20/21 League Position

coco

Final position ?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Final position ?

• 11-17
    • relegated

• 2 weeks later...

Top 4 will go down to the frayed wire, we have just handed a massive incentive to Liverpool, Spuds, West ham, FFS we were first out of the gate, with a chance to set the pace, tripped and massive Egg allover the face............

We have 24 points to play for. A max of 75 points can be achieved if we win our remaining games but that seems unlikely. On current form around 65 points seems more likely and that is unlikely to be enough. West Ham have the most favorable run in of our rivals but we still have to play them. That game is likely to be a deciding factor.

I hate to say it but with spurs out of Europe I think they’ll beat us to it. Another disappointing season all in all. Been a while since we were a top team, worried we’re the next arsenal

1 hour ago, Adamrb said:

I hate to say it but with spurs out of Europe I think they’ll beat us to it. Another disappointing season all in all. Been a while since we were a top team, worried we’re the next arsenal

Possibly although West Ham have a decent run in, and Liverpool are improving. Could be a competitive race. We overachieved last season with 4th place considering the transfer ban. We looked a better team last season and played better football. We have regressed this season and a lot of that has been down to poor recruitment

3 hours ago, Strider6003 said:

So we lose to WBA, Leicester at home lose to City and Spurs throw away the lead against Newcvastle. I still think we will get the fourth spot.

Think 8th looks a pretty decent chance now.

Looking at the table the positions 4-8 are very close. I would say Leicester have a healthy buffer in 3rd. While they could throw it away it would take a bigger collapse than last season.

Looking at our remaining fixtures we have Palace, West Ham, City, and Villa at home, with Brighton, Fulham, Leicester, and Arsenal at home. Even without the distraction of Europe it is hard to see us winning all our remaining games. Under Tuchel we have managed an average of 2 points per game. Assuming that continues we would finish on 67 points. 

Spurs and Liverpool have slightly better goal differences than us which may be vital in the end. If we manage 67 points they need 18 points from their last 24. Doable but both have been inconsistent. Liverpool have a more favorable run in, and could put a run together if they improve defensively.  West Ham still look like a bigger threat based on their remaining fixtures. Although we would give ourselves a big advantage if we beat them away. Everton have an extra game in hand but I would still make them outsiders as they have been very inconsistent.

One thing is for sure. I don't think we can afford any more slip-ups against struggling teams, especially at home. 

1 hour ago, forbzy said:

Looking at the table the positions 4-8 are very close. I would say Leicester have a healthy buffer in 3rd. While they could throw it away it would take a bigger collapse than last season.

Looking at our remaining fixtures we have Palace, West Ham, City, and Villa at home, with Brighton, Fulham, Leicester, and Arsenal at home. Even without the distraction of Europe it is hard to see us winning all our remaining games. Under Tuchel we have managed an average of 2 points per game. Assuming that continues we would finish on 67 points. 

Spurs and Liverpool have slightly better goal differences than us which may be vital in the end. If we manage 67 points they need 18 points from their last 24. Doable but both have been inconsistent. Liverpool have a more favorable run in, and could put a run together if they improve defensively.  West Ham still look like a bigger threat based on their remaining fixtures. Although we would give ourselves a big advantage if we beat them away. Everton have an extra game in hand but I would still make them outsiders as they have been very inconsistent.

One thing is for sure. I don't think we can afford any more slip-ups against struggling teams, especially at home. 

I would say we should get all of those 12 points at home, the foxes being the only good side of the 4 we face. Yet each of those 4 teams are still lightyears better than WBA so who knows.

As far as the away games go I could realistically see us only get 3 or 4 points from. Ironic 3 of the sides are claret and blue sides. Shame is not Burnley instead of city to make up the set.

Edited by axman2526

16 hours ago, axman2526 said:

I would say we should get all of those 12 points at home, the foxes being the only good side of the 4 we face. Yet each of those 4 teams are still lightyears better than WBA so who knows.

As far as the away games go I could realistically see us only get 3 or 4 points from. Ironic 3 of the sides are claret and blue sides. Shame is not Burnley instead of city to make up the set.

If you are correct that would be in line with about the average points per game from us under Tuchel and would leave us with 66/67 points. Question is whether that will be enough for 4th. Time will tell.

Ha ha ha, who envisioned we'd be battling it out with Wet Spam for fourth, especially now they are above us, boy its going to be 'Backs to the walls' over the coming games, with no slip ups, Imagine WHUFC in the Champions league, i know it stings like a bastard

8 minutes ago, Ballack & Blu said:

Ha ha ha, who envisioned we'd be battling it out with Wet Spam for fourth, especially now they are above us, boy its going to be 'Backs to the walls' over the coming games, with no slip ups, Imagine WHUFC in the Champions league, i know it stings like a bastard

Would be funny in comparission to that farce on Saturday.

2 hours ago, Ballack & Blu said:

West Ham have been playing well the last few months. I expected them to falter but they have been picking up the points consistently. If they still in top 4 at the end of April they will take sone catching

Let's be totally honest here it's unlikely we will make the top 4, 

We effectively play with a 5 man defence, 6 including GK, our 2 central midfielders contribute close to nothing as an attacking threat, so that's 8 players out of 11 not doing much, that leaves us with 3 players to score goals, which of whoever plays none are in top form or regular scorers

There are 8 games left, we'd be lucky to score 8 goals,

Reckon we'd need to win 7 or possibly all 8 to make it

Some big performances needed to secure 4th. I can’t see Spurs or Everton getting 4th. However Liverpool and West Ham are the main threats. 

Based on where we were under Frank, we’ve done well to be in with a shout. We now need a huge effort over the next 8 games to get 4th. 

2 hours ago, tmarmsi said:

Let's be totally honest here it's unlikely we will make the top 4, 

We effectively play with a 5 man defence, 6 including GK, our 2 central midfielders contribute close to nothing as an attacking threat, so that's 8 players out of 11 not doing much, that leaves us with 3 players to score goals, which of whoever plays none are in top form or regular scorers

There are 8 games left, we'd be lucky to score 8 goals,

Reckon we'd need to win 7 or possibly all 8 to make it

👏.. needs to ditch that 3 CBs at the back crap, now we need to put points on the table 

I cant see West Ham getting 4th now Rice is injured and Antonio has joined him. It hurts a team like West Ham more having there top players out. Fair play to them though if they prove me wrong.

Its between Liverpool and Chelsea for me. Livepool have the goals and no centre backs and Chelsea play with more CBs than attacking players so will be interesting to see what happens.

Just looking at fixtures, Liverpool‘s run in looks a lot easier than ours on paper. Jota giving them a lift too.

We’ve a better chance of Leicester crumbling again but they are fully fit now with no Europe to play. They also have three or four players who score regularly. I’d kill for just one striker who looked like scoring occasionally

Edited by Adamrb

7 games to go including spuds Leicester and city also brighton Fulham, arsenal and villa to finish with  

we might be able to afford to drop point to Citeh but I am guessing that’s about all  

liverpool are only 2 points behind  

if we can beat Leicester it still possible Liverpool and Chelsea could make the top 4  

still too many permutations to think about it too much but Liverpool have an easy run in  we don’t  

Just now, ozboy said:

7 games to go including spuds Leicester and city also brighton Fulham, arsenal and villa to finish with  

we might be able to afford to drop point to Citeh but I am guessing that’s about all  

liverpool are only 2 points behind  

if we can beat Leicester it still possible Liverpool and Chelsea could make the top 4  

still too many permutations to think about it too much but Liverpool have an easy run in  we don’t  

All must win games really. But we have West Ham to play not Spurs and that is a big 6 pointer.

Before the last 4 games we simply must win Brighton, West Ham and Fulham. 

Last 4 games:

Man City (A) - If Man City is certain that they secured the title they might rotate and focus on the CL so we might have a chance, specially if they win against us in the FA Cup as they will be aiming to win it all.

Arsenal (H) - This is simply a must win and it would be absolutely terrible if we don't win this one at home but considering that the previous game against them was one of our worst games this season it's a given that this might be a coin toss.

Leicester (H) - 4 days earlier they would have played Man United which is a harder game in comparison to Arsenal so we must take our chances at home.

Villa (A) - It would be scary if it all came down to this last match considering that they have been able to upset a few big teams this season and all things considered we simply must show up, hopefully our key players won't be burned out.

The Leicester game will be very interesting, were a different beast to the last time we played them, you can almost say for sure the winner of that game will get top 4 and the loser will struggle.

• coco unpinned this topic