Thibaut Courtois

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Wasn't Jack Butland Begovic's understudy? Hypothetically see him coming here unless we sold Begovic. Irony was Butland was almost sold by Butland a few seasons ago & only got a chance because Begovic came to us.

We'd sell Begovic in that scenario. He's been linked to Everton. Maybe even sell him back to Stoke :laugh2: That's not so outlandish actually, and I've seen some Stoke fans discussing that. In fact that's probably the only way we could get Butland. I don't think the fans would tolerate losing both their goalkeepers to us.

I've heard talk of Hart leaving when Guardiola arrives. No clue how much substance there is. What would you think about that? A step down from Courtois for sure, but if we can get what we're asking for Thibaut and Hart is available, don't see why not although in that case maybe just stick with Begovic. I'm not convinced Hart is a big upgrade.

I reckon you could buy literally almost any keeper in the world with 73m bar Neuer

You could buy Neuer with that. Bayern doesn't need Neuer with the quality of the rest of the guys on the field. Personally I've always felt Neuer is overrated. Would love to see him prove me wrong.

Wasn't Jack Butland Begovic's understudy? .

He was but half the reason Stoke were willing to sell Begovic was because they wanted to give Butland a chance and he's had a very good season at Stoke.

We were in for Butland a couple of years back but he didn't want to be an understudy.

What does he actually say?

He was asked whether the training is higher at Chelsea versus the Belgian national team. He said the national team because with the national team you get the best Belgians at each position. Every player is strong. With Chelsea you have slightly weaker players in addition to strong players. Also the national team doesn't train with the youth national teams so that's another reason the training is higher with the national team.

So a bit untactful and rude toward clubmates but not as bad as The Guardian implies. He sounds like he's been trying, maybe too hard, to ingratiate himself with the national team. He's had conflicts there in the past and might be trying to mend those. And like I said in an earlier post, Dutch culture is way less diplomatic and tactful than we're used to; Guus is an outlier. That may spill over to the Dutch part of Belgium.

He was but half the reason Stoke were willing to sell Begovic was because they wanted to give Butland a chance and he's had a very good season at Stoke.

We were in for Butland a couple of years back but he didn't want to be an understudy.

Didn't Butland sign a new contract recently? If Stoke make CL/Europa League, why would he want to join us this summer? 

"Thibaut Courtois refuses to state long-term commitment to Chelsea"

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/mar/26/thibaut-courtois-chelsea-belgium

I'd prefer Courtois to stay, but (Cech in his prime, aside) £70 odd mill is crazy money if we can sign ter Stegen.

Edited by the special one

That's quite a callous way to talk about your club side when they've gone out of their way to support him and even jettisoned a club legend to accommodate him.

Really not impressed with his attitude. He's lucky his understudy in the national team is a donkey like Mignolet.

Edited by Luca Vialli

Didn't Butland sign a new contract recently? If Stoke make CL/Europa League, why would he want to join us?

"Thibaut Courtois refuses to state long-term commitment to Chelsea"

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/mar/26/thibaut-courtois-chelsea-belgium

I'd prefer Courtois to stay, but £70 odd mill is crazy money if we can sign ter Stegen (Cech in his prime, aside).

Yes Butland signed a 4 or 5 year contract recently. I think Stoke would be willing to sell him for the right price. You can see that Hughes is looking to the future and trying to assemble a young field squad with a pedigree that reflects his personal career. Those players don't come cheap. Unlike us, Stoke actually encourage managers to think about the long term and support those efforts rather than empty talk about it.

That's quite a callous way to talk about your club side when they've gone out of their way to support him and even jettisoned a club legend to accommodate him.

Really not impressed with his attitude.

Especially when this season he has been one of those slightly weaker players!

While some of the posts on this thread are too critical of him, I think fans have a sound reason to hold him to higher standards and expectations. We demoted a club legend and one of the greatest PL goalkeepers of his era due to his demands. When you make those demands (no doubt his representatives repeatedly trotted the "looking to the future" line during the negotiations), you better back that up. In hindsight perhaps the reason he refused to compete with Cech for the starting position was a premonition that he would lose, and what the club and we as fans attributed solely to arrogance was actually something deeper.

I don't think his heart is with us especially now that he has a kid whose mother is Spanish. If Real Madrid calls it would be foolish for him to refuse when you factor in the personal angle.

He was asked whether the training is higher at Chelsea versus the Belgian national team. He said the national team because with the national team you get the best Belgians at each position. Every player is strong. With Chelsea you have slightly weaker players in addition to strong players. Also the national team doesn't train with the youth national teams so that's another reason the training is higher with the national team.

So a bit untactful and rude toward clubmates but not as bad as The Guardian implies. He sounds like he's been trying, maybe too hard, to ingratiate himself with the national team. He's had conflicts there in the past and might be trying to mend those. And like I said in an earlier post, Dutch culture is way less diplomatic and tactful than we're used to; Guus is an outlier. That may spill over to the Dutch part of Belgium.

It sound like, as usual, we shouldn't taken what's written in the press at face value. Unfortunately some people never learn.

I am afraid he will the first of many so called "super stars" that will want out at the end of the season.

No trophies this season no champions league next season, personal glory and a teampting wage packet elsewhere will see an exodus.

Cant see Tibo,Costa,hazard,Oscar or even cesc staying.

We will see.

In my opinion Big Pete was a better keeper.

Bring him back and let tibo go.

Let Hazard go and bring back Mata.

Keep Jt for another year too

Just a small sidenote to add onto this, he's referencing why injuries are more likely to happen for Belguim than at Chelsea. The world class players  bit is just pandering to his home fans, his real point is that players are always pushing their selves really hard in training because there is a lot of competition for spots. This isn't the case at Chelsea, which is a fair point. 

Just a small sidenote to add onto this, he's referencing why injuries are more likely to happen for Belguim than at Chelsea. The world class players bit is just pandering to his home fans, his real point is that players are always pushing their selves really hard in training because there is a lot of competition for spots. This isn't the case at Chelsea, which is a fair point.

How ironic for him of all players to say that!

Edited by offside

Cant see Tibo,Costa,hazard,Oscar or even cesc staying.

Of all those players Costa is the one we should try hardest to keep in my opinion. His heart, at least for the time being, is clearly here. If the reports of Roman offering Guus a backstage advisory role are true, I think Guus can convince him to stay. Costa seems to really appreciate Guus as both a manager and a person, and he has been eager to make Guus proud of him in an almost childlike way.

De gea has probably the worst defence in the EPL and most times he is usually saving there blushes with top class saves yet he never moan about the Spanish team being better in any way than United.

If Courtois is as outstanding as Willian, Azpilicueta and some of our players this season I will have sleepless night if he wants to move away. But with his performance this season, his lack of commitment and his ego which prevented him from wanting a competition with Cech or even learning from one of the best Keeper ever, I think we won't miss him if he leaves. The way am seeing it, if convince him to stay and he eventually improve his game yet we fail to win any top competition he won't turn down a move to PSG or Madrid where he can earn more money. That's when we will realize how difficult it can be to replace a top player like Cech.

Of all those players Costa is the one we should try hardest to keep in my opinion. His heart, at least for the time being, is clearly here. If the reports of Roman offering Guus a backstage advisory role are true, I think Guus can convince him to stay. Costa seems to really appreciate Guus as both a manager and a person, and he has been eager to make Guus proud of him in an almost childlike way.

Costa will go if we sign a top class striker, Oscar and Hazard too. Cesc will stay as he's 50/50 to be Captain next season.

I hope Guus gets an advisory role. Even if it's just as an ambassador rather then a DoF. Could the club create a role for him? Non executive agony Uncle? Lol

Rumours circling that Real madrid are trying to buy him, would cost them 73million. What are your guys' opinions on this? If we can find a good enough replacement, I'd be tempted to sell simply for the amount of money. But then again we have one of the top 5 best keepers in the world and hes only 23.

Take the money and run!

If a player talks bad about the club he represents, then can't play and represent the emblem of our club on his shirt, that's my opinion. If a player can't deal with one bad season and decides to talk wrong about the club, then his place is not here.

I read some quotes about his words and I was disappointed to read that he prefers to play for Belguim more than for Chelsea, and he prefers Belguim's defence. Maybe these quotes are wrong and fake, but if they're right, I'd prefer to give him some time on the bench to wake up and let him that this club has won the title last season and one bad season changes nothing because it's football and everything can happen, and he should remember that he plays in one of the best football clubs in the world. 

He made a lot of mistakes this season, so he's not perfect as well.