Alex Sandro

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

If true why have we waited this long to bid 80M Euros? Had we bid that much in the first month of the window this deal would have been tied up long ago. Instead we do our usual thing of pissing about until the selling club has no time to replace them and won't sell. 

38 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

If true why have we waited this long to bid 80M Euros? Had we bid that much in the first month of the window this deal would have been tied up long ago. Instead we do our usual thing of pissing about until the selling club has no time to replace them and won't sell. 

Not necessarily, they might have thought we had money for days and hung out of another 40 which would have been a ludicrous sum.  This late tells them that we don't have time for a bidding war so if they want the money then here it is.  Your last part is true as well though about it often being difficult for the selling club to replace, however Juve have a much bigger pulling power in their own country than we do ours.  They could lose a left back and pick up the next best serie a/italian left back fairly comfortably.  I don't think we piss about.  We'd made a lot of deals this summer, whether we all agree or disagree.. we've been very active.

50 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Why didn't we give them Matic... it's funny how Roman or the board seem to care more about keeping our players happy (letting them stay in the prem and go to rivals) then actually keeping a great manager who we are lucky to have happy 

We still trying for this pie in the sky transfer? Come on Chelsea let's try for some realistic targets.

Considering the fact that Alaba is a better player, if we had made all this efforts for Alaba, Bayern would have sell him to us or Juventus would have think twice about Sandro and take the opportunity to sell him for 60m because there is the possibility that they might never get the opportunity again to sell a 27 or 28 year old defender for a fee that high. Even Bonucci who everyone rates as the best CB in the world was sold for less than 40m.
So I think the reason why they haven't sold Sandro to us is because they know Conte desperately needs a LWB and the only one we have been seriously linked with is Sandro. So they are willing to play the waiting game till the end of the transfer when we will have no choice than pay over the odds to get him.

Not necessarily, they might have thought we had money for days and hung out of another 40 which would have been a ludicrous sum.  This late tells them that we don't have time for a bidding war so if they want the money then here it is.  Your last part is true as well though about it often being difficult for the selling club to replace, however Juve have a much bigger pulling power in their own country than we do ours.  They could lose a left back and pick up the next best serie a/italian left back fairly comfortably.  I don't think we piss about.  We'd made a lot of deals this summer, whether we all agree or disagree.. we've been very active.

I think making a bid for another top LWB even if Sandro is Conte's only choice would have prompted them to sell. That will send the message that we have other alternatives aside Sandro. But now they know we will try to sign him on the last hour of the transfer window for 75 or 80m which is bad for a 27 year old defender.

1 hour ago, Van Butsen said:

We'd made a lot of deals this summer, whether we all agree or disagree.. we've been very active.

Actively selling you mean? I'm starting to think that the loan deals are hindering the negotiating team from focusing on players that could be signed for the starting 11

1 hour ago, wallosh said:

Considering the fact that Alaba is a better player, if we had made all this efforts for Alaba, Bayern would have sell him to us or Juventus would have think twice about Sandro and take the opportunity to sell him for 60m because there is the possibility that they might never get the opportunity again to sell a 27 or 28 year old defender for a fee that high. Even Bonucci who everyone rates as the best CB in the world was sold for less than 40m.
So I think the reason why they haven't sold Sandro to us is because they know Conte desperately needs a LWB and the only one we have been seriously linked with is Sandro. So they are willing to play the waiting game till the end of the transfer when we will have no choice than pay over the odds to get him.

Bonucci wanted out and forced through a transfer. Big difference

18 minutes ago, Deino said:

Actively selling you mean? I'm starting to think that the loan deals are hindering the negotiating team from focusing on players that could be signed for the starting 11

Bakayoko, Morata and Rudiger is an awesome window, there is no denying that.  Two of those players are hot property and big game/CL experience.

Everyone's been calling for local loans or to move youth on if they aren't getting a chance, so we played that card and got RLC a prem loan and sold Chal and Ake.  We've recalled and played some youth too, which hasn't been the norm in recent years (Christensen, Musonda, Boga).

We've also sold Matic who has been in decline for 2 years now to a team that didn't benefit when we sold our then best player.

So yeah, we been active as f*ck!

You have an excellent point but it doesn't fix our current situation. It really is the closest thing of 'squad overhaul' if you put the numbers there.

Every summer we have the 'massive exodus' or 'squad overhaul'-thread and it has never materialized.

10 minutes ago, Van Butsen said:

Bakayoko, Morata and Rudiger is an awesome window, there is no denying that.  Two of those players are hot property and big game/CL experience.

Everyone's been calling for local loans or to move youth on if they aren't getting a chance, so we played that card and got RLC a prem loan and sold Chal and Ake.  We've recalled and played some youth too, which hasn't been the norm in recent years (Christensen, Musonda, Boga).

We've also sold Matic who has been in decline for 2 years now to a team that didn't benefit when we sold our then best player.

All this can be interpreted differently though. 

Rudiger was bought because we couldn't get our hands on Bonucci and Morata because the board failed with Lukaku. Whilst i agree they have all been good signings in quality, the quantity still isn't there.

Boga and Musonda have only been kept around due to the lack of numbers and when Hazard is back fit with Pedro i doubt either will get many minutes at all. 

Matic has been in decline for us but has strengthened Utd considerably. 

I don't see how you can look at this window and say its been active for the right reasons when we're in a much worse position than the end of last season. 

2 hours ago, Brutos said:

I thought that club moved on from this already jeez let it go, if and it's a BIG IF we sign this guy it will be him handing in a transfer request and we signing him on the last Day of the window

conte wants him to hand in a transfer request apparently according to this article. 

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/chelsea-hope-to-complete-signings-of-alex-sandro-alex-oxladechamberlain-and-danny-drinkwater-a3611971.html

Forgot to mention Costa as well, obviously that is a huge huge loss and a sh*tty situation, regardless of where fault lies.

Without injury, we look like.

Courtouis
Dave - Luiz - Cahill
Moses - Kante - Bakayoko - Alonso
Hazard - Morata - Pedro

Caba
Rudiger
Christenseon
Fabregas
Willian
Musonda
Bats

So yes I don't deny we are a little thin right now, but that's heightened by some sh*t injuries and suspensions early.  I still think that in enviable and capable!  Every team would be feeling the hurt if 4 starters were unavailable!

14 minutes ago, Van Butsen said:

Buying 3 good players is an active window but not a productive one when you have sold or loaned twice as meany as you have brought in, 3 in, Terry, matic, Diego, chalobah, ake, solanke  oscar in Jan, have or are being sold, so yea it's been an active counter productive window 

2 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

All this can be interpreted differently though. 

Rudiger was bought because we couldn't get our hands on Bonucci and Morata because the board failed with Lukaku. Whilst i agree they have all been good signings in quality, the quantity still isn't there.

Boga and Musonda have only been kept around due to the lack of numbers and when Hazard is back fit with Pedro i doubt either will get many minutes at all. 

Matic has been in decline for us but has strengthened Utd considerably. 

I don't see how you can look at this window and say its been active for the right reasons when we're in a much worse position than the end of last season. 

I agree it can be interpreted  differently, I guess I'm trying to highlight the shi*t storm people were brewing last year when we bought Luiz and Alonso and thought we couldn't challenge.

2 minutes ago, DonAntonio said:

Buying 3 good players is an active window but not a productive one when you have sold or loaned twice as meany as you have brought in, 3 in, Terry, matic, Diego, chalobah, ake, solanke  oscar in Jan, have or are being sold, so yea it's been an active counter productive window 

Diego is easily the toughest to lose and in an ideal world we would still have him and Morata.

However the rest I think have been adequately replaced (in my mind, could be wrong, we'll see how it pans out).

I refuse to let Oscar and Matic be talked about now like they weren't well below their best (and I was a huge fan of both).

Edited by Van Butsen

6 minutes ago, Van Butsen said:

Diego is easily the toughest to lose and in an ideal world we would still have him and Morata.

However the rest I think have been adequately replaced (in my mind, could be wrong, we'll see how it pans out).

I refuse to let Oscar and Matic be talked about now like they weren't well below their best (and I was a huge fan of both).

We didn't have Europe last year and were tired towards the end of the season...we don't have enough players 

7 hours ago, DonAntonio said:

Only 2 of those were starters last season added to that we have also sold players like Cuadrado and Atsu but has selling players like Solanke, Cuadrado, Begovic, Traore or Atsu really weakened us.

Atm the only position we have 'weakened' is CM by not replacing Chalobah.

LWB and RWB are as weak as they were last season.

Arguably by replacing Terry and Ake with Rudiger and Christensen we have strengthened CB.

We have improved the harmony of the team and potentially improved the starting 11 by replacing Costa with Morata and have improved depth by replacing Solanke with Remy.

And arguably again improved the starting 11 by replacing Matic with Bakayoko. 

Yes its sh*t that we are missing some key men at the start of the season and we don't have our full strength 11 to rely on but if we sign another CM let alone actually signing another WB we have had a very productive transfer widow. Obviously and annoyingly we could have easily kept a loanee (MvG, Pasalic or even Baker), or I suppose an unhappy Chalobah, until we had brought someone in and we wouldn't be in quite the predicament. 

But that said arguably its the loans we have organised for our players that could yet prove to be our best pieces of business we have made all summer or even in summers gone. 5 players in desperate need of senior minutes (Zouma for rehabilitation purposes), which I might add would not have received an acceptable amount let alone enough minutes to develop had they stayed (Even Zouma who despite all our absentees still wouldn't be in line to start against spurs). Started the first game of the premier league season. Which they wouldn't have been able to do had they been loaned later in the window. A good case to highlight why sorting out a loan as early as possible is extremely important is Ake last season, it took him an age and if I remember an injury crisis to get into Bournemouth's starting 11 despite being their best CB because he joined late and wasn't able to get a decent opportunity to impress the manager, which pre season freindlies are great for.

Further i quite like having a small squad as it allows players like Christensen, Boga, Musonda and heck even potentially Scott and Tomori to get first team exposure which if you look at Rashford or more recently Kyle Walker-Peters can potentially create a career. 

Edited by PedroMendez

19 minutes ago, PedroMendez said:

Only 2 of those were starters last season added to that we have also sold players like Cuadrado and Atsu but has selling players like Solanke, Cuadrado, Begovic, Traore or Atsu really weakened us.

Atm the only position we have 'weakened' is CM by not replacing Chalobah.

LWB and RWB are as weak as they were last season.

Arguably by replacing Terry and Ake with Rudiger and Christensen we have strengthened CB.

We have improved the harmony of the team and potentially improved the starting 11 by replacing Costa with Morata and have improved depth by replacing Solanke with Remy.

And arguably again improved the starting 11 by replacing Matic with Bakayoko. 

Yes its sh*t that we are missing some key men at the start of the season and we don't have our full strength 11 to rely on but if we sign another CM let alone actually signing another WB we have had a very productive transfer widow. Obviously and annoyingly we could have easily kept a loanee (MvG, Pasalic or even Baker), or I suppose an unhappy Chalobah, until we had brought someone in and we wouldn't be in quite the predicament. 

But that said arguably its the loans we have organised for our players that could yet prove to be our best pieces of business we have made all summer or even in summers gone. 5 players in desperate need of senior minutes (Zouma for rehabilitation purposes), which I might add would not have received an acceptable amount let alone enough minutes to develop had they stayed (Even Zouma who despite all our absentees still wouldn't be in line to start against spurs). Started the first game of the premier league season. Which they wouldn't have been able to do had they been loaned later in the window. A good case to highlight why sorting out a loan as early as possible is extremely important is Ake last season, it took him an age and if I remember an injury crisis to get into Bournemouth's starting 11 despite being their best CB because he joined late and wasn't able to get a decent opportunity to impress the manager, which pre season freindlies are great for.

Further i quite like having a small squad as it allows players like Christensen, Boga, Musonda and heck even potentially Scott and Tomori to get first team exposure which if you look at Rashford or more recently Kyle Walker-Peters can potentially create a career. 

Good points but we were lucky last season with injuries and Conte would also need to be given time to see these loanees return and flourish next season...the history of Chelsea is not littered with managers who have been given this time...