Christian Pulisic - Official

I am still going to support the player despite what people may think of him. However, he turned 20 a few months ago. He's still young, still raw, but I really hope that this isn't at the expense of Hudson-Odoi or worse, Hazard. Marina isn't a football person, I think we all know that, but what she is, is a fantastic businesswoman. She is a great negotiator and I am positive she will have something up her sleeve for this deal and future deals this month. Maybe she/the board have looked at the books, realised they can afford to splurge a little and Pulisic is one of a few players incoming. Pulisic is a signing for next season though, not this season. Any money made this season will go towards that signing I am sure. 

22 minutes ago, erskblue said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46734487

Christian Pulisic: Chelsea sign Borussia Dortmund forward for £58m

Chelsea have signed Borussia Dortmund forward Christian Pulisic for 64m euros (£58m), but will loan him back to the German club until the end of the season.

The 20-year-old United States international, who was linked with Liverpool and Arsenal, joined Dortmund as a youth player in 2015.

Pulisic has scored nine goals in 23 games for the US.

"It's a privilege to have signed for such a legendary club," he said.

Dortmund director Michael Zorc said: "It was always Christian's dream to play in the Premier League.

"That certainly has to do with his American background, and as a result we were unable to extend his contract.

"Against this background, we have decided to accept an extremely lucrative bid by Chelsea, given the low contract maturity."

Pulisic's contract at Dortmund was due to expire in June 2020.

He made his Bundesliga debut, aged 17, in January 2016, and two months later won his first USA cap.

Pulisic has made 81 appearances in the German top flight and played 20 games in the Champions League.

He has scored three goals in 18 appearances in all competitions for Dortmund this season.

Chelsea director Marina Granovskaia described Pulisic as "one of Europe's most sought-after young players".

"At just 20, we believe he has the potential to become an important Chelsea player for many years to come," she said.

Pulisic is the first major Premier League signing since the transfer window opened on 1 January.

Even Dortmund know we've overpaid for him ffs.

It seems everyone is quick to criticise the board for not getting big deals done early, and for not planning for the future. We have managed to tie up a highly rated player for next season already, he may not be every fans first choice, but there is no doubting he is a very good player for his age, and has the potential to excel under sarri. 

His output isn't particularly impressive, but I think it's important to remember just how young he is.

I've seen this can thorgan mentioned as an alternative, but what numbers had he put up at 20? What level was he playing at? How many of his goals are penalties? Perhaps most importantly, does he even fit into our system? 

I'm pretty excited anyway, our last 4 signings have now been Pulisic, Kovacic, Kepa, Jorginho. That to me is a massive improvement in the recruitment department, compared to what has gone in the 2 years prior.

Interesting signing, as much as people will debate about it, good to see Roman is willing to spend money. The media just loves to put dirt on us, we sign a player it's a sign Hazard will leave, if we don't sign anyone, Hazard will leave because we aren't ambitious. Yes, we overpaid, same people complained when we refused to over bid for players, so people will complain either way.

Edited by icecoolguy22

Welcome Pulisic! Just watched a documentary of him yesterday. Seems a level-headed. I think he is a real deal and can be important for us in the future. 
I hope he ends up being more of a player than an advertisement to US fans. Both aspects here are important. 

Nice documentary

Whether we've overpaid or not, I am sure Marina and the board believe they can make that money back from sales of unwanted players and also the marketing strategy. He is an American, Americans come to England to watch football and buy merch, so having Pulisic will bring in the money. Is it right to go after a player for commercial value? No, but that's how football is now. 

3 minutes ago, enigma said:

I am still going to support the player despite what people may think of him. However, he turned 20 a few months ago. He's still young, still raw, but I really hope that this isn't at the expense of Hudson-Odoi or worse, Hazard. Marina isn't a football person, I think we all know that, but what she is, is a fantastic businesswoman. She is a great negotiator and I am positive she will have something up her sleeve for this deal and future deals this month. Maybe she/the board have looked at the books, realised they can afford to splurge a little and Pulisic is one of a few players incoming. Pulisic is a signing for next season though, not this season. Any money made this season will go towards that signing I am sure. 

He actually is a very good player. Like lots of youngsters he burst onto the scene but will lack consistency usually the second/ third season. The good ones kick on after this period, time will tell. We won't lose on this deal in spite of the hefty fee.

Sounds a lot like the Barkley signing. Not necessarily a signing the manager wants but someone the club (who specifically who knows seeing as we have no technical director) has identified Pulisic presumably for footballing and commercial reasons. 

Up to Sarri now to make it work, will be interesting to see what happens with Willian and Pedro come the summer. 

Firstly, well done to the board for getting business going early in the window.  Also, for signing a player I know little about but:

1. Was wanted by a few other clubs;
  2. Is young and has potential;
  3. Was wanted by several people on this forum (see rumours thread).

Now, what I don't know...

• Is this a Hazard replacement or a strengthening the squad to make Hazard stay?
  • What does this mean for CHO?
  • Is this more of a replacement for Willian/Pedro?
  • Does Sarri see him as a potential Dries Martins style false 9?
  • Is it a cynical move to attract more USA based fans?

However, he's a Chelsea player now, so stay fit and I look forward to seeing you play for us next season.  ::ChELSeAFaN::

3 minutes ago, Jamjar1986 said:

I dont think so, drinkwater 35million? Morata 60 million, rejecting 50 million for willian, and thats just a small instance

Your right, them buying players is much worse than all this owners/boards who have bankrupted clubs, sh*t on fans constantly. Damn them. 

So you truly believe our board is the worst one in football? 

Worst in football is an exaggeration but come on, how many times have they over paid on bad footballers or paid on players who just dont get any chances, drinkwater alonso emerson bakayoko morata, costing over £200 million,

So you were talking bollocks after all. And now Morata, alonso, Bakayoko were given no chances? What the f**k are you on about now. 

Didnt say all of them, bakayoko hardly, emerson still not had a fair chance, you just continue to live in the bubble, everything is just all rosey
8 minutes ago, Jamjar1986 said:

Worst in football is an exaggeration but come on, how many times have they over paid on bad footballers or paid on players who just dont get any chances, drinkwater alonso emerson bakayoko morata, costing over £200 million,

So you're just handpicking the sh*t actions? By the same logic i could say Mourinho mark 1 was sh*t because he signed Del Horno, lost us our long unbeaten records against Fulham and Spurs and never won away to Newcastle.

You could peddle any narrative with such small sample size.

Edited by Argo