Jump to content

Who's the best of our young guns?


Andy North

Recommended Posts

We have so many good young players performing at a good level at the moment that we are spoilt for choice. Often teams will have the problem of having too many "kids" and there was even a manger who once said "you'll win nothing with kids." We, however, are bucking that trend and seem to be building a new team based on "kids". Will they go on to win anything? Its too early to say but because there are so many of them I was thinking there must be a really good chance that one or two or even more could go on to be top world class players.

Who do you think will go on to be top class and why?

Link to comment
Share on other sites


4 minutes ago, Andy North said:

We have so many good young players performing at a good level at the moment that we are spoilt for choice. Often teams will have the problem of having too many "kids" and there was even a manger who once said "you'll win nothing with kids." We, however, are bucking that trend and seem to be building a new team based on "kids". Will they go on to win anything? Its too early to say but because there are so many of them I was thinking there must be a really good chance that one or two or even more could go on to be top world class players.

Who do you think will go on to be top class and why?

Alan Hanson said you'll win nothing with kids. About the united team that then won it all. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I reckon James, because of the lack of competition for his place at the moment. 

Mount, Abraham, Odoi can all be replaced within the current squad and at a swipe of a pen in the summer if the club decides it.

I still think Mount, Abraham and Odoi will all be top class too, as long as they perform, they wont be replaced from the starting XI.

I would have had high hopes for Bulka too but signing another relatively young GK that breaks your transfer record, he was never going to stay, unfortunately. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Delnino said:

I reckon James, because of the lack of competition for his place at the moment. 

Mount, Abraham, Odoi can all be replaced within the current squad and at a swipe of a pen in the summer if the club decides it.

I still think Mount, Abraham and Odoi will all be top class too, as long as they perform, they wont be replaced from the starting XI.

I would have had high hopes for Bulka too but signing another relatively young GK that breaks your transfer record, he was never going to stay, unfortunately. 

I realise I'm asking a difficult question but its fun to speculate at this early stage. I agree Mount, Abraham and Odoi seem to stand out and of those 3 I think Mount is the more likely because of his terrific work ethic. Abraham is flying at the moment and there's no reason I can see at the moment why he shouldn't end up as Englands No 1. Odoi seems to be tangled up with contract and transfer request issues which could easily distract him from how he plays.

My favourite young player though is Ampadu. He shows a maturity beyond his years and looks a bit like a young JT sometimes. He is intelligent on the ball, can tackle and lay off a good pass. His composure on the ball makes it look like he has time and all the best players have that quality.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Andy North said:

I realise I'm asking a difficult question but its fun to speculate at this early stage. I agree Mount, Abraham and Odoi seem to stand out and of those 3 I think Mount is the more likely because of his terrific work ethic. Abraham is flying at the moment and there's no reason I can see at the moment why he shouldn't end up as Englands No 1. Odoi seems to be tangled up with contract and transfer request issues which could easily distract him from how he plays.

My favourite young player though is Ampadu. He shows a maturity beyond his years and looks a bit like a young JT sometimes. He is intelligent on the ball, can tackle and lay off a good pass. His composure on the ball makes it look like he has time and all the best players have that quality.

 

Ampadu is quality but he has to really nail down a position first, IMO. Hes being used as a CDM for Wales and a CB/CDM at Chelsea. I dont think hes big enough physically to be a CB myself but Azp was fine there in a 3 and Cannavro was hardly useless, was he? Another player from the Academy, Ake, is not a hulking CB and hes a decent player so hes certainly got a chance to make it at Chelsea as a CB but as you were saying, hes so composed on the ball, he could nearly be a Jorginho light, type CDM, keeping it ticking over and getting his side out of trouble.

It really depends on how this loan season goes and where Frank sees him for next year, as it stands, we're pretty stacked in CB and CDM options but if he performs well in Germany and impresses in next pre season, theres nothing stopping him playing for us long term, i just hope he identifies where HE wants to play long term and tries to stick with it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm convinced Abraham will be the leagues top scorer THIS season, i know people will think that's jumping the gun a bit, and the usual replies will be 'he needs to score against top teams' and other generic answers. But it won't be the first or last time a center forward comes out of thin air and storms the league. Vardy and Kane the two most recent to do so.

The key is that we have not just brought forward one youngster, but several have joined the squad and many are making the first team. This is the first time we have done this wholesale, before it was just testing the odd youngster off the bench, surrounded by seniors players they never played with before. The amazing link up play were seeing between them now has been in the making for many years.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


25 minutes ago, Argo said:

Out of the academy 8 James is the best player/biggest talent and come May I think that will be a popular opinion.

The rest are fantastic but James is sensational already.

Is he really that good? Haven't yet seen a full game of his so genuinly curious.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, coco said:

I'm convinced Abraham will be the leagues top scorer THIS season, i know people will think that's jumping the gun a bit, and the usual replies will be 'he needs to score against top teams' and other generic answers. But it won't be the first or last time a center forward comes out of thin air and storms the league. Vardy and Kane the two most recent to do so.

The key is that we have not just brought forward one youngster, but several have joined the squad and many are making the first team. This is the first time we have done this wholesale, before it was just testing the odd youngster off the bench, surrounded by seniors players they never played with before. The amazing link up play were seeing between them now has been in the making for many years.

I don't think Abraham will be the top scorer though he might come close.

Mount has impressed me.

I look forward to seeing Reece James as have heard the hype and seen clips.

Not sure about CHO, has skill yet as for the the whole package not sure.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1) Reece James

2) CHO

3) Mount

4) Tammy

5) Tomori

On ability i rate them as above, not included the likes of RLC and Andreas as they're established first team players now.

Reece James looks like he's purpose built to dominate this league and has the right mentality to go alongside. CHO is the most talented academy player i've seen come thorugh, god given speed and dribbling, expect him to slot straight in when he;s back. Mount i'm surprised by how well he's done, imo RLC is still ahead of him in a CM role but looks so comfortable further up the pitch. Tammy sn't as naturally talented as the others but has the perfect mentality to succeed, luckily was blessed with height and strength too which is helping him. Tomori, still a good player, i don't believe will be a nailed on starter for us any time soon. Rudiger and Christensen are both ahead of him and i hope we're looking at adding a WC CB to the list. However, more than happy for Tomori to be 4th choice and play 30 games a season in cups and sub appearances.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


11 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

1) Reece James

2) CHO

3) Mount

4) Tammy

5) Tomori

On ability i rate them as above, not included the likes of RLC and Andreas as they're established first team players now.

Reece James looks like he's purpose built to dominate this league and has the right mentality to go alongside. CHO is the most talented academy player i've seen come thorugh, god given speed and dribbling, expect him to slot straight in when he;s back. Mount i'm surprised by how well he's done, imo RLC is still ahead of him in a CM role but looks so comfortable further up the pitch. Tammy sn't as naturally talented as the others but has the perfect mentality to succeed, luckily was blessed with height and strength too which is helping him. Tomori, still a good player, i don't believe will be a nailed on starter for us any time soon. Rudiger and Christensen are both ahead of him and i hope we're looking at adding a WC CB to the list. However, more than happy for Tomori to be 4th choice and play 30 games a season in cups and sub appearances.

I see what you mean.

Strong, changes direction quickly, can tackle, has a free kick and can cross.  What's not to like.

Dave's replacement? Probably at some time. Get him going in the cups for the moment but we can't play all the youngsters all the time. Can we?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Andy North said:

I see what you mean.

Strong, changes direction quickly, can tackle, has a free kick and can cross.  What's not to like.

Dave's replacement? Probably at some time. Get him going in the cups for the moment but we can't play all the youngsters all the time. Can we?

If you'd asked me this same question at the start of the season i would have said absolutely not. Having seen how good they really are, now i'm starting to think our strongest 11 probably contains about 5 'youngsters'.

If they're good enough, they're old enough. Only one way to get them experience. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If anybody watched Reece out at Wigan last season will know what an animal he is and was for them.  He won three awards at their end of season celebration. He also played central midfield for them which shows his adaptability. He's certainly not getting in there at the moment with the players we have to choose from, but he's going to give Azpi a run for his money at RB when he's back and firing. Hoping to see him in the cup again Grimsby after he came through the u23 game unscathed ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Sindre said:

Is he really that good? Haven't yet seen a full game of his so genuinly curious.

Some Wigan fans think he's the best player to ever wear their shirt.

Its very high praise to say that of a loanee, especially at a club who have got to cup finals and bren established in the PL recently.

Despite a great start I still think there will be ups and downs with Mason, Tammy, Odoi, Tomori but Reece I genuinely believe will give us consistency from the get go, he's well ahead of his years mentally.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


10 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

After seeing how they have started the season, I'm not so sure anymore. I thought Hudson-Odoi was the most talented out of the lot, but Abraham and Mount have been really impressive so far.

Everything I've read from a few people who follow the youth teams say that Reece is the best one of all them. I haven't a clue, but if that's true then I'm all for that because, as you said, Mount and Abraham have been impressive and Hudson-Odoi, well we saw him a good bit last season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Marc Guehi is another one to keep an eye on although he may have limited opportunities this season. Sarri included him in a matchday squad last season and he made the bench tonight. Captained England u17's and scored in the U17 WC final win over Spain.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Tough choice, we’ve got a good crop at the moment.

I was impressed with Mason and Tomori last season, but they have been even better than I expected this season so far.

Tammy has done better than I expected as well.

CHO is talented obviously, but will need to continue where he left off once he’s fit again and the contract is sorted out.

I’m probably just as excited to see Reece James, this boy is good and has the physique to do well in the Premier League.

I’m actually looking forward to the Grimsby cup match as I think that’s when we’ll get a our first glimpse of James and CHO together this season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tough one. And it's between Mason and Tammy. They are already the two most important players for the team and they are gathering points. We've never seen that from CHO and Ruben. They alluded they might, but they haven't. 

Tammy to me. He is not only banging a huge amount of goals, his link up with the others is a world class, Giroud level. Tammy Abraham is a fast version of Giroud that can score goals. He is potential top 5 in the world. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Well, this is awkward!

awkward the office GIF

The Shed End Forum relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible without pop ups, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online and continue to keep the forum up, as over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this domain by switching it off. Some of the advert banners can actually be closed to avoid interferance of your experience on The Shed End.

Cheers now!

emma watson yes GIF

Alright already, It's off!