Chelsea V Arsenal (PL) Sat 18th Aug 17:30 UK

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Just now, Scott Harris said:

I don't think the players are the problem, it's the tactics. The fullbacks are being instructed to play the way they are playing by Sarri. If the fullbacks are going to play this way all season, then we will concede a lot of goals, no matter who we play in those positions.

It's the runs underneath that are the problem. Fullback goes wide and an Arsenal player is getting through the space between fullback and centre half. Then why no one is tracking the deep runner I'm not sure.

Best and worst of this football in a half. 

I've said it from the start that the team needs time and patience. You can't just adapt to a system in 4 weeks. Yes, the defending hasn't been good but it's to be expected with the switch to four at the back. Also, high fitness levels with this style of play are crucial and we have a mix of players who haven't played WC and players returning from WC who need to get up to fitness still. Sarri needs to find what works, what doesn't, who is the weakness, who isn't. He can't analyse this in one or two games. He needs these mistakes to rectify them. This is where we need patience as fans because it will take time, and Sarri himself said this. It has come as no big surprise. 

Edited by enigma

Hmm. Back 3 to a back 2 featuring Luiz. Probably never going to end well.

Pretty chaotic stuff. Only conclusion I can draw right now is that City won't lose a wink of sleep worrying about us or Arsenal. In fact they probably won't even need to check our results.

Can we get it together enough and in time to be in with a chance of a top four finish?

Oh, and despite him scoring, Morata is bloody useless. I'd rather have a want away Costa than this milksop.

I'm going to stick my neck out and risk a stoning for treason but as fantastic as Jorginho is with the ball at his feet he hasn't the slightest concept of defending and is just too slow to be able to get to his position. It's great Kante having a new lease of life but we have a team of great attacking players. Please let Kante mark the D and mark the penalty spot. Please. It's schoolboy stuff.

Not really sure what to say about that defensive perfomance.

We stopped pressing as a team after 20 mins. 

Lack of pace from the full backs to press and then get back in, is leaving gaping holes in the channels. 

Luiz is Luiz. Great when we have the ball, but lacks the concentration to play consistently well in a back 4. 

Kepa probably should've saved the 1st goal. 

Positives are that 1st 15 mins, when we played the type of football sarri will want for 90 mins. 

Could go either way this one.

Just now, TheChelsRVA said:

Shocking defending. Alonso is a liability out there everyone knew that would be the case. Playing him on the same side as luiz is suicide. And then add to the fact Barkley is the midfielder on that side and you’ve got a real problem. 

People will use the assist to try and paint a picture that Alonso isn't a liabilty though. 

Sarri is trying to change our system completely. Not just attack, not just midfield or not just defending. It is the whole package. Pep failed with that first season in charge and this is the most probable outcome of this season as well for us. I don't expect anything at this point. 

Some of you fail to understand this is a team game. Morata makes a mistake in offense and it might affect us in our defense. 

I am very positive because Sarri said our team can be great. That gives me confidence.