Robin Williams

loz
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Last year I saw him live, and he is one of the most manic people I've ever seen.  He even joked about it, as most comedians are known too, and made light of his relationships with his parents being bad ones.

Such a shame, and if nothing else I hope some good comes out of this in highlighting mental illnesses 

Last year I saw him live, and he is one of the most manic people I've ever seen.  He even joked about it, as most comedians are known too, and made light of his relationships with his parents being bad ones.

Such a shame, and if nothing else I hope some good comes out of this in highlighting mental illnesses 

As much as I would like this to be the case mad_mac, it will never happen. It's far easier to shove it under the carpet and pretend it doesn't exist. I know from personal experience.

Depression isn't taken seriously because so many people claim to have it when they haven't got it, it seems to be a fashionable illness these days.

But enough of that, R.I.P, I still have a lot of his childhood films, I'll never forget.

Depression isn't taken seriously because so many people claim to have it when they haven't got it, it seems to be a fashionable illness these days.

That's a very crass thing to say, and just about sums up the attitude of many folk to what is a genuine illness.

Fashionable illness ffs ?

Edited by WeatherMan

Only those who haven't suffered from depression or haven't seen someone close suffer from it, think lightly of depression. It's a debilitating disease.

I never was much of a fan of Robin Williams, but he had his funny moments. Poor guy.

Absolutely shattered to hear the news that Robin Williams has passed away.

I always thought he was one of the most gifted comedians you'll ever see and some of his films have always been fondly remembered by me personally. Some that come to mind include Dead Poets Society, Mrs Doubtfire, Jumanji, One Hour Photo and Good Morning Vietnam.

His death really demonstrates that depression is a silent killer and is indiscriminate to anyone. There needs to be more understanding of the disease before we can address the issue of helping those with depression and potentially wanting to go as far to end their life like Robin has done. 

I woke up and heard the news this morning in Australia and I've felt flat all day. It's just weird to know that someone you've never met but are very familiar with through television is no longer here anymore.

RIP Robin Williams 

Edited by Jezz

Didn't see this thread.

Gutted, I love Aladdin & Mrs Doubtfire, can't believe it, Jumanji was one of my favourite childhood films too. Only 63 too, apparently he has battled with depression for years and always felt like he had to be ‘on’ in public which in itself must be draining.

Rest in peace.

Devastated. It's always strange to mourn someone you never met but he was my childhood. Aladdin, Mrs Doubtfire, Hook, Jumanji....such good memories! His role as the genie in Aladdin had me in tears of laughter. 

A I grew older I began to appreciate his later films, Good Will Hunting being one of my all time favourites. 

RIP