Our New Stadium

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

From the Chelsea Supporters Trust website:

http://chelseasupporterstrust.com/1184-trust-statement-stadium-redevelopment/

The Chelsea Supporters’ Trust representative was pleased to attend the recent Fans Forum meeting which focussed on the proposed redevelopment of Stamford Bridge.

Questions regarding plans for the much heralded redevelopment of Stamford Bridge were put to members of the Club’s Board and the design team responsible for the redevelopment of the new stadium.

The Chelsea Supporters’ Trust are delighted that the plans for the new stadium seem to be progressing well and that there were satisfactory responses to many of the concerns and issues that supporters have raised.

However, the recent issues with the transition of West Ham United from the Boleyn Ground to the London Stadium serve as a timely reminder about potential problems when moving stadium and increasing capacity.

It appears that many of the issues West Ham are facing might have been resolved had dialogue been held with supporters before the move. It should be noted that West Ham are one of the only Premier League clubs who do not have a Supporters’ Trust.

We firmly believe that consulting with Chelsea supporters and their representatives prior to the re-development of Stamford Bridge (and temporary move whilst this happens) will result in potential problems being avoided.

For this reason and acting on our mandate,  the Chelsea Supporters’ Trust will continue to press the Club to introduce ‘Safe Standing’ areas within the new stadium so that those who wish to stand whilst attending Chelsea matches at Stamford Bridge are able to do so.

The ‘rail seating’ system advocated by the ‘Safe Standing campaign’has, this season, been introduced by Celtic Football Club at their Parkhead ground and has proved, beyond any doubt, that it is indeed a safe way of enabling supporters to stand whilst enjoying top-flight professional football matches. It is something that is undeniably beneficial to the atmosphere at games and we are disappointed that the Club’s safety team currently believe that it is not safe when the evidence would suggest otherwise.

The Chelsea Supporters’ Trust will look to host the ‘Safe Standing’ roadshow again this season in the hope that as many supporters as possible can be informed as to the benefits and viability of safe standing.

In addition, we will continue to press for like-minded supporters to be located together, as far as is practicable, to both enhance the atmosphere and to avoid the problems relating to re-location that West Ham fans have faced which has led to confrontations between their own supporters.

Chelsea Supporters’ Trust will also continue to campaign for equitable and affordable pricing to be introduced at the rebuilt Stamford Bridge which will ensure that different categories of supporters such as children, young adults up to the age of 25-years of age and those of a pensionable age are able to attend matches without being excluded by prohibitively expensive ticket prices.

The above statement can be downloaded as a PDF here.

The full minutes of the Fans’ Forum meeting of 12 September 2016 can be downloaded as a PDF here or can be found on the club’s web site.

4 hours ago, BelgradeCFC said:

Chelsea will consider a safe standing area at a rebuilt Stamford Bridge – but only if the government change the laws.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3832073/Chelsea-consider-safe-standing-area-redevelop-Stamford-Bridge.html

So we're not planning on ignoring current stadium regulations when we build the new stadium.

In other news...

Seriously, though, this would be brilliant.

But only if the government change the laws, obviously. Wouldn't want our safe standing area to be illegal.

Edited by Backbiter

It would be great to have an area for standing at the re-built Bridge. When the club did presentations last year about the proposed re-development a number of people asked if there were plans to have a standing area and the answer was no. But things can change in a year.

Here is an article from the Football Supporters Federation about Safe Standing.

http://www.fsf.org.uk/campaigns/safe-standing/

2 hours ago, Backbiter said:

So we're not planning on ignoring current stadium regulations when we build the new stadium.

In other news...

Seriously, though, this would be brilliant.

But only if the government change the laws, obviously. Wouldn't want our safe standing area to be illegal.

I don't really get how standing can be illegal in the top two English divisions, but okay in the lower divisions and in Scotland. Are those fans somehow more trustworthy or less in need of protection?

On 11/10/2016 at 14:15, BelgradeCFC said:

Chelsea will consider a safe standing area at a rebuilt Stamford Bridge – but only if the government change the laws.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3832073/Chelsea-consider-safe-standing-area-redevelop-Stamford-Bridge.html

That's the first time I've ever heard anything about the club saying they'd be interested if it was legal. That's promising.

• 2 weeks later...

@kiwi1691 Thanks for posting the pictures. Some great designs. My favourite is Carefree since 1905.

I had a look on the London of Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham Council (LBHF) Website yesterday and nothing recent on there about approval for the redevelopment. I know that the Council asked the club a number of questions about the application a few months ago. Not sure if the club has responded yet. I guess they have.

The AGM of the CPO is due to be held at the end of January next year so it will be interesting to see and hear what happens at that. I plan to go along. in the latest minutes of the meeting of the CPO board it mentioned that the CPO has contacted the club about what its role and stake in the new ground will be. The club had not responded by the time the CPO board had met.

2 minutes ago, Carshalton Blue said:

Prefer the 1st design but with STAMFORD BRIDGE since 1905 rather than Chelsea & Carefree since 1905 that sounds & looks naff imo

Love our proper & original badge on the gates as well.

Agreed mate, interesting to see the proposals.

The blue gates in the last pic look a bit out of place for a football stadium imo. They look very plain and have no designation of the club or anything.

20 hours ago, MissouriBlue said:

So is there any recent developments on the consideration of the plan by the council? I can't remember when they said we can roughly expect a decision on the plan.

The team charged with pursuing the planning application responded to the council's requests for more information by submitting amendments to the application in July.   It's now thought that a decision from the council will be made early next year.  Even if it's a positive result, then there would still be a short period where objections could be made and a referral to the London Mayor's office.   Fingers crossed that we'll see things happening next summer.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2016 at 13:15, BelgradeCFC said:

I see the safe-standing topic is high on the agenda for latest meeting of premier league clubs.

Really hope this gets the green light - it will do so much to improve the atmosphere at all grounds.

Wherever we go while the reconstruction is happening, we must avoid Wembley at all cost's. More money maybe, but with the tv deals and new sponsorship we have enough. Every team will see a chance to play at Wembley as a massive massive game, also we have seen with Arsenal and now Spurs in the CL it also feels more like a neutral game for the "home" team too.

I'd rather somewhere like Stadium MK or the Madejski Stadium for a couple of years if i'm honest.

Edited by Argo

17 minutes ago, Argo said:

Wherever we go while the reconstruction is happening, we must avoid Wembley at all cost's. More money maybe, but with the tv deals and new sponsorship we have enough. Every team will see a chance to play at Wembley as a massive massive game, also we have seen with Arsenal and now Spurs in the CL it also feels more like a neutral game for the "home" team too.

I'd rather somewhere like Stadium MK or the Madejski Stadium for a couple of years if i'm honest.

Kinda agree with the Wembley thought, but what else is there? Twickenham would be ok but thats not going to happen. your other options would suit some but not others, the Madejski is as close to me as Stamford Bridge. I'm now just a member no longer a season ticket holder and struggle to get tickets for SB, so for a smaller capacity stadium it will be impossible. I've been going to the Bridge for nearly 50 years now and to be honest I'm  not over confident this is all going to happen anytime soon, hopefully I'm wrong.