Chelsea V Barcelona (CL) Tues 20th Feb 19:45 UK

Really really intrigued to see who Conte plays. Been given a little boost of confidence having seen this though...

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11668/11255777/chelsea-boss-antonio-conte-thinks-barcelona-are-beatable-on-tuesday

Willian really making a case to play in this game however Pedro coming off at half time against Hull suggests he'll be playing. 

.........................Giroud......................

.......Hazard........................Willian.......

Alonso.......................................Moses

......Drinkwater...............Kante............

Rudiger........Christensen......Azpilicueta

...................Courtois.........................

With Willian playing mostly in midfield and working his ass off on both ends.

Guys, just remembered that Coutinho is not eligible to play in the Champions. So now these are the two feasible options in terms of Barca's starting XI:

Ter stegen;

Roberto,    Pique,     Umtiti,     Alba;

Busquets;
                     Rakitic,     Iniesta;
                           Paulinho;

Messi,      Suarez;

OR:

Ter stegen;

Roberto,    Pique,     Umtiti,     Alba;

Busquets;
         Rakitic/ Paulinho,     Iniesta;

Messi,       Suarez,      Dembele;

It is worth noting that in the 2nd option, often, Messi operates as the striker, Dembele as the right winger, Suarez as the left.

1 hour ago, abramovich said:

.........................Giroud......................

.......Hazard........................Willian.......

Alonso.......................................Moses

......Drinkwater...............Kante............

Rudiger........Christensen......Azpilicueta

...................Courtois.........................

With Willian playing mostly in midfield and working his ass off on both ends.

It's actually depressing looking at that knowing it's possibly our best team, I don't think that's who will start, but still...We used to be able to field a first 11 with, JT, Carvalho, A Cole, makelele, Lamps, Essien, Drogba...my goodness what a downgrade in character and ability. 

We all know what conte will pick if we are honest his standard 11 but I'd go shut out and grit,we need experience and fighters,  you need that against Barca and if it was we I'd play:

Tibo

Rudiger      Christensen    Cahill

Kante    Luiz

Azpi                                       Alonso

Pedro                  Hazard

Giroud

I'd start Giroud although Morata has great CL experience and a good record, he can't hold up the ball as well as Giroud who is a tank, that will let Pedro and Hazard cause havoc on the counter, that's why I start pedro just over willian although Willian can help out in defence more and is on form so that's a close one to call.

Luiz has proven to be steel in the Mid, he has experience and is a warrior this position even worked recently against Tottenham, I would have put Emerson for the added speed but went with Alonso purely because a free kick in the right area is a very good chance of a goal he is deadly, I think Cahill is just not good enough for us anymore as a starter but his experience and leadership is what's needed here,  him and Luiz keep us up to the challenge Moral wise, again Azpi not the best at wingback but you would imagine he will spend most of his time at full back against barca so 1 more good experienced defender is teh way I would go. 

My problem with 2 slow wingbacks is breaking but I think Haz and Pedro can pick up teh ball deep play off Girud and start the counter that way, we have speed in Emerson and Zapa but we lose the set piece which could be the difference and we lose a CB when sitting back if we play Zapa.

If we play them they will rip us apart, Chelsea do best sitting back and breaking, we can beat any team in teh world when we have a good day and play that style, no shame in it, it's served us well. 

30 minutes ago, ScrubsLaneCFC said:

It's actually depressing looking at that knowing it's possibly our best team, I don't think that's who will start, but still...We used to be able to field a first 11 with, JT, Carvalho, A Cole, makelele, Lamps, Essien, Drogba...my goodness what a downgrade in character and ability. 

I think we need to get over these comparisons, we have a squad with strengths and weaknesses that imo on a perfect day is well capable of exploiting Barca's weaknesses, so there's no reason for being depressed. The squad of 2012 was full of character, but it also was very old and the starting eleven contained basically one fast player in Ramires and one creative player in Mata, which over the last three games for a long time made it look impossible to create any danger for the opposition's goal and yet their immense will and character made it happen.

Today Chelsea look different and Barca look different, and even though some of these players aren't proven world class internationals with great CL experience I believe that players like Azpi, Christensen, Rüdiger, Cahill, Kante or Luiz are capable of rising to the occasion and throw their bodies into every shot, and I believe that players like Willian, Pedro, Hazard, Giroud, Morata or Cesc can cause Barca's defence some problems! If this game doesn't provide the right motivation for every single player than no one will, the last two games were the ideal psychological preparation, the team is rested and will be prepared by one of the best coaches in the world.

KTBFFH

21 minutes ago, ScrubsLaneCFC said:

We all know what conte will pick if we are honest his standard 11 but I'd go shut out and grit,we need experience and fighters,  you need that against Barca and if it was we I'd play:

Tibo

Rudiger      Christensen    Cahill

Kante    Luiz

Azpi                                       Alonso

Pedro                  Hazard

Giroud

I'd start Giroud although Morata has great CL experience and a good record, he can't hold up the ball as well as Giroud who is a tank, that will let Pedro and Hazard cause havoc on the counter, that's why I start pedro just over willian although Willian can help out in defence more and is on form so that's a close one to call.

Luiz has proven to be steel in the Mid, he has experience and is a warrior this position even worked recently against Tottenham, I would have put Emerson for the added speed but went with Alonso purely because a free kick in the right area is a very good chance of a goal he is deadly, I think Cahill is just not good enough for us anymore as a starter but his experience and leadership is what's needed here,  him and Luiz keep us up to the challenge Moral wise, again Azpi not the best at wingback but you would imagine he will spend most of his time at full back against barca so 1 more good experienced defender is teh way I would go. 

My problem with 2 slow wingbacks is breaking but I think Haz and Pedro can pick up teh ball deep play off Girud and start the counter that way, we have speed in Emerson and Zapa but we lose the set piece which could be the difference and we lose a CB when sitting back if we play Zapa.

If we play them they will rip us apart, Chelsea do best sitting back and breaking, we can beat any team in teh world when we have a good day and play that style, no shame in it, it's served us well. 

Totally agree with you, and I also like the look of that line-up, which looks strong at sitting back but should also be explosive enough for counter attacks, especially as both Kante and Luiz are both strong at initiating attacks.

Only concern is that Azpi on RWB has never really seemed to work brillintly so far (even though one could argue it would rather be the role of a far out right back helping to park the bus) and that I don't really remember the back 3 ever playing together like this. The one thing I had really hoped for over the last month and that I very much deplore not happening is the establishment of a clear, familiar, standard back 3 as we had it last season in Cahill-Luiz-Azpi. I guess right now the closest thing to this is Rüdiger-Christensen-Azpi, but one cannot really claim that they have reached blind understanding, besides I for once would appreciate Cahill's character and experience on the pitch. So, if the players can work it out, your line-up would have some very appealing aspects

did anyone expected anything else!?

"Cuneyt Cakir will referee the Champions League round-of-16 first leg tie between Chelsea and Barcelona on Tuesday.

Cakir, 41, officiated when Chelsea held Barca to a 2-2 draw in a Champions League semifinal second leg at Camp Nou in 2012 and progressed to the final.

The Turkish official sent off John Terry in the 37th minute of that game for a foul on Alexis Sanchez but Chelsea fought back from two goals down to draw and reach the final 3-2 on aggregate

Cakir was also in charge when Barcelona won the 2015 final against Juventus in Berlin."

Courtois

Azpilicueta   Christensen   Rudiger

Ampadu     Kante

Zappa                                       Alonso

Willian                Hazard

Giroud

Haven't been that impressed with Drinkwater, Ampadu is inexperienced, but better defensively, can also pick a pass, won't play though, so it doesn't matter. You have to start Willian and Giroud over Pedro and Morata on current form. I think Fabregas and Moses will start, possibly Cahill, wouldn't start them myself, I think Zappa offers more than Moses curently, West Brom goal aside.

1 hour ago, Floyd25 said:

Courtois

Azpilicueta   Christensen   Rudiger

Ampadu     Kante

Zappa                                       Alonso

Willian                Hazard

Giroud

Haven't been that impressed with Drinkwater, Ampadu is inexperienced, but better defensively, can also pick a pass, won't play though, so it doesn't matter. You have to start Willian and Giroud over Pedro and Morata on current form. I think Fabregas and Moses will start, possibly Cahill, wouldn't start them myself, I think Zappa offers more than Moses curently, West Brom goal aside.

6 hours ago, Luiz4Chelsea said:

I think we need to get over these comparisons, we have a squad with strengths and weaknesses that imo on a perfect day is well capable of exploiting Barca's weaknesses, so there's no reason for being depressed. The squad of 2012 was full of character, but it also was very old and the starting eleven contained basically one fast player in Ramires and one creative player in Mata, which over the last three games for a long time made it look impossible to create any danger for the opposition's goal and yet their immense will and character made it happen.

Today Chelsea look different and Barca look different, and even though some of these players aren't proven world class internationals with great CL experience I believe that players like Azpi, Christensen, Rüdiger, Cahill, Kante or Luiz are capable of rising to the occasion and throw their bodies into every shot, and I believe that players like Willian, Pedro, Hazard, Giroud, Morata or Cesc can cause Barca's defence some problems! If this game doesn't provide the right motivation for every single player than no one will, the last two games were the ideal psychological preparation, the team is rested and will be prepared by one of the best coaches in the world.

KTBFFH

Agreed except Cahill. KTBFFH!

3 hours ago, enigma said:

Great analysis. I guess the whole world knows our weakness is the left centre back spot. I was always thought Cahil was trash but didnt know Rudiger was as bad positionally. If Bournemouth could have exploited that i am scared of what Barca will do. Hazard will be crucial for us and hopeully he turns up. If he has a stormer we will win comfortably

D-1 ... This game will determine much more than simply going through the QF. Our future, for the next 3 to 4 seasons may very well depend on this Ro16 result. Deadly Counters and compact defense should be the way. Helped us in the past, helped us recently and will help us tommorrow. Wing support will be decisive to win this one.

Whole world dream of a RM Barça final ... Just like 6 years ago! We'll play against 12 tommorrow once again. And we'll play against 12 the return leg too! A whole country will root for them hoping we get whooped... But hopefully we will prevail !

Prevail just like when in 2012 an almost invincible Barcelona was left in shreds by a subpar midfielder named Ramires. Torn to shred by the shadow of Torres. But also by Drogba, Lamps, Terry, Cech, Brana, Cole etc ... And we still have talent in today's team! You don't win the league with 30 wins and 93 points with a team of knobheads in terms of football quality!! Players should remember that we're champions (till May at least ) ! With the likes of Hazard, Kanté, Morata, Christensen etc we must believe in our chances!

We may get deflated, spanked, torn, defeated, beaten after tommorrow. And the only hope that would be left, would be hoping for better days next season ... But what if! What if  Chelsea Football Club remind the world that we became the first team ever to defeat the tiki taka barça (Bayern faced a lumping barça in 2013 they did not beat anything comparable to what we did !) that put 5 past RM... that we're a team who beat germans on pens in their homeground in a UCL final ... a team that finished 10th, in absolute shambles, to bounce back and claim back our PL the following season !! How many of the so called top 6 did that? how many of the so called finest in England have a positive record against Barça of such magnitude, except us?

We're not the darlings of football and NEVER will be. We'll never be liked for the way we play. We'll never be liked at all ... but we could not care less !! We don't give a sh*t of being praised for beautiful football and get spanked double figures whenever we face big teams in UCL! Because we built our domination, history, pride and reputation on kicking the so called darlings of football right up the ass so many times that we've become their worst nightmares whenever they hear they drew us in the UCL.

Call me deluded, unreasonable, dumb ... But I want to believe in these guys who gave us a great PL last season and redeemed themselves of the absoulte sh*tfest of 2016! Transfers were a let down, no doubt about it and this should be fixed ! But we also have players! Good players, very good and could prove great and amazing if they come tommorrow and rub their f**king balls on barça's forehead !!

We beat them when they had Ronaldinho, coming off as complete underdogs and still won it!! we beat them afterwards of course, again as complete underdogs and never lost since 2006 against them! If the players, Gaffer, staff and all the supporters could remember that tommorrow, then, maybe, the "what if" would become "we've done it" and "we've done it before" for all the future encounters as we like to sing it!!

Finally,as Eden Hazard said it : " We are Chelsea! We can do everything !"

Hi there,

Barca fan and owner of Barca forum and I come in peace (again) :biggrin: 

12 times we've met already in this century and I watched all those clashes. Some sweet memories like Iniesta winner at Stamford Bridge and some not so great like 2012 exit and, ultimately, pep's last CL match as Barca coach.

I am confident about our chances eventhough there are plenty Barca fans who consider this as first "real test". As if being unbeaten in the league accounts for nothing.

Will we see our boys Pedro and Cesc tomorrow and how will Conte line up? 3-4-3?

Anyways, came here for some friendly banter and to give you heads up if some of you would like to do the same with our bunch over at our forum http://www.barcaforum.com/showthread.php/14764-CL-1-8-Finals-Chelsea-FC-Barcelona