Friendly Tomorrow

terraloon

I don’t know too much about it but there is a behind closed door friendly tomorrow v Weymouth FC 

From what little I do know is that the Chelsea team will be mainly players who didn’t feature today 

6 minutes ago, mourad91 said:

A friendly when the premier league has already started? Why?

To give game time to players who haven't played during close season due to arriving back late after the Euros/Copa America. Arranged apparently by Carlo.

32 minutes ago, charierre said:

To give game time to players who haven't played during close season due to arriving back late after the Euros/Copa America. Arranged apparently by Carlo.

Yep that what’s being reported in the local Weymouth paper

KO is 11.am 

8 minutes ago, terraloon said:

Yep that what’s being reported in the local Weymouth paper

KO is 11.am 

Proper local Sunday league game then with an 11.00 morning kick-off. Game of football and finish in time for the players to get down The Dog & Ferret for a few bevvies. Wonder if there will be a tray of team sandwiches passed round by the landlord?

Our pre season was almost non existent. 

The likes of Mount, Chilwell, James, Christensen, Jorginho, Silva have had barely any time at training let alone matches to build fitness. 

Feels like the season has started too soon and there's going to be a lot of clubs just trying to make it through to the international break and then hoping to get going proper in September. 

4 hours ago, mourad91 said:

A friendly when the premier league has already started? Why?

It's crazy that we need to make friendlies when the season has already started because players need more time to prepare for a new season. If this doesn't prove that there is too much football being played right now, then I don't know what will. I look at players like Mount, he has been playing competitive football pretty much non stop since the 2019/20 season restarted back in June last year. The thing I worry about is that we run a serious risk of running these players into the ground before they reach their peak years.

The European Championship final didn't take place until July 11th, which is just ridiculous. It gives clubs almost no time to prepare for a new season. These tournaments used to finish at the end of June, not mid way through July.

All of these extended tournaments are making it impossible for players to properly recover and stay fresh throughout a full season. With the Champions League and World Cup being extended, just how are they going to fit this all in and give players enough time to recover? If they can't do it now, how will they do it a year from now?

If I had things my way, I would scrap the extended Champions League and World Cup, completely remove the Nations League and go back to 16 teams in the European Championships. I remember when people were talking about having too much football back in the mid 2000's, so why have things got so much worse since then?

Edited by Scott Harris

39 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

It's crazy that we need to make friendlies when the season has already started because players need more time to prepare for a new season. If this doesn't prove that there is too much football being played right now, then I don't know what will. I look at players like Mount, he has been playing competitive football pretty much non stop since the 2019/20 season restarted back in June last year. The thing I worry about is that we run a serious risk of running these players into the ground before they reach their peak years.

The European Championship final didn't take place until July 11th, which is just ridiculous. It gives clubs almost no time to prepare for a new season. These tournaments used to finish at the end of June, not mid way through July.

All of these extended tournaments are making it impossible for players to properly recover and stay fresh throughout a full season. With the Champions League and World Cup being extended, just how are they going to fit this all in and give players enough time to recover? If they can't do it now, how will they do it a year from now?

If I had things my way, I would scrap the extended Champions League and World Cup, completely remove the Nations League and go back to 16 teams in the European Championships. I remember when people were talking about having too much football back in the mid 2000's, so why have things got so much worse since then?

Good points. It’s seemingly non stop football , without a defined close season.

1 hour ago, Richard P said:

Chelsea: Kepa, Zappacosta, Thiago Silva, Zouma, James, Chilwell, Emerson, Ampadu, Barkley, Hudson-Odoi, Batshuayi.

played the whole 90 minutes with no subs.

Interesting the players that didn’t minutes still on the books.

Interesting line up ... two right backs, two left backs, three centre backs ... not really a surprise they didn't score LOL.

Barkley, CHO and Batsman to carry the offensive threat 🙂 

Would love to know who got all the goals !

image.png.6fd1fb2fe97728b559cf0cef45792b40.png

There's a write up on the club website now ... https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2021/08/15/gallery--blues-hit-double-figures-in-cobham-friendly?cardIndex=0-0 

5 goals for Batshuayi, 3 for Barkley, 2 for CHO, 1 each for Silva and James, and 1 goal isn't mentioned, but it does say there were 5 goal scorers, so one of those already mentioned (not Batshuayi, as it says he got 5 in the match) has that last goal.

1 hour ago, DidierDrogbalala said:

13-0 🤪 They are not even a pro side kinda feel bad for them, must be pretty cool to play again Silva and Co though.

Yep it’s not everyday a non-league side gets to play against a team full of international players that have won lots of the big trophies in the game. Story for the grandkids as the saying goes!

6 hours ago, Sexyfootball said:

Interesting line up ... two right backs, two left backs, three centre backs ... not really a surprise they didn't score LOL.

Barkley, CHO and Batsman to carry the offensive threat 🙂 

Would love to know who got all the goals !

image.png.6fd1fb2fe97728b559cf0cef45792b40.png

Ah, very similar setup to the first team.  To me, this suggests the problem isn't us picking 8 defensive minded players, but the opposite failing to cooperate.

There’s actually some quite interesting links between Weymouth FC and Chelsea

For instance Andy Townsend started in non league . Weymouth sold him to Saints . Townsend eventually played some 100+ games for Chelsea

Then you have Graham Roberts again Weymouth sold him to Spurs . Roberts eventually played  70 games for Chelsea

Anyone know the name Nick Crittenden . Academy player of the year ended up playing 60+ games for Weymouth

Another name many won’t remember is a keeper called Bob Iles. Sold by Weymouth to Chelsea and went on to play a dozen or so games 

Lastly John Hollins managed Chelsea but he also managed Weymouth

On 16/08/2021 at 13:28, terraloon said:

There’s actually some quite interesting links between Weymouth FC and Chelsea

For instance Andy Townsend started in non league . Weymouth sold him to Saints . Townsend eventually played some 100+ games for Chelsea

Then you have Graham Roberts again Weymouth sold him to Spurs . Roberts eventually played  70 games for Chelsea

Anyone know the name Nick Crittenden . Academy player of the year ended up playing 60+ games for Weymouth

Another name many won’t remember is a keeper called Bob Iles. Sold by Weymouth to Chelsea and went on to play a dozen or so games 

Lastly John Hollins managed Chelsea but he also managed Weymouth

You forgot that I once went on holiday to Weymouth but I’ll let you off this time. 

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Munkworth said:

You forgot that I once went on holiday to Weymouth but I’ll let you off this time. 

Didn’t forget just didn’t want to give away any of your secrets !

Hey I was born there along with Alan Carr although he was born in Portwey Hospital which was the towns old Victorian workhouse .

His father Graham played for and managed Weymouth before he went on to be chief scout at Newcastle.

I could bore you all day with links between WFC and other clubs as well . For instance Geoff Astle  played for Weymouth. Boy could he head the ball.

Or last one Matt Hale, who ? , played for and managed Weymouth 

https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2021-01-09/matt-hale-southampton-fc-academy-january-2021

Enough now

Edited by terraloon