Diego "the guv'nor" Costa

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Stopped reading after first few pars...Harry clearly forgets that for most of last season, every season really, Jose was raging about decisions and a campaign against cfc...this season is no different on that score...also seem to remember seeing Redknapp saying Costa shouldn't be banned etc so he agrees we have a right to be pissed off...seems to make it up as he goes along...talk about rent-a-gob

Edited by The Brit

Just read this on the Mirror site, by talkSH!TE contributor - and devoted Arsenal fan - John Cross:

Arsenal also took a dossier into Gabriel’s hearing which included his other misdemeanours from Stamford Bridge to show what he’d done wrong, basically to put forward mitigating circumstances.

His waving of an imaginary card towards Francis Coquelinsmashing Laurent Koscielny in the face, tangling with Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain.

So his card was rescinded because of incidents involving a different player (who was himself photographed with his hands around Costa's neck) and another player who wasn't even on the field at the time of the red card, neither of which had anything to do with the Gabriel incident.

Then, the biggest thing of all, a video clip shot by ESPN Brazil that proved Gabriel’s kick made no contact with Costa at all.

That was what swung the FA panel, was it? So a kick has to make contact to be an offence now, does it? Not in the FA law book, where 'attempt to kick' is also mentioned as serious foul play. But why should a football journalist or a panel of ex-refs be expected to know that?

Costa, you might remember, reacted over dramatically, complained to Mike Riley (who couldn’t have seen it, it now transpires) and got Gabriel sent off.

Forget this intent argument. If it was your player and he was sent off after another player faked it, would you think that’s fair? Of course not. Was it violent? Of course not. The FA got it 100 per cent right.

By 'overdramatically', you mean he a) didn't retaliate and b) didn't throw himself to the floor.

And no, Mike Riley could not have seen it because he wasn't actually refereeing the game, was he? 

So overturning a decision taken jointly by a ref and his assistant who correctly applied the FA's own rules is 100% right.

The world isn’t against Chelsea. If you smash someone in the face, expect to get done for it.

I won't even mention that Gabriel shouldn't even have started the game because he should have been under a 3-match ban for striking Arnautovic (http://gfycat.com/Me...entDeinonychus#) but the FA mysteriously decided not to charge him for that. I won't mention it because a biased Arsenal-supporting journalist clearly doesn't think it's relevant.

Our press is just shameful.

Edited by Backbiter

John Cross is a disgusting human. I remember him gleefully talking about how Mourinho would crash and burn before he came back to Chelsea, and was laughing and joking about how quickly he might be sacked. Don't understand how such biased journalists are allowed to work in what is supposed to be unbiased media outlets. Surely he should be chief editor of the Arse fanzine or something?

If Costa is an Arsenal player, everyone will love him, Wenger will ignore all the 'dark arts' and hail him as a Saint.

If Costa applied for a British passport, he would be hailed as a national hero, probably made Captain. I mean, if he also plays for Arsenal or United.

Or Liverpool... I vaguely remember they had a controversial striker once, but he was generally considered a great player. i think the line most often used was "the sort of player you'd love to have in your team, but hate to play against". Which if you look closely, is very different from the way costa is described, which is normally by using the word "disgrace"

And yet... only one of these two has ever bitten another human being on a football pitch (i dont know about costa's private life, he may be a biter). Tell me which one is a disgrace? I know for a fact id rather be pushed in the face than bitten

I think we might be guilty of remembering the headlines that are convenient to us to be honest.

There was a furious outpouring of rage after the various Suarez incidents, Cristiano Ronaldo was lambasted by the media for his perceived diving (and particularly after 'wink-gate') although it was conveniently forgotten as soon as he became world class. Even public darling David Beckham received no end of grief after his kick on Diego Simeone during World Cup 98.

Not to say that the media/public aren't guilty of comic overreactions to relatively minor incidents, but I don't think it's exclusive to Chelsea by any means.

The whole affair's pretty laughable, really.

The media have jumped all over it because the majority of their 'pundits' don't have anything worthwhile to say, and it's a cheap and easy way to sell papers, creating scandal.

The masses go with the media, and the FA will always bow to the masses to keep the spotlight off them, they've shown time and time again that they're willing to bend and ignore their own rules to achieve this.

Basically, the media probably have more influence on the FA than any of its committee members. And because we're the media's favourite club to target right now (for whatever reason you like), we typically end up with a decent bias against us.

Yet, for all of the attempts, the bubble still hasn't burst, and the success continues. To be honest, it just makes it all the sweeter!

John Southall the BBC journo who attended today's presser:

"Jose Mourinho was unwilling to speak about Diego Costa  because of recriminations that may come the manager's way, but was clearly angry that they haven't received the written explanation before the first game of the striker's ban."

Crazy that written reason for retrospective ban hasn't been supplied, the ban will have almost been served by the time the club gets it 

That can't be right can it? 

Arsene Wenger was very clever. As he hasn't been relevant in about a decade now; to detract the attention away from his humiliation record against the mighty, he simply uses the gullible mouth breathing mutants in the media to cover his tracks.

I actually don't mind this as it keeps him in a job longer. With the squad and finances they have, they should be a danger to the top teams. With Wenger in charge, they will amount to nothing for eternity. Absolute diddies with no chance of winning anything major and he's to blame. Using the media is his way out and Arsenal fans are too chronically stupid to see what he's upto.

Edited by MayosNoun