Chelsea v Aston Villa (PL) Sun 24th Sep 2023 14:00 GMT

coco

Team has scored 28 goals in last 33 games, winning 2 of last 18 games.  Even on a larger sample, our goal rate is 1.25 over the last 68 league games.  Until we can score goals we are going absolutely nowhere other than backwards.

Villa could really embarrass us.  Perhaps that's the wake up call a few of the egos need,

42 minutes ago, PhilH930 said:

Team has scored 28 goals in last 33 games, winning 2 of last 18 games.  Even on a larger sample, our goal rate is 1.25 over the last 68 league games.  Until we can score goals we are going absolutely nowhere other than backwards.

Villa could really embarrass us.  Perhaps that's the wake up call a few of the egos need,

The collective inability to score goals, or even take shots, is quite baffling. It should be the most natural thing in the world, going back to when they were 7 year olds in the park using jumpers for goal posts (or am I showing my age here LOL).

It seems the more money is thrown at so-called professional footballers for their astronomical wages the worse they get in terms of basic skills. For the skill level shown they should all be on a basic of £500 a week, though in some cases you could argue that even that was too much. 

It's honestly depressing watching the same game over and over again, only difference being the opposing team. 

I think we just might be cursed. Surely Boehly owns a house built on an indian burial ground.

Hope springs eternal, and in this case it’s hope that poch is not as dumb as he seems and can learn from his mistakes. 

it’s obvious colwill  should be LCB and Chilwell left full back and increasingly obvious it should be Silva that makes way. 
‘it’s just as obvious to every one except Poch that trying to get Enzo to be Mason mount is dumb. Enzo needs to be deeper. 

it’s really not that hard. Keep it simple. . 

7 minutes ago, ozboy said:

Hope springs eternal, and in this case it’s hope that poch is not as dumb as he seems and can learn from his mistakes. 

it’s obvious colwill  should be LCB and Chilwell left full back and increasingly obvious it should be Silva that makes way. 
‘it’s just as obvious to every one except Poch that trying to get Enzo to be Mason mount is dumb. Enzo needs to be deeper. 

Chilwell is way out of form, he’s looked nowhere near good enough.

Given how we are playing, our confidence being shot and both Fulham and Burnley likely to be move open sides, (and certainly everyone else will be for that run after internationals). I think Pochettino really has to consider changing our tactic, setting us up as a lowblock counter attacking side, home and away.

Sanchez

Gusto

Disasi

Silva

Colwill 

Lesley

James

Caicedo 

Enzo

Mudryk

Jackson

Fullback told not to cross the halfway line. Lesley only to sit, Caicedo, James and Enzo to harass and counter quickly out to Mudryk and Jackson.

4 hours ago, coco said:

Chilwell is way out of form, he’s looked nowhere near good enough.

True but that is largely due to Poch. Chilwell has never looked as bad as in these first games.

He should most games if he is fit and rested to find back his form. He is our best LB by far.

I understand the pessimism going into the game, but hopefully Villa having an away fixture on Thursday evening disrupts their schedule. They will go strong in the EL and then having to come to the Bridge a few days after will not be ideal. We have a whole week off. Hopefully Caicedo is back for this, even though I thought Ugo did well against Bournemouth and have Fernandez in natural position. Like I say, I am positive simply because we have a whole week to prepare now and Villa have Europe to contend with.

On 18/09/2023 at 10:30, ozboy said:

You've nailed it there. In basic terms - play players in their correct positions.

Also I hope Poch doesn't play so many defensive players for f**ks sake. Give Mudryk the full game too.

Sanchez

Chilly

Colwill

Disasi

Gusto

Enzo

Caicedo

Mudryk

Palmer

Sterling

Jackson

Enzo and Caicedo deep - Enzo dictating tempo and spraying passes, Caicedo breaking things up.

And give Mudryk 90 minutes this time for f**ks sake.

I just want to see structural improvements. With 7 days off we should be seeing a massive difference every match week but its been quite the opposite. 

Failure to get 3 points against a Villa side that will be preoccupied with a Thursday night European fixture, I really fear for what's to come. 

A bit off subject but when we played Villa at the Bridge in 1986/87 the programme was incorrectly dated and the date on it was 27 December 1968. If I can find the programme will post a photo.

Also off subject I think that a game against Villa was the last home match called off at the Bridge due to bad weather. Can't recall the year but remember being in the White Horse pub in Parsons Green when someone shouted out that the match had been called off.

1 hour ago, Boyne said:

A bit off subject but when we played Villa at the Bridge in 1986/87 the programme was incorrectly dated and the date on it was 27 December 1968. If I can find the programme will post a photo.

Also off subject I think that a game against Villa was the last home match called off at the Bridge due to bad weather. Can't recall the year but remember being in the White Horse pub in Parsons Green when someone shouted out that the match had been called off.

If I remember correctly the 86-87 game was an important win that started a recovery after we had found ourselves in the relegation zone following the successful seasons of 85 and 86. I am pretty sure Paul Elliott was playing for Villa that day too.