Following Our Nearest And Dearest Rivals 2022/23

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

1 hour ago, Sconnie Blue said:

Going to need the footballing gods to help us out Friday. 

Avoiding Bayern, Napoli, and City would be incredible. Even better if they are in a different bracket than ours. 

Not to mention, if we're going to get Real I'd rather it not be in a final, their record in them especially in UCL is just beyond crazy.

Although that said, same applied to Jose and Pep managed teams until we faced them in one.

54 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

Bundesliga may be more deceptive than Serie A. I'm worried about how good Nkunku really is now.

I don't think people realise how poor the Bundesliga really is these days. Apart from Haaland, all the good players are at Bayern. The fact that they're not doing great tells you all you need to know about how poor the overall level is.

The big problem is that virtually every side plays the same style of hyper-aggressive football. Haaland aside, I think this inflates the ability of attackers but weirdly defenders from the Bundesliga have actually been pretty good signings (Kouate, Akanji, Matip and Christensen's return before them etc). I guess the defending is so poor that good defenders stand out like a sore thumb?

Apart from Bayern, there's a big gap between the top teams in Germany and the big teams in EPL. Don't get me wrong, German league is fun to watch but way too open defensively, City could have put 10 past Redbull if they want to. If we get Inter next game, is Lukaku allowed to play? There's a script out there for him if he does, either he haunts us with a last minute winner, or miss 3 sitters tosend us through, break both handssmashing the wall after the game and stay injured for the next 12 months.

1 hour ago, icecoolguy22 said:

Apart from Bayern, there's a big gap between the top teams in Germany and the big teams in EPL. Don't get me wrong, German league is fun to watch but way too open defensively, City could have put 10 past Redbull if they want to. If we get Inter next game, is Lukaku allowed to play? There's a script out there for him if he does, either he haunts us with a last minute winner, or miss 3 sitters tosend us through, break both handssmashing the wall after the game and stay injured for the next 12 months.

Yes and can and I hope he does. I'd rather face him than Dzeko.

If in the extremely unlikely event he does score he'll probably be a d**khead to the crowd which would make a return to the set up next season pretty much impossible just incase Boehly and Potter are considering it, so win win.

Edited by Argo

I'm not sure it's Bundesliga being bad per say, but like the Liverpool/Utd game last weekend, these results can happen if you switch off. The first leg was more competitive between the two. It's not like City have been in that good of form. AC Milan haven't been good but beat the 4th best team in the PL right now. The table doesn't always mirror the true quality of teams.

5 hours ago, enigma said:

I'm not sure it's Bundesliga being bad per say, but like the Liverpool/Utd game last weekend, these results can happen if you switch off. The first leg was more competitive between the two. It's not like City have been in that good of form. AC Milan haven't been good but beat the 4th best team in the PL right now. The table doesn't always mirror the true quality of teams.

It is not about the quality of the player but the insistence from every single team to play suicide football is the problem. 

TAA is so so poor

and he thinks he has some magnificent passing ability but he overhits everything  

he is the new Dele Alli

he comes across as very lazy, he doesn't even defend. Absolutely adds nothing defensively, if anything they need to sacrifice one player to make up for him

Edited by azpi28

8 hours ago, Bob stark said:

It is not about the quality of the player but the insistence from every single team to play suicide football is the problem. 

I've got a feeling teams may do it to inflate their attackers stats for future sales.

48 minutes ago, icecoolguy22 said:

Apart from City and Real, we should fancy our chances against the other 5 teams left. We can't be drawing AC right, since we are from the same group? Benfica to ideal, but will take Inter now.

It's a totally open draw in the quarters, country and group protection is out of the window so we can absolutely get Milan again.

I can't recall a group stage repeat immediately in the quarters that often though, it's never happened to us and off the top of my head I can only think of Barca/Milan (2012) and PSV/Liverpool (2007), maybe @Sexyfootballwill have the figures.

Edited by Argo