Man City fans - poor show

The Swan

Man City have yet to sell out their allocation for the League Cup final despite being on sale for over a week and yet we sold out ours in just under a day. Not many teams who would sell out as quickly as we did and they call us plastics!

Easier for London based fans to make the arduous journey to Wembley than those based in Manchester. 

Ticket prices are way too expensive, throw on top travel costs and the late kick off time on a Sunday. 

City don't have the largest fan base and expecting 35k of them to shell out £200 upwards each to see the game is a big ask for any fan base. 

13 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Easier for London based fans to make the arduous journey to Wembley than those based in Manchester. 

Ticket prices are way too expensive, throw on top travel costs and the late kick off time on a Sunday. 

City don't have the largest fan base and expecting 35k of them to shell out £200 upwards each to see the game is a big ask for any fan base. 

Whereas if we were playing Man Utd we'd all be from the same area :biggrin:

44 minutes ago, Valerie said:

So what :indifferent0018:

Yes, would be nice to be in the CL. I am obviously showing my age by displaying enthusiasm for this final. I am not blasé about any of our achievements and being part of the ‘I was there when we were sh** brigade’ still pinch myself when things go well.

Perhaps the yawn you provide suggests why the atmosphere at Stamford Bridge is as flat as it is with away fans regularly singing is this a library. Have we become like Arsenal when our support is synonymous with sanitised and sterile passion? I really hope not. But alas it appears we are heading this way.

Even when we score the response is often muted and it’s like success has desensitised us to the fundamentals of the game and like success junkies some of our fans only get excited if we are in the CL final.

I for one feel that selling out in just over a day shows there is still passion within the fan base and we are not a bunch of arm chair junkies.

2 minutes ago, enigma said:

I'm always suprised we manage to sell out at Wembley, yet on match days at the bridge the fan count is generally less than 42k and there's empty seats. 

Perhaps that's STH's not taking up seat or members as well and these not getting into general circulation. It's like rocking horse sh!t lately getting an home ticket on general sale.

2 hours ago, ForeverCarefree said:

I noticed City's ground was quieter over and just after Xmas. A lot of fans have to make choice where to spend their money. My Mrs is City season ticket holder and cannot afford to pay extra for the various cup games. I suppose there are many CFC fans in the same boat but it is a smaller stadium - or maybe just more loyal supporters :-)

2 hours ago, The Swan said:

Yes, would be nice to be in the CL. I am obviously showing my age by displaying enthusiasm for this final. I am not blasé about any of our achievements and being part of the ‘I was there when we were sh** brigade’ still pinch myself when things go well.

Perhaps the yawn you provide suggests why the atmosphere at Stamford Bridge is as flat as it is with away fans regularly singing is this a library. Have we become like Arsenal when our support is synonymous with sanitised and sterile passion? I really hope not. But alas it appears we are heading this way.

Even when we score the response is often muted and it’s like success has desensitised us to the fundamentals of the game and like success junkies some of our fans only get excited if we are in the CL final.

I for one feel that selling out in just over a day shows there is still passion within the fan base and we are not a bunch of arm chair junkies.

Take it easy, I was responding to your opinion on City fans, as per the name of your thread. I don't care one bit about them and their tickets.

22 minutes ago, Valerie said:

Take it easy, I was responding to your opinion on City fans, as per the name of your thread. I don't care one bit about them and their tickets.

Not having a pop mate and yes you are perhaps right about not caring.

4 hours ago, The Swan said:

Man City have yet to sell out their allocation for the League Cup final despite being on sale for over a week and yet we sold out ours in just under a day. Not many teams who would sell out as quickly as we did and they call us plastics!

I'm surprised we sold out that quick and not surprised city still haven't, in my opinion they have never really travelled in huge numbers, can remember some very poor shows at the bridge in the past from them. I suppose if we turn it round and were playing final at old Trafford would we have sold out? Probably but would of been harder. It might end like the full members cup final, where we swamped their support, sadly our support won't be as noisy and passionate but that is a sign of the times sadly. I can't wait for the final bring it on.

2 hours ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Seeing as the maximum attendance is 40,853 that's not really a surprise. 

Always thought it used to be 42k for some reason. Yes, you're right, 41k. I suppose it's generally a decent attendance then. The worse the count has been that I've seen I think was 38k. 

4 hours ago, The Swan said:

Very little passion these days I’m afraid. 

I remember when the fans used to get the team going, now it takes the team to get the fans going. 

It will take a relegation to get a decent atmosphere back. 

55 minutes ago, enigma said:

Always thought it used to be 42k for some reason. Yes, you're right, 41k. I suppose it's generally a decent attendance then. The worse the count has been that I've seen I think was 38k. 

It’s been reduce to make room to accommodate more disabled supporters which is definitely a good thing. 

They didn’t sell out for the community shield either, why they were given the bigger allocation I don’t know. sh*t club, sh*t fans. 

7 minutes ago, Ewell CFC said:

Very little passion these days I’m afraid. 

I remember when the fans used to get the team going, now it takes the team to get the fans going. 

It will take a relegation to get a decent atmosphere back. 

We used to be known as having some of the most passionate fans in the country now we get people referring to SB as the Kensington Oval. Does success on the field eventually lead to sanitised support?

Following Chelsea since the late 60's, Home and away through the 70's 80's one of the best followings out there, especially when we were relegated. Now it's all changed, sanitised, corporate, tourist, expensive and all about money. Thats the way it is and it aint going back. Gave up my season ticket years ago, still a member and go occasionally but it's too dull. Just like the pubs around the ground, used to be intimidating and a great atmosphere, now mostly all poncey. But hey ho that's the new world.

6 hours ago, The Swan said:

We used to be known as having some of the most passionate fans in the country now we get people referring to SB as the Kensington Oval. Does success on the field eventually lead to sanitised support?

errr yeah mate , dunno where you've been, but its been happening for the last 20 years...

Just now, blueboy26 said:

errr yeah mate , dunno where you've been, but its been happening for the last 20 years...

The club has, to a large extent gone. You still get great away days (arsenal in the carling cup I think 2013 springs to mind) but by and large hope games are a lost cause

13 hours ago, Kev56 said:

Following Chelsea since the late 60's, Home and away through the 70's 80's one of the best followings out there, especially when we were relegated. Now it's all changed, sanitised, corporate, tourist, expensive and all about money. Thats the way it is and it aint going back. Gave up my season ticket years ago, still a member and go occasionally but it's too dull. Just like the pubs around the ground, used to be intimidating and a great atmosphere, now mostly all poncey. But hey ho that's the new world.

Still can’t get my head around how our things have deteriated. Away fans give it the “ Your Support is Utter sh*t” and that doesn’t even get much a response. 

“ Sing when your winning” used to be sung derisory at the opposition, now it’s us all over.

The argument used to be that sure you can watch the game on telly but you don’t get the atmosphere. Well now there is no atmosphere. I’m lucky enough to now live very close to the ground. More often than not I’ll pop up there for a drink and a mooch about with mates and watch the game on a dodgy beam back in me local.

Suits me fine.

48 minutes ago, Ewell CFC said:

Still can’t get my head around how our things have deteriated.

Ticket prices and a change in the type of fan now attracted. Chelsea isn’t just a football club anymore, it’s a brand  

The atmosphere at the Tottenham game the other week was the best for a while mind, my throat took a while to recover :laugh2:

Really can't blame City supporters. Supporters can't help but get a bit blase once you have had a fair bit of success and to travel down from Manchester to Wembley on a Sunday and be faced with travel problems etc, when you can watch it on TV or down the pub and be in bed at a reasonable time for work on Monday - it's no wonder they're struggling to sell allocation.

As for the atmosphere it is poor on the whole and has been for years and that's not going to change with all the money in the game meaning many of those attending matches now are not the sort of people who want to have a good old knees up and sing. That was what I loved about Conte in his first season - the utter passion he showed on the touchline - could not help but get the supporters going a bit.  

Archived