Nathaniel Chalobah

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

1 minute ago, TheChelseaBlues said:

He was under contract, we offered him a new one, he rejected it and was sold. 

Correct. Sold for 5m before he could leave for nothing. If we had managed to put him on a new deal then put him back in the shop window, he'd have fetched a lot more in a year or two. Ake went for 20m was it after a decent stint at Bournemouth?

3 minutes ago, Blue Exile said:

Correct. Sold for 5m before he could leave for nothing. If we had managed to put him on a new deal then put him back in the shop window, he'd have fetched a lot more in a year or two. Ake went for 20m was it after a decent stint at Bournemouth?

I don't think the goal was to loan him out after giving him a new contract. We got a fee for him anyway. Maybe it was and if so he was right in turning us down. Hopefully it was intended to convince him to stay albeit for less game time than he'll get at Watford. 

It's quite cynical of us if we're extending contracts in the hopes we can squeeze an extra couple of million in 2 years time. Then again, we did just extend Piazon

Just now, TheChelseaBlues said:

I don't think the goal was to loan him out after giving him a new contract. We got a fee for him anyway. Maybe it was and if so he was right in turning us down. Hopefully it was intended to convince him to stay albeit for less game time than he'll get at Watford. 

It's quite cynical of us if we're extending contracts in the hopes we can squeeze an extra couple of million in 2 years time. Then again, we did just extend Piazon

It's not cynical really, it's just business. The club will try and make as much money as possible - or they develop a player who can contribute to our first team long term, although history tells us that is unlikely.

The player always has the option and is in control of his own destiny at the end of the day. I don't blame him for moving on either.

1 hour ago, jack h said:

No that's not right at all, Napoli brought Chalobah in as cover and that's how he was used. Why would they bring him into their first team and develop him for us? That's our job!

And he was barely even cover played like what ten times, imagine if we signed a player of that profile? There would be a meltdown but because he's an academy bboy he's apparently this super amazing player that can't show his level because of our coaching? Umm yeah ok then.

You ask why would Napoli bring him into their first team? Umm well if he is as good as Bakayoko he would have been brought into the first team, on the basis of being good enough.

2 hours ago, Argo said:

And he was barely even cover played like what ten times, imagine if we signed a player of that profile? There would be a meltdown but because he's an academy bboy he's apparently this super amazing player that can't show his level because of our coaching? Umm yeah ok then.

You ask why would Napoli bring him into their first team? Umm well if he is as good as Bakayoko he would have been brought into the first team, on the basis of being good enough.

The only way Napoli were going to bring him into the first team is if there were injuries or in europa league games that no one cares about... hence the ten or so games. It's a million miles from a situation like Ake at Bournemouth where he's clearly better than their first teamers. He was backup and the only chance he had to be more than that was if there was injuries, it would be the same for any other promising young player going there unless they're clearly better than what it already at the club.

And actually no one is blaming the coaching for the reason youth players aren't progressing, quite the opposite actually. Our youth set up is second to none in this country, the coaching is clearly fantastic. It is our total inability to intergrate those players into the first team and to give them the decent playing time that ANY proffesional footballer needs to have once they have proven good enough at the lower levels, you cannot seriously deny that we have that problem.

59 minutes ago, jack h said:

The only way Napoli were going to bring him into the first team is if there were injuries or in europa league games that no one cares about... hence the ten or so games. It's a million miles from a situation like Ake at Bournemouth where he's clearly better than their first teamers. He was backup and the only chance he had to be more than that was if there was injuries, it would be the same for any other promising young player going there unless they're clearly better than what it already at the club.

And actually no one is blaming the coaching for the reason youth players aren't progressing, quite the opposite actually. Our youth set up is second to none in this country, the coaching is clearly fantastic. It is our total inability to intergrate those players into the first team and to give them the decent playing time that ANY proffesional footballer needs to have once they have proven good enough at the lower levels, you cannot seriously deny that we have that problem.

Well i wouldn't say Andreas was significantly better than what Gladbach had but he broke through due to being the required quality to play in the side. Football is all about the hear and now and if Nate was upto the standard of Napoli he would have made significantly more appearance's than 9, that suggest's he just simply didn't cut it.

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

Well, until now Watford are playing great under Marco Silva. Still, haven't watched a full game of them, but I've read some reports, highlights and visited their forum few times. Doucoure and Chalobah seem like their best players and they're one of the reasons that Watford is looking so good. 

Some of their fans can't believe that they've got Chalobah only for 5m, some of them don't believe we gave up on him. Chalobah looks very good with Watford.

On 09/09/2017 at 22:38, IliyaKrostin said:

Well, until now Watford are playing great under Marco Silva. Still, haven't watched a full game of them, but I've read some reports, highlights and visited their forum few times. Doucoure and Chalobah seem like their best players and they're one of the reasons that Watford is looking so good. 

Some of their fans can't believe that they've got Chalobah only for 5m, some of them don't believe we gave up on him. Chalobah looks very good with Watford.

I thought he looked very good for us at times last season too. I was even hoping for him to start ahead of Matic in a lot of games.

3 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

I thought he looked very good for us at times last season too. I was even hoping for him to start ahead of Matic in a lot of games.

This being a world cup year is probably one of the reasons he's no longer here. 

He must've fancied his chances of getting into the squad if he played week in and week out. 

Does the club have a buy-back clause, does anyone know?

Edited by Sun zhi

4 hours ago, Sun zhi said:

He must've fancied his chances of getting into the squad if he played week in and week out. 

I bet every English CM fancies a crack at Jake Livermore's place in the England squad, ultimately I think it will go to Drinkwater as England usually choose players based on transfer fee and club prestige over anything else.

I don't think we have a buy back clause for Chalobah, he had one year left I think so we had no grounds to make demands.

18 hours ago, Sun zhi said:

He was literally told by Southgate he would get in the team if he moved

We didn't give up on him. He gave up on us (for now) and who can blame him? Saw a tweet from Simon Johnson some weeks after the transfer saying we did in fact insert a buy back clause though so who knows how that could play out.

1 hour ago, Barrettinator said:
On 9/9/2017 at 16:38, IliyaKrostin said:

We didn't give up on him. He gave up on us (for now) and who can blame him? Saw a tweet from Simon Johnson some weeks after the transfer saying we did in fact insert a buy back clause though so who knows how that could play out.

5m makes alot more sense if there's a buyback.