Romelu Lukaku back to Chelsea - and gone again!

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

4 hours ago, Argo said:

He doesn't have to justify his fee per se but if we buy someone for a specific thing as we have done with Rom then the pressure is on to deliver.

Like with last year when we signed Thiago Silva, we didn't sign him as a project we signed him as an immediate fix to an area of weakness, had we carried on conceded for fun with him on the pitch then he would have been scrutinised.

I would say Lukaku was mainly signed as an experienced striker that could weigh in with a decent number of goals. I think he would be expected to score comfortably more than 20 goals this season to be considered a success. So far he has 3 in the league from 5 games and 1 from 2 in the Champs League. Not too bad a return when you consider who we have already faced in the league. Yes he didn't score against City or Juve but he managed a goal against Arsenal, and was denied a goal against Spurs by a decent save if I remember correctly. So far he has delivered more goals than either Werner or Havertz would have managed.

Be very surprised if he doesn't this weekend, this is the kind of game we bought him for, finish off those chances. Despite being disappointed with his last 2 games ( same could be said for all other players), I'm confident he will find his scoring ways and score the 20+ goals we hoped for

Reading this thread really make me feel really2 sad. It turn out a lot of people think one of the biggest reason why we won cl not because of Kante's 3 straight motm performance in semi and final, it was Havertz and Werner pressing game. 

So when Kante was sick in city and Juventus game, it wasn't his massive impact to our game that we missed, it was Werner and Havertz pressing. 

Edited by Bob stark

Werners pressing, speed and assist making is a huge plus to this team. He clearly struggles with the basics (finishing and control), but he is always a threat that scares defenders.

We miss that with Lukaku - and yes, Lukaku is more likely to get his head on a cross and is better than holding the ball up - but we lose so much by not playing Timo.

3 hours ago, Bob stark said:

Reading this thread really make me feel really2 sad. It turn out a lot of people think one of the biggest reason why we won cl not because of Kante's 3 straight motm performance in semi and final, it was Havertz and Werner pressing game. 

So when Kante was sick in city and Juventus game, it wasn't his massive impact to our game that we missed, it was Werner and Havertz pressing. 

Why can't it be both? Naunce can exist.

If we largely did okay in these games but lost due to a fit Kanteless sized hole in transition then fair enough, but we were totally passive out of possession. In previous games they had to work to even get to Kante's area of the pitch.

For all the talk from some people on here saying his presence in the team is affecting us score goals, we won another game with 3 goals without him even scoring. This agenda that he's affecting other areas of the pitch needs to be put to bed. The team is quite capable of scoring from other areas of the pitch regardless of if he starts.

He is being marked so tightly after a great start to his Chelsea career.  The team is winning and all is good.  Should have buried the chance but was gracious enough to aim at the post so we were treated to an entertaining third goal.

Timo, or soon to be Pulisic, and Mount, must love playing off him.  He'll get his chances and goals, I have no concerns.

Guest Sindre

He needs someone around him with creativity. He gets isolated these days because none of his fellow attackers can pick a pass with any kind of consistency. I mean today Rudiger was the only player that was able to put him through on goal (although a fraction offside) and that shouldn't be the case.

Mount is the best player around him but he's not a top passer at this point. And not the most creative one either.

5 hours ago, Sindre said:

He needs someone around him with creativity. He gets isolated these days because none of his fellow attackers can pick a pass with any kind of consistency. I mean today Rudiger was the only player that was able to put him through on goal (although a fraction offside) and that shouldn't be the case.

Mount is the best player around him but he's not a top passer at this point. And not the most creative one either.

Should by Kai or Ziyech as they both have better final passes and vision than Mount imo but both have been shockingly poor.

10 hours ago, axman2526 said:

Should by Kai or Ziyech as they both have better final passes and vision than Mount imo but both have been shockingly poor.

I don't think Ziyech and Lukaku will ever work, you just end up with no pressure on the oposition team until they reach our midfield. That is why I prefer Werner and Mount next to Lukaku, to make it difficult for the oposition to establish any kind of momentum in their play. I'm sure Werner and Mount will be abel to find Lukaku more frequently with some games togheter as well.

Missed a sitter Werner style yesterday, that's what could happen after couple of really frustrating games. I don't think the Conte comment helped at all, again it's not in Conte's interest to help us. It took Conte time to get Lukaku going too, and they failed to quality from the CL group stage with him in the team, so 😒 The break comes  at a good time for him, he will find his scoring touch against some poor countries. Hope that Martinze guy doesn't play him 3 games in a week, he probably will just to f* with us

3 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

That was a great goal. Hopefully he can start doing that for us soon. Scoring goals out of nothing is what the best strikers do.

He is playing with much better providers with the national team though, both Hazards and KDB offer more for him to feed on than we have been able to so far.

1 minute ago, axman2526 said:

He is playing with much better providers with the national team though, both Hazards and KDB offer more for him to feed on than we have been able to so far.

Very simple straight forward pass from KDB, simillar to the passes Mount and others were feeding him against Arsenal. Problem is Ziyech with his complicated "hollywood" passes have been playing and Havertz have been in poor form. We just need to play Werner and Mount next to him, they will create space with their movement and Mount can hit those passes all day.

1 minute ago, comtrend said:

Very simple straight forward pass from KDB, simillar to the passes Mount and others were feeding him against Arsenal. Problem is Ziyech with his complicated "hollywood" passes have been playing and Havertz have been in poor form. We just need to play Werner and Mount next to him, they will create space with their movement and Mount can hit those passes all day.

Hopefully you are right, Mount can, Werner not sure on his final pass tbh.