Liverpool v Chelsea (PL) Sat 28th Aug 2021 17:30 GMT

coco

7 hours ago, Strider6003 said:

Would not be surprised if our plan is to kick the ball behind their defenders so they have to run back and then trying to stop their build up forcing them to go long towards Salah, Firminho and Mane against Rudiger,Christensen and Azpi.

An interesting question will be who plays wide back.

I would think speed around the pitch will be needed so expect Werner, Mount and Lukaku to start.  

I doubt Firminho  will start ...Jota is in full form and confidence. 

Edited by fun2sh

Lukaku needs to turn up and press their CBs. Kai and Mount is quietly crucial because they do a lot of the dirty work dropping deep and creating spaces for the wingbacks and creating triangles with the midfield

11 hours ago, Barry Bridges said:

I think you're a bit harsh on Jorginho, but I liked your post because it was thought out and worth the read.  Different opinions can be interesting even if you don't agree with them, so keep it up please. 

I'd would swap Alonso out for Chilwell too.

I forgot to talk about this. I was not harsh on Jorginho. We all know about Jorginho's defensive frailties. And as we go into this game, Liverpool may exploit that to harm us. Games like this may go down to the little details between the two teams. 

We are talking about what we can get if Jorginho plays for us, but we are not talking about the danger of playing Jorginho, the benefit that Liverpool can get from us playing Jorginho. If Liverpool are able to prevent us from scoring, they may capitalize on Jorginho's weakness to harm us.

So it is better for us not to have any weakness in our team by playing Kovacic and Kante, have them well drilled, then Liverpool will not have anything to capitalize on in our midfield. Then we can give them a very good match from our defense to our midfield to our attack.

Then talking of Alonso, we used Alonso against Arsenal, we won Arsenal 2-0, what if we had used Chillwell? Maybe we would have defeated Arsenal 4-0, because I think Chillwell is better than Alonso. But for this match, please let's play Chillwell instead of Alonso.

16 minutes ago, hephzibah said:

I forgot to talk about this. I was not harsh on Jorginho. We all know about Jorginho's defensive frailties. And as we go into this game, Liverpool may exploit that to harm us. Games like this may go down to the little details between the two teams. 

We are talking about what we can get if Jorginho plays for us, but we are not talking about the danger of playing Jorginho, the benefit that Liverpool can get from us playing Jorginho. If Liverpool are able to prevent us from scoring, they may capitalize on Jorginho's weakness to harm us.

So it is better for us not to have any weakness in our team by playing Kovacic and Kante, have them well drilled, then Liverpool will not have anything to capitalize on in our midfield. Then we can give them a very good match from our defense to our midfield to our attack.

Then talking of Alonso, we used Alonso against Arsenal, we won Arsenal 2-0, what if we had used Chillwell? Maybe we would have defeated Arsenal 4-0, because I think Chillwell is better than Alonso. But for this match, please let's play Chillwell instead of Alonso.

Tuchel didn't rely that much on Kovacic-Kante but he did rely on Jorginho-Kante most of the time from what I recall and on Kovacic-Jorginho. The sub he used mostly in the midfield was to replace Kante with Kovacic or vice-versa. If you're right then we should see a big change in that pattern.

I personally think that Jorginho is better defensively than Kovacic anyway because Kovacic as a DM doesn't follow his man nor does he take care of his area as much as he should, most recent case is the goal that Villarreal scored.

Excited and nervous about this game. There is no team that I despise more than Liverpool. Let’s beat there ass in front of there repugnant fans who abused Billy Gilmour.

20 minutes ago, Gol15 said:

Tuchel didn't rely that much on Kovacic-Kante but he did rely on Jorginho-Kante most of the time from what I recall and on Kovacic-Jorginho. The sub he used mostly in the midfield was to replace Kante with Kovacic or vice-versa. If you're right then we should see a big change in that pattern.

I personally think that Jorginho is better defensively than Kovacic anyway because Kovacic as a DM doesn't follow his man nor does he take care of his area as much as he should, most recent case is the goal that Villarreal scored.

I don't think Kovacic is a DM at all actually . He's an amazing #8 kind of playmaker who isn't above his defensive duties but imho there isn't even a question whether Jorgi is the defensively better player or not. And although his fingerpointing got a bit of a meme it actually just shows how he's involved in structural organisation all the time. He's also said for nonstop talking it's just more obvious with the finger pointing.

Btw. I think too that the central pairings were mostly Jorgi-Kova or Jorgi-Kanté and both worked wonderfully. I do think that Kanté will play if he's anywhere fit for 80+ mins but imho he's playing at his best if we press high most of the times which I don't think we'll do THAT much against Liverpool. Could be way off of course though. And if we play a deep sitting game Kovacic is helping tremendously to open up tight situations and initiating counter plays. Maybe we'll see a good deal of a 532 (or more 3-5-1-1) with Mount doing Kova's part in the build up process trying to find Lukaku up top with Werner waiting a bit deeper to profit of Rom's off-layering (? is that a word? Like what Rom did beforehand the first goal vs Arsenal). It'd be quite defensive - even for our standard - but as long as Liverpool's not leading they'll be scared to push forward too much while they won't be able to play pacey attacks as well (most of the time). That way a lot will depend on Lukaku holding his ground against VVD though (but that would also create lots of spaces for Timo to run into anyway).

When TT chased Bayern in his first Dortmund season he played mostly for draws in the direct comparisons (=trying not to lose). I can see him doing that this season as well with Pool / United and City (at least when playing away)  - who are always capable for a defensive f#up to let us profit by rather individual exploits. 

Line-up will be really interesting..

Edited by weetee

3 hours ago, Gol15 said:

Kova is not a DM, he's our ball-moving midfielder against high presses. His ball recoveries need work. Basically he's the lesser version of Modric

@weetee @Deino I always saw Kovacic as a DM for us but you're right he's clearly a CM, that's how he plays. That means that we don't really have any other DM part from Jorginho so we don't really have a proper sub or anyone to contest that position right now, unless maybe Ampadu gets into the conversation.

We should probably focus on a new DM next summer because I see Gilmour as a similar type of player like Kovacic and Jorginho's contract expires 2023.

Honestly it doesn't matter if we play Jorginho, kova or kante even if we play two Kante. Pool at anfield will always be an extremely dificult game, there is no way we can just completely destroy them. 

And since it is going to be mr anti-Chelsea who will lead the game, it is basically game over. Just enjoy the game and don't curse too much. 

They'll have the crowd and the ref on their side, as well as NBC Sports USA & the UK media. They've looked good value in their 2 games played just like Chelsea. Think our team just need to play their game as TT will of prepared them for all week, Kova or Jorginho wont make any difference if the game is taken to them i.e. press them equally as high, stop their midfield and attack down the flanks. Defo will not be as easy as CP or Arse and we will see if Big Rom can do it against them and put the 'flat track bully' label to bed once & for all.

I'd go with  almost the same line up as Sat - replace Kai with Temo, Alonso with Chilly & Kova with Kante. 

Its never been easy going to crapfield even when we were bossing the Prem, a 1-1 or 0-0 most likely imo if both teams play to their ability and no one makes a mistake.

Anthony Taylor refereeing the Shakter v  Monaco match that has gone into extra time past midnight. Why is it seen as a problem for footballers but not referees playing a couple of days later? The bald twat will be knackered and have trouble keeping up with play, so expect some even softer fouls given on Saturday.

I’m still pissed off about his calamitous decisions in the FA Cup final against Arsenal. Hopefully he is non partisan in this fixture though I’m not optimistic. It’s really frustrating the best and most competitive league in the world yet with arguably the worst set referees.

1 hour ago, charierre said:

Anthony Taylor refereeing the Shakter v  Monaco match that has gone into extra time past midnight. Why is it seen as a problem for footballers but not referees playing a couple of days later? The bald twat will be knackered and have trouble keeping up with play, so expect some even softer fouls given on Saturday.

Had exactly the same thought watching the game. Was hoping he'd pick up a muscle injury but seemed to avoid anything that might keep him out of Saturday's game.

He turned down two penalty appeals from Monaco and booked one of their players for diving. All good decisions IMO, so he is overdue some disgraceful ones that will hurt us.

Given his track record against in big games in recent seasons it's pretty obvious why Liverpool selected him for this match.

On 23/08/2021 at 20:44, axman2526 said:

For me if realistically we want to win the title we need to win this game and the one at home to City. The points are important but the physiological hit we could deliver beating Liverpool in front of their fans followed by beating City again could really put some doubts in their players heads.

If this was at the Bridge I would be looking at 3 points...if we can take at least a point from our immediate rivals at their home grounds, it's more than enough to win the league providing we beat up the remainder or the league home and away.  While years ago beating any top '6' side was the litmus test...now its the top 10 as teams have become stronger. Winning the league is now more strategic than ever; taking at point as a minimum at Anfield is a step in the right direction IMO.

We're f**king champions of Europe, they should fear us even at their home.

Tuchel has gave me so much hope, so much belief and I'm proudly can say that we can go for the title this season.

These kind of games takes us there, win here and put a strong word to the league.

I'd go with the same lineup against Arsenal, Alonso is in good form, so I can trust him against Salah. If Kante is not fit enough, then Kova and Jorginho combo is good enough. 

----------- Mendy ----------

-- Azpilicueta - Christensen - Rudiger -

James -- Jorginho - Kovacic/Kante - Alonso

----- Mount ------ Havertz ------

-------------- Lukaku -----------

COME ON CHELS!!!!!

If we are considering Liverpool as title contenders, which I think everyone can agree on. Getting a draw against them is just as much two points dropped for them, then it is for us. Arguably it’s more a must win game for them being at home. Whilst I want three points, a draw would not be a bad result. With United and City having both dropped already anything but a loss is good in my eyes. Same applies for when we play City, three points against Tottenham however is a must. I think Liverpool and City fans would also realistically take a draw

36 minutes ago, jrshugo said:

If we are considering Liverpool as title contenders, which I think everyone can agree on. Getting a draw against them is just as much two points dropped for them, then it is for us. Arguably it’s more a must win game for them being at home. Whilst I want three points, a draw would not be a bad result.

Last season i would agree with you, but not now. This is a six pointer with plenty of rewards, and we should be going all in for the win.

It wouldn't just be a win, it would be a massive statement of our intentions this season, it would give us a huge momentum affect, where the players will fight even harder as each game comes, the more we win the more they want it. 

It would also be a blow to Klopp and another personal defeat to his fellow countryman.

Is there a pattern here...?

Klopp: 2017/18 CL Final Runner up, 2018/2019 CL Final Winner, 2019 Super Cup Winner, 2019/2020 Premier League Winner

Tuchel: 2019/2020 CL Final Runner up, 2020/2021 CL Final Winner, 2021 Super Cup Winner, 2021/2022 Premier League Winner...?

Tuchel's birthday on August 29 so hopefully he gets a nice present of 3 points from the players with 3 goals against Liverpool.

Edited by rocker_joker

21 hours ago, coco said:

Last season i would agree with you, but not now. This is a six pointer with plenty of rewards, and we should be going all in for the win.

It wouldn't just be a win, it would be a massive statement of our intentions this season, it would give us a huge momentum affect, where the players will fight even harder as each game comes, the more we win the more they want it. 

It would also be a blow to Klopp and another personal defeat to his fellow countryman.

I agree the win would be absolutely massive but that also shows why we have to be mindful that a point wouldn't be the worse thing because everything you have said would apply to Liverpool also if they are the winners.

Edited by Argo