Sign in to follow this  
PloKoon13

Reece James

So from everything I've heard Reece James is pulling up trees at Wigan. I sincerely hope he takes Zappacosta's place in the squad next season - he could be the next coming of Super Dan (although Reece himself might be too young to remember him)!

Recent interview:

On a personal note, I’ve been pleased with my form, and I’m determined to keep it going til the end of the season. It’s obviously nice to hear and read nice things being said about you, it’s certainly not a bad thing!

You just have to take it step by step and not get too advanced with yourself and acknowledge it. All I can do is keep doing what I’m doing and keep my head down and focus on playing as well as I can.

I’ve played quite a bit of midfield over the last few weeks, and that’s been another challenge for me, very different. As long as I’m playing, I’m enjoying myself to be honest. I haven’t played too much midfield in the past.

I’m still picking up bits and bobs as I’m going along, learning the role.

I would say long-term full-back is my position. I’ve actually only been playing there since I was 14, 15. And at the beginning, I didn’t really enjoy it...I hated it, hated it! But then it got to a point where I came to love it, and here’s where I am.

Before that, I played across the frontline...right wing, left wing, centre-forward. But I’m settled now at full-back, and that’s where I see my career going.

I’ve said it before, but I’m very much enjoying my time here at Wigan. I’m playing week in, week out, learning a lot of things and meeting a lot of new people. This is exactly why I came here on loan from Chelsea and it’s been great so far.

To be honest, there’s not much difference between the two football clubs, Chelsea and Wigan. At the end of the day you’re doing the same stuff, albeit on a different scale. But the main things, the people, they’re pretty much the same, there’s no major difference

I’m in touch with people back at Chelsea on a regular basis. They like to check up on me, which is nice, and it keeps me in touch with what’s happening back there. All the games they get to see, they give me feedback on what I’m doing good and what I’m doing bad.

I don’t have a clue what’s going to happen beyond this season. I’ll just take it as it comes, see what happens. Football’s all about opinions, and it depends on what the manager there is looking for. If he likes me and he thinks I have a chance, then why not?

If not, it might be another loan and take it from there.

As a Chelsea fan, obviously the dream is to make it there full-time.

My heroes as a kid were John Terry, Frank Lampard, Didier Drogba.

To have Frank Lampard helping out with the coaching there last season was a dream come true for me. He was passing on his knowledge and experience, and it inspires you to want to give it your all to be as good as you can be.

On 16/03/2019 at 06:02, PloKoon13 said:

So from everything I've heard Reece James is pulling up trees at Wigan. I sincerely hope he takes Zappacosta's place in the squad next season - he could be the next coming of Super Dan (although Reece himself might be too young to remember him)!

Recent interview:

I haven't seen him play much at all, but those who have absolutely rave about him.  If he's the real deal, we definitely would have a use for him - especially since Dave seems to be slowing down.  From what I've heard, James could fill in at CM as well.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wigantoday.net/sport/football/latics/could-reece-james-be-the-finest-player-ever-to-turn-out-for-wigan-athletic-1-9677742/amp

Rave reviews feo the local papers in Wigan, even putting forward the argument he is the best player to play for club. Quite remarkable for an 18/19 year old right back, on loan, and having only been there 9 months. 

He has also made team of the year, which is very impressive considering where Wigan are in the table.

Really hope he gets a chance next season, ban or no ban.

Imagine how much more dangerous we would be if we had a full back that actually delivered consistent dangerous crosses. It would also give the rest of the attack more space, as they would be forced to try and stop the crosses from coming in. 

Seems like a real no brainer to bring him back next season, he's also excellent from set pieces, he's build like bull, deceptively quick, and has excellent technique.

Posted (edited)

he seems on another level from the others when you watch him play , i was really impressed the couple of times i saw him.

next season we could possibly have a line-up with 5 academy players in a cup game with James, Hudson-Odoi, ,Abraham ,Loftus-Cheek ,Christensen

Edited by DidierDrogbalala

Admittedly the source isn't the most reliable, and I'm not entirely sure where this information has come from, but this is excellent news if true:

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/chelsea/chelsea-consider-giving-reece-james-firstteam-spot-after-impressive-wigan-loan-a4106846.html

This seems like the easiest decision we have to make about the squad for next season. Zappacosta is clearly not a European-standard defender, is not trusted by our manager, and Reece has played pretty much as well as could realistically be expected. We could get £44k/week (allegedly) off the wage bill, probably get a few million in transfer fees, and show a clear and sensible route into the first team for our youth players. 

"Chelsea consider" means nothing though, it's up to the manager to actually have the balls to play these youngsters, which Sarri has shown so far he doesn't have, with CHO getting very few minutes and Ampadu basically dissapearing.

6 hours ago, Zeta said:

"Chelsea consider" means nothing though, it's up to the manager to actually have the balls to play these youngsters, which Sarri has shown so far he doesn't have, with CHO getting very few minutes and Ampadu basically dissapearing.

That for me is a bigger disgrace than how he’s treated CHO (although I understand he’s injured right now). 

Re Reece James; couldn’t do any worse than Zappacosta/Moses and apparently he’s played at CB & in midfield whilst at Wigan too. 

I'm as excited about Reece James as I am CHO. And that's a lot! He has to be in the first team squad next season and starting a lot of matches. We have a great opportunity to get our world class British core back with CHO, RLC and Reece James.

Quote from an article last week... 

“It’s a great feeling to play week in, week out in a good league and to play on the international stage as well,” James said. “My ambition is to play for Chelsea, and every day I work hard to get there. “I was a fan as a kid...my heroes growing up were (Frank) Lampard, (John) Terry and (Didier) Drogba. “Sooner or later, hopefully I get chance.”

I've seen similar quotes from Loftus-Cheek before. They love the club and really want to make it at Chelsea. For whatever reason I don't feel that Hudson-Odoi feels the same. Hopefully he will in time with more first team minutes.

Yeah he's been playing at centre mid for the past couple of months. I think Paul Cook has said something along the lines of 'he's so bloody good you could basically play him anywhere.'

"It's a lot different to playing right back, but I played there when I was younger, so I do understand the role, but I don't mind it and I'll do a job there.

"Positions change, but football has the same principles, being good on the ball, working hard and winning.

"It's a little bit tougher playing in the Championship than in youth team or under 23 football in terms of physicality, but I wouldn't say it's anything I can't deal with."

On 02/04/2019 at 02:57, DidierDrogbalala said:

he seems on another level from the others when you watch him play , i was really impressed the couple of times i saw him.

next season we could possibly have a line-up with 5 academy players in a cup game with James, Hudson-Odoi, ,Abraham ,Loftus-Cheek ,Christensen

And Mount!

Kepa

James Christensen Rudiger Emerson

RLC Jorginho Mount

CHO Abraham Hazard

Of course Hazard is wishful thinking!

13 hours ago, dansubrosa said:

And Mount!

Kepa

James Christensen Rudiger Emerson

RLC Jorginho Mount

CHO Abraham Hazard

Of course Hazard is wishful thinking!

Don’t forget Jay Dasilva at left back! :good2:

8 hours ago, Munkworth said:

Don’t forget Jay Dasilva at left back! :good2:

Pretty certain Jay is getting sold in the summer. He's too short for Sarri anyway

Another goal for Reece - a dodgy penalty calmly slotted away against league leaders Norwich.

At the beginning of the second half he almost got a second from outside the box but went just over the crossbar.

Caught the last 25 mins of game, commentators waxing lyrical over him, surely we will get him in first team squad next season, potentially exciting times for club with these youngsters but there is always a big BUT with our club and the youngsters