Chelsea breakaway from breakaway European Super League

Guest Sindre
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Would you pay to watch Chelsea in a European Super League ?  

153 members have voted

1. 1. Would you pay to watch Chelsea in a European Super League ?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure yet

I’ve had a long hard think about this and I can’t help but feel fans are overreacting. All this “it’s a slap in the face” or “I’ll support someone else” makes no sense to me and here’s why.

We already have too many fixtures, we were denied additional subs and to top it of UEFA want to increase the number of fixtures in the champions league. In a bid to make more money, let’s not forget.

Chelsea and the big European teams said screw that’s let’s make our own competition worth more money with less fixtures. At no point have they indicated they wish to leave their respective leagues or domestic tournaments. Simply turn down entry to Champions League and enter a new tournament. Not too dissimilar to when United turned down the FA Cup entry in favour of entry to the World Club Cup. 

As would be expected, UEFA and FIFA are angry that they stand to lose money on the Champions League and are threatening all kinds, which seems empty, because in my opinion they’ll die without those 12 clubs in their ranks.

In my opinion Chelsea are doing what is right for the club here. Protecting players with less matches and making more money to attract the top talent. Obviously, I’m against anything that sees us kicked from the league and prevents our players representing their countries. But I have no doubt, the enemy here is UEFA and FIFA, not Chelsea.

Just my thoughts anyway. KTBFFH.

17 minutes ago, forbzy said:

It will destroy the sport from the inside out. The clubs left will be in a lesser competition and will struggle to get the sponsorship and tv deals to survive. The elite league will get tv money and sponsorship initially, but people will lose interest and I think it will go the same way as the American soccer league of the late 70's/early 80's

And as a response to that ticket prices will go through the roof and like boxing you have to be a celebrity to afford the tickets

All the top teams want this because they know they hold the value, not the organisers or the smaller teams that make up the numbers.

It makes sense to benefit the clubs that provide the value but as a fan growing up watching it in it's current format, it's going to wreck my value system and I might care less about winning the European Super League than a Premier League title.

It will make the Champions League less special when you're playing the same top clubs every year as well. Basically a massive f**k you to the fans who made the game what it is today and making a new product for the new generations to come.

1 minute ago, Frawdulant said:

I’ve had a long hard think about this and I can’t help but feel fans are overreacting. All this “it’s a slap in the face” or “I’ll support someone else” makes no sense to me and here’s why.

We already have too many fixtures, we were denied additional subs and to top it of UEFA want to increase the number of fixtures in the champions league. In a bid to make more money, let’s not forget.

Chelsea and the big European teams said screw that’s let’s make our own competition worth more money with less fixtures. At no point have they indicated they wish to leave their respective leagues or domestic tournaments. Simply turn down entry to Champions League and enter a new tournament. Not too dissimilar to when United turned down the FA Cup entry in favour of entry to the World Club Cup. 

As would be expected, UEFA and FIFA are angry that they stand to lose money on the Champions League and are threatening all kinds, which seems empty, because in my opinion they’ll die without those 12 clubs in their ranks.

In my opinion Chelsea are doing what is right for the club here. Protecting players with less matches and making more money to attract the top talent. Obviously, I’m against anything that sees us kicked from the league and prevents our players representing their countries. But I have no doubt, the enemy here is UEFA and FIFA, not Chelsea.

I don't like the idea of a Super League but I would be willing to consider something if it was based on merit. Any league without promotion/relegation is going the way of the big American sports and is garbage.

13 minutes ago, forbzy said:

The proposed new league is nothing to do with UEFA or FIFA. So most likely anybody involved (clubs or players) will be shunned by these organizations. Likely will mean players involved can no longer represent their national teams.

If these clubs are banned from their domestic leagues and UEFA competitions and exiled, they would be making a completely different football association which in theory might mean that UEFA/FIFA registered players could potentially be banned from transferring to these clubs.  Meaning the only way you could possible buy someone like Haaland would be to wait for his contract to end.  If these 'Super' League clubs are forced to only transfer players between themselves it would get boring pretty quickly.

2 minutes ago, Frawdulant said:

We dont like change at we will kick and scream like a child being forced to eat broccoli, you got to let is have it mate. There is no room for reason on this thread 🤣

4 minutes ago, Frawdulant said:

Fully agree

1 minute ago, DarkMata said:

If these clubs are banned from their domestic leagues and UEFA competitions and exiled, they would be making a completely different football association which in theory might mean that UEFA/FIFA registered players could potentially be banned from transferring to these clubs.  Meaning the only way you could possible buy someone like Haaland would be to wait for his contract to end.  If these 'Super' League clubs are forced to only transfer players between themselves it would get boring pretty quickly.

You can't ban people working for a club or company they want to work for. 

2 minutes ago, forbzy said:

I don't like the idea of a Super League but I would be willing to consider something if it was based on merit. Any league without promotion/relegation is going the way of the big American sports and is garbage.

Agreed to an extent. You need to remember that there are 4 slots that will be afforded based on league positions to other clubs. The original 12 will be mainstays though, which I agree takes away something because we seen how all of these teams have lost their teeth at some point. Arsenal I’m looking at you! Haha

1 minute ago, Deino said:

They're only fighting against it because it would wreck next year's plans to include more teams in the CL.

They're still c*nts tbf

Absolutely. They are a big part of the problem for sure. I remember 20+ years ago the big clubs threatening something similar. Back then we weren't one of them but as far as I was concerned it would have been good riddance and don't come back.

1 minute ago, Frawdulant said:

Agreed to an extent. You need to remember that there are 4 slots that will be afforded based on league positions to other clubs. The original 12 will be mainstays though, which I agree takes away something because we seen how all of these teams have lost their teeth at some point. Arsenal I’m looking at you! Haha

But those 4 slots once filled will be permanent I assume. There is no real way to manage promotion/relegation to a European Super League without risking too many clubs from one country. I agree about Arsenal. Laughable that they are in there on current form. 

5 minutes ago, Frawdulant said:

Personally I need to see more details and think about this for awhile before I make my mind up but you make some very good points.

UEFA and FIFA are deeply flawed organisations IMO and anything that reduces their influence and power I am generally in favour of. But as I say, I want more information and time to consider it.

4 minutes ago, nonotnowjim said:

You can't ban people working for a club or company they want to work for. 

I agree it won't stop transfers. However if FIFA gets involved players may have to accept that they can no longer play for their country if they move to a club in this league.

1 minute ago, forbzy said:

But those 4 slots once filled will be permanent I assume. There is no real way to manage promotion/relegation to a European Super League without risking too many clubs from one country. I agree about Arsenal. Laughable that they are in there on current form. 

From what I’ve read those four will be chosen annually, not permanent. But no one will know for sure until the details are released tonight. 

I hate it, just the idea of it pisses me off. What is so wrong with the game that we need to make such drastic changes? The thing is, they aren't concerned with what is and isn't good for the sport, all they are interested in is the money. FIFA, UEFA and the Premier League can do one as well, they are no better, they have proven time and time again that they will put money before everything in this sport. UEFA have already made the European Championships ridiculous by allowing so many teams to enter and now they want to ruin the Champions League as well. Then there is FIFA with their corruption and allowing Qatar to host the next world cup, and the Premier League constantly making things hard for fans up and down the country when it comes to fixture times.

We know what the fans think of this, there aren't many at all that are in favour of these changes, but their voice is never heard. I would like to hear what the players think, it's their careers that are being played around with as well, surely they can't be happy about this.

people are comparing this to the NFL but I can't see that model working in British/European football - interest in the NFL is sustained by the College game being the only route for new players and a draft pick from those colleges to give the weaker sides preference in signing talent for a new season. that helps to keep the NFL competitive. 

The individuals pushing for a super league are nothing but a bunch of greedy c**ts who are out of touch with the average football fan.

I’ll always love Chelsea till the day I die, but it’s hugely disappointing we’re associated with this.