Liverpool v Chelsea (PL) Sat 28th Aug 2021 17:30 GMT

coco

21 hours ago, Luiz4Chelsea said:

So playing Kanté+Jorgi+Kova? Bit of a CM overkill maybe, after all we need someone to feed our forwards. I'm totally for bringing Werner though, love the idea of unleshing Werner-Lukaku on their high line. Other tough calls:

- Alonso vs Chilwell: Chilwell seems like the more suitable choice for their fullbacks but I wouldn't rule Alonso out, he's so full of confidence and not setting a foot wrong at the moment. Also worried that Chilly might not be the type of player who immediately picks up where he left after not playing for a bit.

- Jorgi vs Kova: If we're playing without Kai, Kova could offer a bit more progressive energy. Probably wouldn't be wise to lose the stability Jorginho brings, and Kanté can do it all anyway.

- Christensen vs Silva: This could be a tough call many times this season. Especially in a game like Liverpool I'd love to see Silva's commanding presence. Christensen however has been amazing so far in every aspect of his game, he's also a bit quicker and more mobile, probably deserves to start again.

-----------Werner--Lukaku-----------

----------------Mount----------------

Chilwell----Jorginho--Kanté-----James

----Rüdiger--Christensen---Azpi------

----------------Mendy----------------

I feel more and more as the team train together and prepare, I feel we are getting better. And a player like Jorginho, he's a little physically weak to play against big teams but I think that didn't show against Arsenal and I think we were able to play a style where he helps us build from the back.

But, against Liverpool, I don't think Liverpool will give us space. We can't afford to allow Liverpool to attack our defense, so Jorginho should not start this match. It's better we have our best defensive battle against Liverpool. 

It should be Kovacic and Kante in that midfield. We are fighting against Fabinho and Henderson in the Midfield, and Mane, Firmino and SALAH in attack, so please we must start Kovacic and Kante, Jorginho should not be in that starting line-up.

Then, obviously Chillwell should be playing instead of Alonso. I don't think Alonso will be able to stop Salah and Alexander-Arnold from destroying us in that left wing, but I think Chillwell will be able to do that.

In our attack, Liverpool will tackle our players, so we must use players that are a bit strong. I don't think Havertz can play in this match. We should use Mount and Ziyech. Or if Pulisic is fit, we can use him. If Pulisic is not fit for this match, we will really miss him. 

Pulisic would have really given Klopp a lot of headache. He knows if we use Havertz, his players will not allow him to play. But if we use Pulisic, he may disturb his defenders. But if Pulisic is not fit, we can use Ziyech, then Havertz can come in in the second half.

Then Lukaku should play upfront.

If we do these, we may win them.

Edited by hephzibah

1 hour ago, hephzibah said:

I feel more and more as the team train together and prepare, I feel we are getting better. And a player like Jorginho, he's a little physically weak to play against big teams but I think that didn't show against Arsenal and I think we were able to play a style where he helps us build from the back.

But, against Liverpool, I don't think Liverpool will give us space. We can't afford to allow Liverpool to attack our defense, so Jorginho should not start this match. It's better we have our best defensive battle against Liverpool. 

It should be Kovacic and Kante in that midfield. We are fighting against Fabinho and Henderson in the Midfield, and Mane, Firmino and SALAH in attack, so please we must start Kovacic and Kante, Jorginho should not be in that starting line-up.

Then, obviously Chillwell should be playing instead of Alonso. I don't think Alonso will be able to stop Salah and Alexander-Arnold from destroying us in that left wing, but I think Chillwell will be able to do that.

In our attack, Liverpool will tackle our players, so we must use players that are a bit strong. I don't think Havertz can play in this match. We should use Mount and Ziyech. Or if Pulisic is fit, we can use him. If Pulisic is not fit for this match, we will really miss him. 

Pulisic would have really given Klopp a lot of headache. He knows if we use Havertz, his players will not allow him to play. But if we use Pulisic, he may disturb his defenders. But if Pulisic is not fit, we can use Ziyech, then Havertz can come in in the second half.

I think you give Liverpool too much credit and also do a disservice to Havertz.. Havertz will be crucial in dropping deep to help with our build up while also making late runs to support Lukaku up top. 

I see Lukaku and van dijk cancelling eachother out while havertz takes advantage of the space Alexander Arnold leaves behind.

My only worry is having Alonso and Jorginho on the pitch at the same time, we need recovery speed against Liverpools quick transitions. Thankfully we have a world class coach so I don't have to worry 😅😅😅

13 minutes ago, The Don Antonio said:

My only worry is having Alonso and Jorginho on the pitch at the same time, we need recovery speed against Liverpools quick transitions. Thankfully we have a world class coach so I don't have to worry 😅😅😅

That's quite possibly the reason why he's almost bald: he worries a lot in his little cellar!

But I agree about the take of Rom/VVD canceling each other out most likely. I'd say Werner will have a lot of impact - like he did in the last game vs. Pool as well. 

Liverpool's pace is always a concern though. James seemed a bit out of tune defensively imho vs Arsenal and whoever plays on the RWB (my guess is Alonso) has question marks as well. Alonso being not as fast and Chilwell without any match-fitness.

This is always a match I look forward to and one I’m desperate for Chelsea not to lose. I think Werner should come in for Havertz, as I remember his pace causing them a lot of problems last season. 

A win would probably make us favourites for the title, but I’d be relatively happy with a draw here.

Edited by Dubair

I would be very surprised if Werner didn't start this one. He gave them all kinds of grief last season and his pace and movement against their prefered tactic of playing a high line should make them think twice about pushing up too high against us. 

If nothing else it might mean that either TAA has to restrict how often he pushes up or Werner will have some room to play with down Liverpool's right flank. 

This is a big test for us so early into the season but thankfully there's a full week between games at the moment so plenty of time for rest and preperation. 

Big game for both teams, but the pressure is nearly all on them and especially Klopp. 

All their 4 attackers struggled against us last time out and they failed to score at Anfield.

2 hours ago, ForeverCarefree said:

I would be very surprised if Werner didn't start this one. He gave them all kinds of grief last season and his pace and movement against their prefered tactic of playing a high line should make them think twice about pushing up too high against us. 

If nothing else it might mean that either TAA has to restrict how often he pushes up or Werner will have some room to play with down Liverpool's right flank. 

This is a big test for us so early into the season but thankfully there's a full week between games at the moment so plenty of time for rest and preperation. 

Nah they will push up high, nothing will change.

5 hours ago, The Don Antonio said:

I think you give Liverpool too much credit and also do a disservice to Havertz.. Havertz will be crucial in dropping deep to help with our build up while also making late runs to support Lukaku up top. 

I see Lukaku and van dijk cancelling eachother out while havertz takes advantage of the space Alexander Arnold leaves behind.

I don't think anybody liked my post but I think I've seen two people like your reply. Do u agree with me that I did a good analysis of Liverpool and Chelsea?

I think you said I gave too much credit to Liverpool, how did I do that? Don't you know Liverpool players? Don't you know what they can do? Don't you know what Chelsea players can do?

What I said about the two teams is what I know about the two teams.

8 hours ago, hephzibah said:

If our wing backs stay forward and if our backline pushes too high up the pitch it really doesn't matter who is playing and who is on the bench.

You think that it's possible to not allow a team like Liverpool to attack our backline/defenders for 90minutes but in reality no team can do that, if that was possible we wouldn't play with a back 3 in the first place. Clearly the defenders are needed and have the responsibility to do their job, the last time we lost against them it was after Christensen got a red card and it had nothing to do with any midfielder.

53 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

If our wing backs stay forward and if our backline pushes too high up the pitch it really doesn't matter who is playing and who is on the bench.

You think that it's possible to not allow a team like Liverpool to attack our backline/defenders for 90minutes but in reality no team can do that, if that was possible we wouldn't play with a back 3 in the first place. Clearly the defenders are needed and have the responsibility to do their job, the last time we lost against them it was after Christensen got a red card and it had nothing to do with any midfielder.

Will you just by yourself play further up the pitch, or what is it that you said we should do? 

Whatever you want to do, you still have to have the right players on the pitch. It is these players that will allow you to do what you want to do on the pitch. And that's what I'm saying, that we should use the right set of players that can enable us do what we want to do on the pitch both defensively and offensively.

If you play Jorginho, and you get exposed at the back, do you like that? If you play Alonso, and you get exposed on the left wing, do you like that?

3 minutes ago, hephzibah said:

Will you just by yourself play further up the pitch, or what is it that you said we should do? 

Whatever you want to do, you still have to have the right players on the pitch. It is these players that will allow you to do what you want to do on the pitch. And that's what I'm saying, that we should use the right set of players that can enable us do what we want to do on the pitch both defensively and offensively.

If you play Jorginho, and you get exposed at the back, do you like that? If you play Alonso, and you get exposed on the left wing, do you like that?

Can't remember Jorginho having a bad game vs Liverpool...

I guess we'll see Werner on the left helping out our LWB (imho likely Alonso who is just too good in form to be dropped imho) and Kanté alongside Jorgi (instead of Kova) who got the speed, lung and anticipation to help protecting our backline. I can also see us defend rather deep with a lot of long balls on Lukaku / Werner who will try to bring each other into play.

1 hour ago, hephzibah said:

I don't think anybody liked my post but I think I've seen two people like your reply. Do u agree with me that I did a good analysis of Liverpool and Chelsea?

I think you said I gave too much credit to Liverpool, how did I do that? Don't you know Liverpool players? Don't you know what they can do? Don't you know what Chelsea players can do?

It was a good analysis but i didn't agree with it that why i didn't like it but replied to it. I felt you were giving Liverpool too much credit when you said we shouldn't play Jorginho because of liverpools attack. We played Jorginho in the UCL final against Man city and they only had one shot on target. You also said that you preferred Havertz not starting because LIVERPOOL HAVE A STRONG DEFENCE THAT WILL TACKLE HIM AND HE WILL LOSE THE BALL which i replied with my statement of you not giving Havertz credit because he is not as weak as you portray him and he will also be droping back to help the midfielders against the press and also in our build up play.

You are worried about what they can do to us but i am sure Klopp is more worried about what we can do them and how our front 3 of Havertz Mount and Lukakau can expose them. For example you are worried about Salah and Alexander Arnold attacking Alonso but what about Alonso exposing Alexander Arnolds lack of defensive awareness

Would not be surprised if our plan is to kick the ball behind their defenders so they have to run back and then trying to stop their build up forcing them to go long towards Salah, Firminho and Mane against Rudiger,Christensen and Azpi.

An interesting question will be who plays wide back.

I would think speed around the pitch will be needed so expect Werner, Mount and Lukaku to start.  

3 hours ago, hephzibah said:

I think you're a bit harsh on Jorginho, but I liked your post because it was thought out and worth the read.  Different opinions can be interesting even if you don't agree with them, so keep it up please. 

I'd would swap Alonso out for Chilwell too.

Mendy | Azpi Christensen Rudiger |  James Kante Kova Chilwell | Mount | Werner Lukaku

I think this will be a great match to have Werner next to Lukaku and use Werner's pace to get behind these bastards. Especially since they are going to be pressing us. Figured we could use Kova's ability in tight spaces in this match over what Jorginho brings. I'm torn between having Silva anchor the back three or Christensen, but I went with Christensen since he has played the last two league matches

Under Sarri and the early stages of Lampard's tenure we went toe to toe with this Liverpool side and didn't look a bit out of place, granted we didn't get the results we wanted but it was a blueprint on how to face this Liverpool side.

Now we have the extra quality (both on the pitch and in the dugout) to hopefully add results to the good performances we tend to put in against these lot.

In the last game against them Tuchel got a win after Mount's goal while being on the left side from where he got a longer pass from Kante. Werner could start ahead of Kai but it's a big question if Mount can do equally good without roaming while Werner is exclusively occupying the left hand side of the pitch, Kai on the other hand is very much capable of going from left to right and coming deeper for the ball which gives Mount more options. With that said, Mount can also come deeper and pass to Werner/Lukaku so it's all up to Tuchel who will be dropped but it's safe to say that Lukaku will start the game.

So far Tuchel mainly used Kante - Jorginho and Kovacic - Jorginho pairs and not Kante - Kovacic. Naturally Kante is at his best while having more freedom  to read the game and move all around the pitch both with and without the ball and Kovacic naturally carries the ball a lot so both need a player to stay back while they do their thing and Tuchel clearly knows how to get the best out of them.

IMO this is more of a tactical game, Klopp probably wants to have possession and so do we so it's hard to predict just how much space there will be in the central areas. It could be vital to be able to rely on the backline to keep possession and if our wing-backs can keep theirs busy we could have the slight advantage. But I can't help to think that our weakness might just be defending a free kick or crosses in general.

Hard to try to predict this game, against Arsenal it was easier to be confident,I honestly thought we would get a penalty right after 10 minutes but instead Lukaku scored a bit afterwards and got several players booked.

The one thing that I'm really hyped about is to see Lukaku against Van Dijk. I read someone that wrote off Lukaku already and their argument is a few seasons old from the time when Lukaku was in Man United. Give us a semi-counter attack and let's see if Van Dijk can defend Lukaku that's all I'm asking for.

Edited by Gol15

2 hours ago, Barry Bridges said:

I think you're a bit harsh on Jorginho, but I liked your post because it was thought out and worth the read.  Different opinions can be interesting even if you don't agree with them, so keep it up please. 

I'd would swap Alonso out for Chilwell too.

Thanks.

3 hours ago, The Don Antonio said:

It was a good analysis but i didn't agree with it that why i didn't like it but replied to it. I felt you were giving Liverpool too much credit when you said we shouldn't play Jorginho because of liverpools attack. We played Jorginho in the UCL final against Man city and they only had one shot on target. You also said that you preferred Havertz not starting because LIVERPOOL HAVE A STRONG DEFENCE THAT WILL TACKLE HIM AND HE WILL LOSE THE BALL which i replied with my statement of you not giving Havertz credit because he is not as weak as you portray him and he will also be droping back to help the midfielders against the press and also in our build up play.

You are worried about what they can do to us but i am sure Klopp is more worried about what we can do them and how our front 3 of Havertz Mount and Lukakau can expose them. For example you are worried about Salah and Alexander Arnold attacking Alonso but what about Alonso exposing Alexander Arnolds lack of defensive awareness

You need to understand the difference between Man City and Liverpool. I feel Man City as a team are not very strong defensively, and I feel that was why we defeated them thrice last season. But Liverpool, I feel they are a team very strong defensively and offensively.

I feel they have a good defense and I think they also have Fabinho and Henderson in front of them to make them solid defensively. So we must consider all that. Also, we must be aware of the threat that their attackers pose.

I am not saying we won't cause them problems, that is what we all want, I sincerely want it, but we must take care of the areas where they can hurt us, and also try to play players that can hurt them.

Edited by hephzibah

20 minutes ago, hephzibah said:

You need to understand the difference between Man City and Liverpool. I feel Man City as a team are not very strong defensively, and I feel that was why we defeated them thrice last season. But Liverpool, I feel they are a team very strong defensively and offensively.

I feel they have a good defense and I think they also have Fabinho and Henderson in front of them to make them solid defensively. So we must consider all that. Also, we must be aware of the threat that their attackers pose.

I am not saying we won't cause them problems, that is what we all want, I sincerely want it, but we must take care of the areas where they can hurt us, and also try to play players that can hurt them.

Liverpool are strong offensively and defensively but their defense is not beter than City's. Trent Alexander Arnold is a BIG liability and i am sure Tuchel has a plan to exploit it. I think you still look at Liverpool as that team that steamrolled the league the year before last. 

I guess it all makes for an entertaining game. Tuchel seems to always have his tactics right and he has a very good record against the big 6 so i am sure he will pick the right game plan and personnel for this fixture .