Edouard Mendy to Chelsea!

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

I know we targeted him as competition for Kepa instead of a direct replacement not to hurt his value & in the hope he still comes good. 

I just wish we accepted Kepa is awful and there’s no salvaging anything with him. We should have gone hard after Donnarumma before he signs an extension (pretty sure he has 1 year left on his AC deal) so surely wouldn’t have cost as much as Kepa did and we’d be sorted for over a decade. No one is going to be fooled in to buying Kepa off us.

Fingers crosses Mendy can be a long term solution - I suppose keepers can play a lot older than outfield players and he’s had a relatively shorter professional career a bit like Drogba.

Nothing can be worse than Kepa, we need this guy in by Sunday.

32 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

I know we targeted him as competition for Kepa instead of a direct replacement not to hurt his value & in the hope he still comes good. 

I just wish we accepted Kepa is awful and there’s no salvaging anything with him. We should have gone hard after Donnarumma before he signs an extension (pretty sure he has 1 year left on his AC deal) so surely wouldn’t have cost as much as Kepa did and we’d be sorted for over a decade. No one is going to be fooled in to buying Kepa off us.

Fingers crosses Mendy can be a long term solution - I suppose keepers can play a lot older than outfield players and he’s had a relatively shorter professional career a bit like Drogba.

Nothing can be worse than Kepa, we need this guy in by Sunday.

Donnarumma would still cost a fortune, if you take into account raiola's agent fees. £40m+ fee, no doubt massive wages aswell. 

If we cant sell kepa, then that would be a huge financial commitment on goalkeepers. 

Mendy is all we can afford this season, hopefully he turns out to be a bargain and cements the spot, but if he is still not the long term answer, we will be in a better position to spend sgain next summer, or even in a couple of years time. 

Expensive mistake, we got away with the Morata one, but this is very much like Torres, where his wages are so high, and his stock is so low, it actually prohibits us replacing him properly. 

The best we can hope for, is he goes on loan at some point, and plays well enough that a team will pay £20m odd for him. No chance of any more than that.

11 hours ago, big blue said:

Donnarumma would still cost a fortune, if you take into account raiola's agent fees. £40m+ fee, no doubt massive wages aswell. 

If we cant sell kepa, then that would be a huge financial commitment on goalkeepers. 

Mendy is all we can afford this season, hopefully he turns out to be a bargain and cements the spot, but if he is still not the long term answer, we will be in a better position to spend sgain next summer, or even in a couple of years time. 

Expensive mistake, we got away with the Morata one, but this is very much like Torres, where his wages are so high, and his stock is so low, it actually prohibits us replacing him properly. 

The best we can hope for, is he goes on loan at some point, and plays well enough that a team will pay £20m odd for him. No chance of any more than that.

True but there’s rumours circulating we’re paying £28m for Mendy which seems steep in my opinion.
I actually think he’s a worse signing than Torres - at least he had moments, the goal away to Barca, winning the corner in the CL final. 
Everyone has us by the short and curlies to be fair if they’ve watched any of us for the last year or so. It’ll be interesting to see what Matt Law says the fee is when it’s done!

I’d be amazed if anyone shows an interest in him before his contest runs out in 2025 - genuinely amazed. He’s paid a fortune a week as well so even on loan most teams who would take a punt on him, can’t afford to!

43 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

True but there’s rumours circulating we’re paying £28m for Mendy which seems steep in my opinion.
I actually think he’s a worse signing than Torres - at least he had moments, the goal away to Barca, winning the corner in the CL final. 
Everyone has us by the short and curlies to be fair if they’ve watched any of us for the last year or so. It’ll be interesting to see what Matt Law says the fee is when it’s done!

I’d be amazed if anyone shows an interest in him before his contest runs out in 2025 - genuinely amazed. He’s paid a fortune a week as well so even on loan most teams who would take a punt on him, can’t afford to!

Unless Kepa literally has no ambition for his career and is happy to see through his contract like Bogarde or Bravo (at City) did they'll be a way somehow, if United under Woodward can find a new home for Alexis anything's possible.

18 minutes ago, Argo said:

Unless Kepa literally has no ambition for his career and is happy to see through his contract like Bogarde or Bravo (at City) did they'll be a way somehow, if United under Woodward can find a new home for Alexis anything's possible.

Sanchez was world class player for a long time before he went missing. Kepa really hasn't proven himself at the highest level at all.

His stock may be a little higher in Spain as his failure could be put down to not settling in a new culture but his value will go down because everybody knows we paid over the top because we had no time replace Courtois.

It's a difficult financial problem and we will take a hit at some point. Damage limitation is the name of the game and maybe we can loan him out to get some of his wage costs off the payroll. Maybe we have him at No2 or No3 until he decides to put his career ahead of the huge wages and goes to another club on less money. Would he sit in the reserves for 5 years and ruin his reputation? You may say what reputation but maybe he'll just get homesick at some point and say I'll go home on less money. Chelsea will probably have to pay some of his wages.

1 hour ago, Andy North said:

Sanchez was world class player for a long time before he went missing. Kepa really hasn't proven himself at the highest level at all.

His stock may be a little higher in Spain as his failure could be put down to not settling in a new culture but his value will go down because everybody knows we paid over the top because we had no time replace Courtois.

It's a difficult financial problem and we will take a hit at some point. Damage limitation is the name of the game and maybe we can loan him out to get some of his wage costs off the payroll. Maybe we have him at No2 or No3 until he decides to put his career ahead of the huge wages and goes to another club on less money. Would he sit in the reserves for 5 years and ruin his reputation? You may say what reputation but maybe he'll just get homesick at some point and say I'll go home on less money. Chelsea will probably have to pay some of his wages.

There must be a swap situation with athletico that we can look at 

3 hours ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Torres would probably be at a similar level to Tammy if he was here now. I'd probably prefer Torres as our 2nd rate striker to Tammy. 

Kepa is the worst signing in the history of the premier league by any club. No club has been as ripped off as we have been for any transfer. We paid £70m for Massimo Taibi. 

Honestly can’t wait for this guy. Doesn’t matter how rusty or average he is, Kepa will easily concede 4 against Liverpool. Even if this fella is a stop gap (which some people are suggesting it is?) we need him in. Kepa will cost us more points than he saves this season. Cech always helped us get 10/15 more points each year and he was knocked out and nearly bloody died on the pitch. 

2 hours ago, Imran_CFC said:

Seems like little chance we get this sorted and have him start against Liverpool

Might as well forfeit the game against Liverpool and get an additional weeks rest in

We have always competed closely every time we have played against Liverpool and I would argue outplayed them and all this with kepa and none of our new signings, I wouldn’t be so pessimistic 

32 minutes ago, SFL82 said:

We have always competed closely every time we have played against Liverpool and I would argue outplayed them and all this with kepa and none of our new signings, I wouldn’t be so pessimistic 

Obviously its tongue in cheek but against Liverpool last season we competed against them in open play but from set pieces we were absolutely dominated, out of the 7 we conceded in the league 4 were from set pieces. Liverpool's delivery from wide especially TAA and Robertson is incredible and they tend to exploit the fact that Kepa does not collect crosses and play in balls deeper towards the 6 yard box creating huge panic in our box. If players are aware that our keeper will clean up everything in and around the 6 yard box they will have to change the trajectory and line of the delivery which gives our defense a better chance and our keeper more time to save the ball if the header is from the penalty spot as oppose to near the 6 yard box.

Yes the fault also lies with the defense and the organisation of the team from set pieces but its clear to see the team just doesn't have any confidence in Kepa.

Just now, Imran_CFC said:

Obviously its tongue in cheek but against Liverpool last season we competed against them in open play but from set pieces we were absolutely dominated, out of the 7 we conceded in the league 4 were from set pieces. Liverpool's delivery from wide especially TAA and Robertson is incredible and they tend to exploit the fact that Kepa does not collect crosses and play in balls deeper towards the 6 yard box creating huge panic in our box. If players are aware that our keeper will clean up everything in and around the 6 yard box they will have to change the trajectory and line of the delivery which gives our defense a better chance and our keeper more time to save the ball if the header is from the penalty spot as oppose to near the 6 yard box.

Yes the fault also lies with the defense and the organisation of the team from set pieces but its clear to see the team just doesn't have any confidence in Kepa.

Spot on.

If we can't get Mendy soted any chance big Pete can play on Sunday

1 hour ago, SFL82 said:

And we will continue to lose because we will give them a 2 goal head start by playing Kepa 

7 hours ago, dansubrosa said:

They’re being bastards, it’s time to walk away and look elsewhere.

Where? This late in the window? 

Maybe they are already looking but any club with a half decent keeper being approached by Chelsea is going to know how desperate we are for a new keeper. The price is going up everywhere.

This is really difficult for the board. They have already made a huge error in spending £70m on Kepa and to now be spending more than they want again must just be purgatory. Marina will be doing overtime on this one but I hear rumours Mendy is back in training with Rennes. She's done very good business up to this point but this deal will be much harder than the others. Pressure is mounting with the end of the window approaching, Rennes can see Chelsea are spending big and to top it all on monday night Kepa proved he is still capable of making a mistake. That equalizer should not be going in. Kepa knows it, the defense knows it, Frank knows it and unfortunately Rennes and the rest of the footballing world know it.