Who are the new 'indispensables'?

Jonty

For the last decade or so, you could say that the likes of Cech, Terry, Lampard, Drogba, Cole and perhaps in his prime Essien were players that regardless of whether crazy money was offered, the team could simply not afford to let slip because regardless of the pile of money we received, there was simply no-one to spend it on that could come in and make the team better. They're the kind of players that if a club sold, they could well and truly be regarded as a selling team (such as Arsenal selling Fabregas, Nasri and Van Persie).

With those players' careers winding down, and with the recent sales of Mata and Luiz who were perhaps considered at a time the new 'spine' of a team, who are the players in the current squad you feel simply couldn't be sold regardless of the money being offered?

Or do you think that anyone and everyone is replaceable with enough funds in the squad, even ignoring the disruptive effect it would have on the dressing room? I ask this question because already there are silly rumours of us being offered a truck load of cash for Hazard and even though I very much doubt anything will come of it this year, there will perhaps be a time in the future, specifically around the time that Cristiano Ronaldo is winding down, that a certain Spanish team may come with the world's largest transfer fee in hunt of our star man.

So who do you feel is indispensable? 

In my opinion, Courtois, Cahill, Dave, Matic and Hazard are the players that right now we couldn't possibly improve on regardless of the money we were given, and for that reason I wouldn't in any circumstances consider their sale a good move.

To be fair there are better defenders than Cahill about, Also you can better Hazard, His consistency is poor

Id really like to hear how we can improve on Hazard.

Like, buy Bale or Ronaldo?

I would say Cahill Azpilicueta and Matic, I can't add Hazard as beforementioned, he does lack consistency, based on last season Terry is still an indispensable player, Lamps is winding down to a role player and even though Courtois is one, it's hard to say his name here because he hasn't actually played for us yet.

The team is just not that mature and you can't really talk about indispensables right now. There are some very solid positions, already mentioned by the posters here, but I don't think any if them are at the indispensable stage - for various reasons, too young, too old etc. What I think we have is definite short and long term potential, Azpilicueta, Matic, Kalas, MvG, Oscar, Hazard (although he may turn out to be a Robben), Willian. I don't mention the older players as they have already matured and are playing at their peak.

Can't imagine Cahill being part of this spine. By the time terry retires he'll be what, 30?  Our old spine had been with us 8 years (drogba), and then 13 (lampard), with terry and cech still here. I can't imagine Cahill being there for that long. 

Courtois -- Cesar Azpilicueta (doesn't have to be a CB) -- Matic -- Hazard 

Courtois, Dave, Matic, Hazard

How can you say Courtois is an untouchable when he hasnt played a single game for us. That like saying Messi, Ronaldo and Bale are all untouchables for us. I know its slightly different as for the moment we still own Courtois but to say a player who has never kicked a ball for us is an untouchable in our team is being a bit silly imo.

Terry, Cahill, Dave, Matic and probably Cech

For me thats the only week in week out performers. The rest are up and down.

Maybe next season will be different...

I cant argue with that at all. Spot on Zola. Cech is the best goal keeper in the current sqaud so is untouchable. JT and Cahill are the best centre backs we have so that includes them. Dave and Brana are the best fall backs we have so that includes them and Matic is by far the best Midfielder we have.

As for the rest none of them have played well enough week in week out to be classed as untouchable for me. Even Hazard. He can be amazing and then the next week he can be just ok.

In my honest opinion I think Willain is closer to being an untouchable than Hazard is. Hazard can be a better player but he doesnt play at his best all the time.

I agree that Hazard isn't untouchable yet. But if his performance increases and becomes more consistent then he will undoubtedly be one of the first names on the team sheet.

Agree with previous post about Willian too, if he just improved his finishing then is game would step up dramatically.

I agree that Hazard isn't untouchable yet. But if his performance increases and becomes more consistent then he will undoubtedly be one of the first names on the team sheet.

Agree with previous post about Willian too, if he just improved his finishing then is game would step up dramatically.

I disagree he is clearly our most dangerous and creative player, sometimes when he's not playing i wonder who will create for us. The guy along with Nasri created more chances than any other player in the league.

Archived