Romelu Lukaku back to Chelsea - and gone again!

Chelsea Megastore
Chelsea Megastore

Chelsea Megastore

Re The Board making signings at Chelsea wo consulting the manager/ 1st team coach. SFL talking to Neville in this show about transfers at CFC, its a collaborative process apparently  Board/ Coach/ Peter Cech, even I had assumed limited  manager/ coach input but that's not the case  per SFL. So Im pretty certain now TT and his team had input on signing Big Rom. 

Really disappointed with him on Saturday, never making a run when we had the ball in their final third, so we pass back and start all over again. Before the injury he was not playing well because too many games, now he's rusty, just can't get a break. Wednesday is a big game for him, can't see him start this weekend if he puts up another lame performance.

I believe TT when he says Lukaku is underdone at the minute. I think so far the worst thing he's done since his return is to utter words that could haunt him "I was dominant" after the Arsenal game. Will we get the Everton Lukaku or the UTD version that's the big question.

6 hours ago, General said:

Re The Board making signings at Chelsea wo consulting the manager/ 1st team coach. SFL talking to Neville in this show about transfers at CFC, its a collaborative process apparently  Board/ Coach/ Peter Cech, even I had assumed limited  manager/ coach input but that's not the case  per SFL. So Im pretty certain now TT and his team had input on signing Big Rom. 

Lukaku is 100% Tuchel signing. I don't think he said he want Lukaku specifically to the board but Tuchel said he wanted a no 9 who can play with back to goal. 

Club will probaby get few names,honestly the name is pretty straight forwar,lewa(not happening),Kane (They rejected 150 m offer from city),Haaland (Raiola + crazy number that was rumored around) and Lukaku.

Edited by Bob stark

9 hours ago, timetowaste said:

I legitimately can’t believe the amount of stick Lukaku is taking, I know as a fan base we’re not the most patient but Jesus Christ it’s embarrassing. 

This is his 2nd stint at the club, and fourth club in the league he has played for, so it's hardly as if he's a rookie who needs time. For price we paid we paid for him he should be oven ready.

11 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

First loss in the league since September and there's a pile on for the guy who's been out injured for 2 months. 

About 100 posts laying into Lukaku. 

Meanwhile Mendy, who was largly at fault for the loss to West Ham, gets a passing mention. 

Sesame Street Idk GIF

It's called credit in the bank, it's the same reason Cech didn't much critisism for bad performances but Bosingwa did. 

6 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

The difference is that Mendy's performance was an anomaly, Lukaku was poor before his injury and a lot of people were doubting him well before he even joined.

It's strange isn't it, I've even had to counter posts calling for Kepa's return ffs.

Most fanbases tend to have increased expectations on a player based on their cost (case in point Real fans getting on Ronaldo and Bale's back if they have a poor few games) for us it's the opposite, the more expensive they are they more excuses/people acting as lawyers for them they're afforded.

Edited by Argo

3 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Some might say that those people have been looking for an excuse to say "I told you so" regardless. 

Did you have this same energy when the likes of Michy and Turnbull were getting rightly critisised?

Even if what you were saying is true, there's one way to change all that and that's perform on the pitch. Around March time Tuchel and Chilwell (the latter of which I was sceptical about initially) were getting heavily criticised, why do you think that stopped?

16 minutes ago, Argo said:

Did you have this same energy when the likes of Michy and Turnbull were getting rightly critisised?

Even if what you were saying is true, there's one way to change all that and that's perform on the pitch. Around March time Tuchel and Chilwell (the latter of which I was sceptical about initially) were getting heavily criticised, why do you think that stopped?

Are you seriously comparing Lukaku to Ross Turnbull? 

I mean, Lukaku hasn't started a game for Chelsea in almost 2 months. 

Maybe once he's back fit and starting consecuative games maybe there's room for some criticism but I'm at a loss to understand what it is that people are expecting from him right now given the amount of football he's recently missed. 

3 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

but I'm at a loss to understand what it is that people are expecting from him right now given the amount of football he's recently missed. 

It's a simple answer, we look worse with him up front than we do with no player up front. 

1 hour ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Are you seriously comparing Lukaku to Ross Turnbull? 

I mean, Lukaku hasn't started a game for Chelsea in almost 2 months. 

Maybe once he's back fit and starting consecuative games maybe there's room for some criticism but I'm at a loss to understand what it is that people are expecting from him right now given the amount of football he's recently missed. 

Yes because if we're going down the route of having to back players then it should be blanket. But if you insist on sticking to the current squad, Hudson Odoi got pelters for ages and even after his recent incredible form is still not truly getting the credit he deserves.

The concerns about his stylistic fit are valid. If come the end of the season he's combining at a level with his teammates, heavily involved in the build up play, producing in big moments and pressing to the level this system required I'll be the first to hold my hands up (like I did with Chilwell). I don't think it's unreasonable to have some doubts that he will suddenly start doing all that at 28.

On 05/12/2021 at 16:31, forbzy said:

we shall see. Although Lukaku has basically missed the last 2 months and will need a few games to get back to speed. If he is still struggling by January then I agree it becomes a much bigger problem for Tuchel.

This is where it gets tricky if we are a mid table aiming side fine we give him time, if we are aiming high we play our best team and that probably means Havertz starts as no.9.

30 minutes ago, Argo said:

Yes because if we're going down the route of having to back players then it should be blanket. But if you insist on sticking to the current squad, Hudson Odoi got pelters for ages and even after his recent incredible form is still not truly getting the credit he deserves.

The concerns about his stylistic fit are valid. If come the end of the season he's combining at a level with his teammates, heavily involved in the build up play, producing in big moments and pressing to the level this system required I'll be the first to hold my hands up (like I did with Chilwell). I don't think it's unreasonable to have some doubts that he will suddenly start doing all that at 28.

For me that is big overstatement, he has played better for sure yet no goals and assists are very thin on the ground.

1 hour ago, strider6004 said:

For me that is big overstatement, he has played better for sure yet no goals and assists are very thin on the ground.

Players can be great without stat padding, we of all fans should know that after Drogba.

Yeah Coco nailed it for me. We signed the finished product. 28 years old, several years experience in the league already, a couple outside it with a top coach that insist on hard work.

He should be good and ready to go not needing time to adapt. As it is though we are a poorer side when he plays and have been since around the Villa and Zenit games. 

As Argo has said though we will all be very happy to be proven wrong. Would still like Saul to prove me wrong too.

27 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

Yeah Coco nailed it for me. We signed the finished product. 28 years old, several years experience in the league already, a couple outside it with a top coach that insist on hard work.

He should be good and ready to go not needing time to adapt. As it is though we are a poorer side when he plays and have been since around the Villa and Zenit games. 

As Argo has said though we will all be very happy to be proven wrong. Would still like Saul to prove me wrong too.

That would be great except no striker is actually doing much under Tuchel, part from Werner missing chances and making some assists last season. Lukaku was ready to do, he started the season well but then stopped scoring and soon after got injured. I imagine if we had Messi right now you could say the same thing, established player that isn't doing enough for his new team...

12 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

That would be great except no striker is actually doing much under Tuchel, part from Werner missing chances and making some assists last season. Lukaku was ready to do, he started the season well but then stopped scoring and soon after got injured. I imagine if we had Messi right now you could say the same thing, established player that isn't doing enough for his new team...

Difference if Lukaku wants to be here, so we hear. 

No way Messi has his heart at PSG, he wanted to stay at Barca, could not and then went for the money and no doubt regrets it.

6 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

Difference if Lukaku wants to be here, so we hear. 

No way Messi has his heart at PSG, he wanted to stay at Barca, could not and then went for the money and no doubt regrets it.

That would be much worse then, imagine paying someone astronomous wages only to hear that he's not performing because well, his heart is somewhere else... Never mind that he could have taken a small break or played for free in Boca or wherever he wanted except his former club, he took you for a fool.

Lukaku is at the very least eager to do well but Tuchel simply must know how to get the best out of him. And if Lampard could make Tammy the top scorer in his first PL season I see no reason why Tuchel shouldn't be able to make this work. 

Assuming Tuchel was involved in the decision to sign Rom, then it is on him to make the signing work. We have seen Rom work fine in plenty of other teams, including for Belgium. So there ought to be a way to get him scoring for Chelsea too. If Tuchel has to change his system to make it work then so be it. I am sure he would have considered that possibility when he was asked for his input on the signing. It is not as though Rom was some obscure player with very little data available.