Random Rumours

Money
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

I think it's only if we can't get Haaland, I'm not even sure the board or Thomas want him. Personally I would say we would take him on a loan if no better targets are available. See if we can organise a wage cut, because there's no way he's on €500k over here a week. 

1 hour ago, LongtimerLurker said:

I think it's only if we can't get Haaland, I'm not even sure the board or Thomas want him. Personally I would say we would take him on a loan if no better targets are available. See if we can organise a wage cut, because there's no way he's on €500k over here a week. 

I thought these players went to likes of Barcelona and Real Madrid because it was their boyhood dreams to play for these clubs. Nothing to do with the €500k a week here or Bale's £600k a week at RM. So I would suspect none of these players would even contemplate moving away as it is all about the love of the game and their boyhood dreams, rather than anything to do with money. I am sure the likes of Griezmann would probably drop their salaries in order to help out the clubs that they have always dreamed of playing for. And if Barca are in such perilous trouble financially why are they still allowed to sign players?

13 minutes ago, WhiteWall said:

I thought these players went to likes of Barcelona and Real Madrid because it was their boyhood dreams to play for these clubs. Nothing to do with the €500k a week here or Bale's £600k a week at RM. So I would suspect none of these players would even contemplate moving away as it is all about the love of the game and their boyhood dreams, rather than anything to do with money. I am sure the likes of Griezmann would probably drop their salaries in order to help out the clubs that they have always dreamed of playing for. And if Barca are in such perilous trouble financially why are they still allowed to sign players?

Helps when your boyhood dream also comes with 500k a week!

https://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/chelsea-fc-transfer-rumours-news/2021/7/8/22567597/west-bromwich-albion-in-talks-to-sign-chelsea-midfielder-trevoh-chalobah-reports

Rumour of one heading out, Trevor Chalobah. 22 now, if we are not looking at giving him a go then hopefully WBA prove a good home and we get a good fee for him.

21 hours ago, coombsie said:

I've been thinking about Griezmann too. Barcelona are in complete meltdown. They are 1 BILLION Euros in debt, 750million of which is due IMMEDIATELY. They have to sell to survive and will be getting desperate soon. They also have to sell 3 or 4 top earners to comply with La Liga's salary cap, which they breached again last season. Then they can only spend a fixed percentage of the net revenues.

Griezmann is obviously quality, but I'm not sure if he would fit with the style and set up at Chelsea. Time will tell I guess.

Barcelona have refinanced their debt. The only albatross remaining around their neck is the wage bill and salary cap imposed by the league but this is huge because La Liga have publically confirmed they will not negiotiate any special circumstances for Barcelona. Adding to that is the current trouble they are in with Rakuten and their Asian sponsors threatening sanctions due to Griezmann and Dembele's nonsense.

What is really interesting is that they are only allowed to spend a max of 25% of any transfer value, meaning that if they sell a player for 100m, they must reinvest at least 75m into repaying the wage debt. It's effectively banning them from paying transfer fees this season.

Right now they can't register Sergio Aguero, Memphis Depay, Eric Garcia or Lionel Messi until they free up 200m on their wage bill. A firesale at Barcelona is inevtiable, but the reality the are refusing to accept is that the longer they wait the less leverage they have.

8 hours ago, SydneyChelsea said:

Barcelona have refinanced their debt. The only albatross remaining around their neck is the wage bill and salary cap imposed by the league but this is huge because La Liga have publically confirmed they will not negiotiate any special circumstances for Barcelona. Adding to that is the current trouble they are in with Rakuten and their Asian sponsors threatening sanctions due to Griezmann and Dembele's nonsense.

What is really interesting is that they are only allowed to spend a max of 25% of any transfer value, meaning that if they sell a player for 100m, they must reinvest at least 75m into repaying the wage debt. It's effectively banning them from paying transfer fees this season.

Right now they can't register Sergio Aguero, Memphis Depay, Eric Garcia or Lionel Messi until they free up 200m on their wage bill. A firesale at Barcelona is inevtiable, but the reality the are refusing to accept is that the longer they wait the less leverage they have.

I'm thorn... On one hand I reaaaaally want to help them and get Pedri, De Jong, Fati off their books, on the other I just wish no club come close to their fringe players and get them completely ruined whether that means lots of points deduction or financial struggles. Més que un club... Go figure 😏

9 hours ago, SydneyChelsea said:

Thank you for the clarification Sydney, that was a very helpful summary.

9 hours ago, SydneyChelsea said:

La Liga have publically confirmed they will not negiotiate any special circumstances for Barcelona. Adding to that is the current trouble they are in with Rakuten and their Asian sponsors threatening sanctions due to Griezmann and Dembele's nonsense.

I have zero doubt that La Liga is just talking hardball here. We all know that they will eventually cave and work with them because of the revenue Barca bring in for the entire league. 

the real threat is if the sponsors start pulling back. 

I’m pretty sure, the way Barca have been ran the last few seasons, just paying whatever amount of money a club wants for a player…  they’re pretending they’re playing fifa 

Edited by chiefBlueCFC

On 08/07/2021 at 22:54, chiefBlueCFC said:

I have zero doubt that La Liga is just talking hardball here. We all know that they will eventually cave and work with them because of the revenue Barca bring in for the entire league. 

the real threat is if the sponsors start pulling back. 

I’m pretty sure, the way Barca have been ran the last few seasons, just paying whatever amount of money a club wants for a player…  they’re pretending they’re playing fifa 

Normally I'd agree here but I think this time is different. La Liga need Barcelona to be financially competitive more than they need Barcelona to be sporting competitive. Essentially they're saying they're not seeing a return on their 'investment' aka media rights paid to Barcelona, and too much is being spent on Messi. 

It's also worth pointing out that Javier Tebas (head of La Liga) is persona non grata in Catalonia. A self-proclaimed Real Madrid fan who believes that Barcelona and Espanyol should be kicked out of La Liga should Catalonia ever secede from Spain and a far-right populist politically. Barcelona will go full conspiracy/siege mentality if they need to.