Real Madrid v Chelsea (CL Semi-Final 1st leg) Tue 27th Apr 2021 20:00 GMT

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

9 minutes ago, chiefBlueCFC said:

So, it looks like Eden may be fit for our semi-final? Is that right? I'm trying to find it and the best I can see is he might be back this weekend, but I didn't know if that would be back to training or match fit.

I'm not convinced he'd actually get into their starting eleven at the moment. He's not played a lot and we know he tends to get a bit soft around the middle when not playing...

More broadly I think they'll likely be stronger against us. Ramos and Varane will be back. Carvajal didn't play tonight either. Plus they still have that scary midfield. We go in huge underdogs. But I'm excited for Mason to test himself against the very best. 

Bit like Bayern last season I have zero expectations. Just hope we can enjoy it and give a good account of ourselves.

Edited by Spiller86

I'm actually really excited for this. We haven't played Real Madrid in the CL before and it's fascinating to see where we are at against them. We've played and done well against Atletico, Barcelona, Sevilla, so now it's our turn to see how we fare against RM. Let's go! 

Edited by enigma

2 hours ago, Spiller86 said:

Bit like Bayern last season I have zero expectations. Just hope we can enjoy it and give a good account of ourselves.

Agreed, this is the sort of occasion you want to be in the CL for. A semi final against the 14 time champions, against a manager who won them 3 of those titles in a row. Is the reason yo be in European football for me.

We are massive underdogs imo for sure. Like we are on Saturday. When you face one of the elite sides, a Bayern, a PSG, a City, a Real Madrid you know most of the time you are going to lose but you just never know. Either way a major glamour tie and one we have not had in 40 years.

There's a chance both teams may have fully fit squads by time we play the first leg and almost certainly in the 2nd (assuming everyone stays fit). Should be an interesting one.

If Eden isn't fit I think we have a decent chance. Where he's concerned it doesn't matter how the rest of his season or even his tenure up to this stage has been with Madrid.

If he's healthy he may just be the best player still in the competition. For me at least, Mbappe is top top quality and so is Neymar and KDB but we'll count ourselves lucky if he doesn't play in either legs.

4 minutes ago, LongtimerLurker said:

There's a chance both teams may have fully fit squads by time we play the first leg and almost certainly in the 2nd (assuming everyone stays fit). Should be an interesting one.

If Eden isn't fit I think we have a decent chance. Where he's concerned it doesn't matter how the rest of his season or even his tenure up to this stage has been with Madrid.

If he's healthy he may just be the best player still in the competition. For me at least, Mbappe is top top quality and so is Neymar and KDB but we'll count ourselves lucky if he doesn't play in either legs.

Nah I want him to play. He deserve it with all he has been through. Only real shame is no fans at the bridge to give him the return he deserves.

11 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

Nah I want him to play. He deserve it with all he has been through. Only real shame is no fans at the bridge to give him the return he deserves.

Also to give the snake the stick he deserves for going awol to force a transfer .

9 minutes ago, Jangz said:

Also to give the snake the stick he deserves for going awol to force a transfer .

Well that will just make him more determined to have the game of his life.

Though Mendy will have far more to do both games in my opinion. I mean I dont Rexall the Porto keeper making a save in either game.

24 minutes ago, haviet1 said:

This team went pass Atletico and Porto quite easily, and no one expected that.

I am still pretty confident with this team getting pass Madrid. 

Am not but is great you are.

For me is a club with 14 CL titles vs a club with 1.

A manager with 3 titles CL victories against one with zero.

A club that buys the best players from the other.

Liverpool were underdogs against them, we are massively so.

6 hours ago, axman2526 said:

Am not but is great you are.

For me is a club with 14 CL titles vs a club with 1.

A manager with 3 titles CL victories against one with zero.

A club that buys the best players from the other.

Liverpool were underdogs against them, we are massively so.

Didn't watch the first Madrid-Pool leg and they do turn on the engine in high profile games but this is a team in rebuild and imho has little to do with the ones that got 4 CL titles recently. Also, during those 4 CL campaigns they weren't that super dominant team like prime Barca or eventually Bayern last season. Liverpool were underdogs for sure (not by an incredible margins imho) but they are in bad shape, we are not. Liverpool plays with a high defensive line with their regular CBs injured so it's something completely different to our style and I'd say that our system isn't as much playing into their hands as Pools.

I wouldn't say I'm pretty confident we go past them (except Ramos and Varane would be still injured) but I do think their shadow makes them look much bigger and impressive than they actually are. Beatable for sure.

The problem I see with Real Madrid is that they usually turn up in the CL when it matters. They have the players with the experience to know when to turn the screw or when to keep the energy at low mode. We are a team full of youngsters with two years of experience at high level, so they haven't got the nous just yet. It is great that they are facing Real Madrid so they learn, but I don't see us having many chances to get to the final.

I love it when we underdog, it gives us extra motivation and knowing that beating this team we're in the final, beating the team that was there 3 times in the last 5 years, what can we ask for more?

I'd prefer to play Liverpool, but Real were the better team, so it was an unrealistic goal.

Real won Liverpool, Barcelona and kept a clean sheet at Anfield with Nacho and Militao as their CB's. Without their leader Ramos and Varane.

It's going to be an interesting match. COME ON CHELS!!!!!!!

11 hours ago, Valhalla said:

1971 - Chelsea 1:1 Real Madrid

1971 - Chelsea 2:1 Real Madrid

1998 - Chelsea 1:0 Real Madrid

Let's keep our unbeaten record against them 😉 

So have we not played them away? Or did you put Chelsea's name first because we are more important?

1 hour ago, RMH said:

The problem I see with Real Madrid is that they usually turn up in the CL when it matters. They have the players with the experience to know when to turn the screw or when to keep the energy at low mode. We are a team full of youngsters with two years of experience at high level, so they haven't got the nous just yet. It is great that they are facing Real Madrid so they learn, but I don't see us having many chances to get to the final.

I do agree that it could be a factor but on the flip side, the way you've just described us is similar to how the Ajax team that hammered them were seen as.