Gary Cahill - PL CL FAC LC EL champion

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Interesting article I found on Gary Cahill, a player who has escaped a lot of criticism this season despite having made many errors whilst Luiz has received lots of stick from many. I am still a fan of Cahill's but he has definitely regressed this season after showing a lot of progress up to about November.

http://thinkfootball.co.uk/archives/8028

Cahill has always been error prone. I've said this before, but it's always surprised me how Luiz is regarded as someone who makes too many mistakes and needs to be moved out of defense, but Cahill so often escapes blame for his gaffes. He's not JT's successor, he isn't fit to hold JT's jock. Not that Luiz is either, but at least he complements Terry better and has the potential to be world class. Cahill's a useful player to have because he does some things very well, but for my money he may be the most overrated player at Chelsea.

Cahill has always been error prone. I've said this before, but it's always surprised me how Luiz is regarded as someone who makes too many mistakes and needs to be moved out of defense, but Cahill so often escapes blame for his gaffes. He's not JT's successor, he isn't fit to hold JT's jock. Not that Luiz is either, but at least he complements Terry better and has the potential to be world class. Cahill's a useful player to have because he does some things very well, but for my money he may be the most overrated player at Chelsea.

totally agree, there's been many times when cahill has made errors that have led to goals, had it been luiz that had made them, he'd have been hung out to dry.

I still think luiz and terry is the best partnership we have, ivanovic has also been really poor this year.

id like to think that at least 1 of bruma, kalas or ake, will make the grade. All of them are more cultured centre backs with good pace, however none are as physically imposing as jt, cahill, or ivanovic.

totally agree, there's been many times when cahill has made errors that have led to goals, had it been luiz that had made them, he'd have been hung out to dry.

I still think luiz and terry is the best partnership we have, ivanovic has also been really poor this year.

id like to think that at least 1 of bruma, kalas or ake, will make the grade. All of them are more cultured centre backs with good pace, however none are as physically imposing as jt, cahill, or ivanovic.

I don't go out of my way to watch the Eredivisie, but I've really liked what I've seen from Kalas. Very versatile player and I'm thrilled that we've extended him until 2017. I can definitely see him at least making for a good squad player who can deputize in the middle or on the right. Bruma isn't lacking in talent either, but his loan at Hamburg hasn't worked out as well as one would hope. I wouldn't be surprised if Omeruo has surpassed him on the depth chart.

Cahill is an excellent young defender

Luiz is a brilliant footballer

The evidence ..... The Champions league final thats all !

what these young men need is guidance, not only by senior players but also a decent manager, I will add Ramires to that list.... that is exactly why I beleive Lamps and JT have roles at this club going forward. Jt had a brilliant mentor in Desailly and Lamps with Zola and Maka ... to my mind makes them the players they are today.

it is my belief that Cahill has suffered from our style of football at the moment yes but more from the prolonged absence of JT on the field

He is our 3rd best player in terms of average rating behind mata and hazard.I like Cahill and I was pleased when we signed him although I agree his mistakes don't get highlighted as much as Luiz for example.I remember the Utd game at home this season where he was at fault for RVP 2nd goal and was at fault for Ivanovic red card,RVP turned him too easily.

Have to agree with this I've not been impressed the past few months. He looks really slow and uncomfortable on the ball.

I think the goals he's scored have glossed over poor performances. I'm not sure him and JT will make a good pairing both too similar.

I agree.

Martin O'Neill did not think highly of him as he let him leave Villa for Bolton.

He was selected for England by Capello only as a replacement  for Lescott.

I would never rate Gary in the same class as John Terry, Sol Campbell, Tony Adams or Rio Ferdinand.

I disagree, recently he's been probably our best centre defender, was possibly the best player on the field in the game against Arsenal, both the goals conceded against Reading can't be attributed to him, and against Newcastle I thought JT was awful and Cahill was having to cover for him on numerous occasions.

One thing I will criticize is his passing game, numerous games this season he's been guilty of giving the ball right back to the opposition which has put us in danger.

I would love to know what everyone was expecting when we signed him. When Chelsea signed Cahill i never thought for a second he would go on to be a world class defender, a decent defender yes but never a world class one.

I always seen Cahill as back-up defender to Terry and Luiz. I think too many people thought he was going to be the next John Terry.

He hasn't been in the best form of late but what Chelsea defender has ? over all the Chelsea defenders this season, Cahill is the one i am least annoyed at, and maybe Azpilicueta. At least Cahill is still putting in the odd decent performance, i can't remember the last time the rest of them had a good game.

Cahill is an excellent young defender

Luiz is a brilliant footballer

The evidence ..... The Champions league final thats all !

what these young men need is guidance, not only by senior players but also a decent manager, I will add Ramires to that list.... that is exactly why I beleive Lamps and JT have roles at this club going forward. Jt had a brilliant mentor in Desailly and Lamps with Zola and Maka ... to my mind makes them the players they are today.

it is my belief that Cahill has suffered from our style of football at the moment yes but more from the prolonged absence of JT on the field

At 27 I would class Gary as 'young' anymore

*Wouldn't, even.

Edited by gibbo1990

I think the issue is the Cahill/Ivanovic CB partnership, which we have seen far too much of this past month or so. It clearly doesnt work and the players do not compliment each other mainly because both share the same 2 flaws, which are lack of pace and the ease in which they get turned.

Also worth highlighting just how much we have been missing centre backs who can bring the ball out and pick a pass - JT and DL are good at this whereas Cahill and Ivanovic have a tedency to just let rip and boot it aimlessly up the field (Ivanovic in particular)

I rate Cahill as a defender, he may not be of the very top quality but he still has a vaild place in our squad, its just i think he needs to play alongside the right player.

It would also help if he (and all our other defenders) got the right protection from the players ahead of him and that hasnt been happening for what seems like months now.

Edited by bjd

Guest RFC_CFC

Did I read he was a ' young defender' ? lol

He has been good at times and been poor at other just like the majority of all our starting 11 this season, he shouldnt be singled out although he shouldnt be exempt from critisism either.

Like people have said he is nowhere near John's level or ever will be from what I have seen but then who is? He was a cheap solid centre half who scores a few goals during a long hard season, one of out better peieces of buisness IMO.

We all need to improve, every single player bar maybe Mata.

At 27 I would class Gary as 'young' anymore

*Wouldn't, even.

Yeah 27 is young when your mid forty's  :-)

I didnt realsie he was that age, as a central defender I think he should be at his prime then or reaching it very soon.

My main point still holds I think he is very good. consdier what he did last year in the champions league after coming from Bolton.