I could say the same for Firmino.

1 hour ago, Bluesince66 said:

I have read elsewhere Chelsea has no interest in Barbosa,so it looks like this won't happen.

Was never convinced myself.  One random rumour and it blew up into a done deal almost.  If he comes to England, I suspect its West Ham.  Or like a mid table club with a bit of cash.  Cant rule out him staying at Flamengo 

13 hours ago, Argo said:

Look at the team who are looking set to win the league breaking all sorts of records, how many of their players were "top" players at the point they were signed? 

Not necessarily saying Gabigol will turn into a top player but this notion that we should only be going for "top"/marquee players is so wildly inaccurate.

No i know, but I'm talking about Michael Hector or the other lad we signed from Germany, the LB. We were looking at good players, then went for the plan C. 

On 04/01/2020 at 13:22, Dross Stinkwater said:

Garbage player who was awful at Inter and seems to have found some success in a utter dross league?

Avoid at all costs

Gabriel Jesus wasn't 1/3 of the player he was in Brazilian League and found success in Premier League

Oscar wasn't 1/10 the player both Gabriels were and was a starter for us for years

Gabigol would be a young, interesting, cheap beat, he scored tons of goals this year, won everything, every individual award too, but Matt Law just said we are not interested

3 minutes ago, lithium said:

Gabriel Jesus wasn't 1/3 of the player he was in Brazilian League and found success in Premier League

Oscar wasn't 1/10 the player both Gabriels were and was a starter for us for years

Gabigol would be a young, interesting, cheap beat, he scored tons of goals this year, won everything, every individual award too, but Matt Law just said we are not interested

Never say never,you never know.

He turned 23 in August. I don't know how people can judge him from 9 matches for Inter Milan 3 seasons ago. Looking at it, he could be a useful signing as I didn't realise he's left footed. This means we could kill two birds with one stone by being able to play him as a right forward and a striker. 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived