The John Obi Mikel Goal Scoring Thread

Davey Baby
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

I don't see Mikel hanging around much longer. He is getting pretty much no game time now.

Kroos would be an excellent signing but i am still unsure if he really wants to leave Bayern.

kroos would be excellent, as would pogba, but I also think witsel, or gundogan would be quality signings especially if the latter recovers from injury.

Anyone else thinking that Mikel might be leaving at the end of the season.

He's playing time has dropped to almost zero since the signing of Matic.

If he was to leave it would allow us to potentially bring in a better suited partner to Matic... I hear that lead Kroos is pretty good *ahem*

God I hope so.

If we can keep him and he's willing to stay I'm all for it. He's a big game player and being only 26 he's one of the most experienced player for such a young man in top level football. Look at Arsenal for example. They have Arteta as makeshift DM and Flamini as their expert for that position and Kallstrom in the sidelines. We have Ramires and Matic and on top of that Mikel with Luiz/Frank as our makeshifts.

Interesting to note this season that Mikel has played more Premier League games than Willian, Eto'o and Luiz. He's featured in more games in all competitions than Torres, Eto'o and Luiz too and the same amount of times as Schürrle. Granted, some appearances are to help kill the game off but they are appearances nonetheless and apart from Torres, none of those players have had lengthy injuries.

It's also interesting to note that he's scored the same amount of goals in all competitions as Willian too and as many Premier League goals as Ramires,

Just thought I'd share that.

Edited by BellettiBullet

Interesting to note this season that Mikel has played more Premier League games than Willian, Eto'o and Luiz. He's featured in more games in all competitions than Torres, Eto'o and Luiz too and the same amount of times as Schürrle. Granted, some appearances are to help kill the game off but they are appearances nonetheless and apart from Torres, none of those players have had lengthy injuries.

It's also interesting to note that he's scored the same amount of goals in all competitions as Willian too and as many Premier League goals as Ramires,

Just thought I'd share that.

To be honest I think some of those stats are more damning of the other players as apposed to praise for Mikel. 

Only one league goal from Ramires? Poor for a player who likes to burst forward.

Only two goals from Willian? Not good enough for an attacking midfielder bought in for £30m. 

Luiz has obviously lost out to Cahill in partnering Terry but he might yet become Matic's midfield partner, he's looking much better in that role this season than previously and the fact as a defender he is being picked there to play ahead of Mikel tells its own story. 

• 4 weeks later...

God bless that man, brilliant performance tonight. Thrown in after months without being a consistent starter against top quality opposition and he got it done. He seems to thrive on these back-to-the-wall 'squeaky bum' situations, when Cech and then Terry went off he stepped up - we are lucky to have him.

In my mind Mikel has always performed well in big/important games. I know others slag him off, but I quite like him.

He has been involved in the majority of our trophy wins and has played a big part in them all. Yet he gets an incredible amount of stick on here.

Unfortunately I think this will be his final season with us.  He's seeing less playing time (although we may start him at Liverpool) and other clubs such as Inter are reportedly interested in him.

I like him as a player.  

It's horribly sad, isn't it? :(

Don't worry though, I can already picture the look of horror and despair on Manuel Neuer's face when Mikel's match-winning screamer sails past him - he will leave on the same terms as Didier!

It's horribly sad, isn't it? :(

Don't worry though, I can already picture the look of horror and despair on Manuel Neuer's face when Mikel's match-winning screamer sails past him - he will leave on the same terms as Didier!

LOL!!!

I think you and I were always advocating the "Mikel Screamer" in chat...why not in a CL final?!

LOL!!!

I think you and I were always advocating the "Mikel Screamer" in chat...why not in a CL final?!

Its in the stars. Drogba scores the winner in his final game, Mikel does the same.

Mikel is so good at backs to the wall type games, he is shocking at controlling the game and passing forward but whenever we are underdogs, especially in Europe, he shines. I do like him for that but going forward he's never going to be a starter and I'm not sure he'll be overly happy about minimum game time