Chelsea vs Wolves (PL) Sun 10th Mar 14:05 GMT

coco
Chelsea Megastore
Chelsea Megastore

Chelsea Megastore

11 minutes ago, Chelsea Buzz said:

Anyone other than Willian taking corners for us is poor. Just wasted chances when he is not in the game. Same holds true on free kicks, except Alonso, who I thought could have helped going forward to day.

Eh? Willian is one of the worst corner takers I have ever seen for us. 

52 minutes ago, just said:

You are obviously having problems understanding today, so I will copy and paste. Give it some thought, consider whether either Mourinho or Conte would defend with a high press on the half-way line, from a valid opinion, then come back with an answer to the questions. 

"Fair point. But, the Wolves goal you have described as "a fluke".

Do you think the ultra high press we had on the half-way line contributed, in any way, to that goal?

Do you think Mourinho and Conte would defend like that?"

Did the high press contribute in some way? Sure.

I also think you have an agenda and it's getting boring.

When I responded to your initial comment, you agreed that it was a fair point, so what's all the fuss about the goal we conceded today?

Now that I've answered your question, would you care to point out how many times our high press caused us to concede dangerous chances today? Kepa could've taken a nap. Wolves were lucky. Very lucky.

2 minutes ago, Amputechture said:

When I responded to your initial comment, you agreed that it was a fair point, so what's all the fuss about the goal we conceded today?

Now that I've answered your question, would you care to point out how many times our high press caused us to concede dangerous chances today? Kepa could've taken a nap. Wolves were lucky comfortable. Very lucky comfortable.

Fixed this for you.

2 minutes ago, Amputechture said:

Now that I've answered your question, would you care to point out how many times our high press caused us to concede dangerous chances today? Kepa could've taken a nap. Wolves were lucky. Very lucky.

Mourhino and Conte? High press or no high press?

Unlike you I don't think the goal was a fluke. I think it was mostly down to poor defensive tactics from Sarri. I don't think a high press with acres of space behind will ever work in the EPL, (it only needs to fail once as we saw today so I don't get your point there), throw in David Luiz and it I feel it is even more obvious it won't work. But if you think it will.......

oh, I think you have an agenda too.

1 minute ago, just said:

Unlike you I don't think the goal was a fluke. I think it was mostly down to poor defensive tactics from Sarri. I don't think a high press with acres of space behind will ever work in the EPL, (it only needs to fail once as we saw today so I don't get your point there), throw in David Luiz and it I feel it is even more obvious it won't work. But if you think it will.......

oh, I think you have an agenda too.

Go and watch the goal again. Our defenders didn't cover themselves in glory whatsoever. At the very least they should be fouling the player and going into the book before the opportunity presented itself in front of goal.

I don't know if it'll work long-term. I think it's too early to tell and I don't think it's too much to ask for us fans to have some patience every now and again.

We pressed high against City and got battered. Played them again a couple weeks later with a completely different approach. Wolves, albeit an excellent team this season, are no Man City.

Chelsea failing to break down stubborn defences is nothing new to me. I've seen it happen time and time again over the past few years.

2 minutes ago, Chelsea Buzz said:

He is better than Hazard or Pedro, who seem to be the only other options Sarri goes with right now. Cesc was better obviously, but gone.

Hard to tell really, Hazard and Pedro didn't put in any good corners today, but Willian takes 90% of all set pieces and we are lucky to even get one good cross or free kick from him.

Just now, Amputechture said:

Go and watch the goal again. Our defenders didn't cover themselves in glory whatsoever. At the very least they should be fouling the player and going into the book before the opportunity presented itself in front of goal.

I don't know if it'll work long-term. I think it's too early to tell and I don't think it's too much to ask for us fans to have some patience every now and again.

We pressed high against City and got battered. Played them again a couple weeks later with a completely different approach. Wolves, albeit an excellent team this season, are no Man City.

Chelsea failing to break down stubborn defences is nothing new to me. I've seen it happen time and time again over the past few years.

Look Ampie, I'm not arguing about the failing to break teams down bit. That's why I said you had fair point in your initial post. I am arguing, no I am absolutely livid, at a manager who thinks playing a high, flat, defensive line on the half-way line is a good way to defend in the EPL. It's sh*t tactics that are asking for trouble. Because of that I repeat, the goal was no fluke. 

CB passes to LB,  LB passes to Winger, Winger passes to LB, LB passes to CB, CB passes to RB, RB passes to Winger, Winger passes to RB, RB passes to CB.......... Rinse and repeat for 90 minutes. Fecking clueless attack. Whiskey C*ck penetrates deeper then we do. 

17 minutes ago, Amputechture said:

I dont have a problem with the high press but we dont have the defenders and defensive midfielders for it. David luiz is a great footballer but a retarded defender , and jorginho is too slow to recover on the counter attack when we play a high press, while alonso and emerson just love to play in the attacking third and offer no defensive protection which leaves Rudiger and Azpilicueta as our only defenders during counters.

The similarity between the goal conceded today and against leicester earlier in the season is astonishing. You only need 2 players on the counter to dissect our defense 

Edited by The Don Antonio

9 minutes ago, just said:

I am arguing, no I am absolutely livid, at a manager who thinks playing a high, flat, defensive line on the half-way line is a good way to defend in the EPL. It's sh*t tactics that are asking for trouble.

Didn't Man City break records left and right doing just that?

Not surprised we did not win. That first half we just could not break them down and as we get more desperate for a goal we press higher and higher and leave ourselves exposed at the back.

End of the day Wolves are a good side, we did not just draw at home to Huddesfield, Wolves at 7th for a reason . They took their chance and we were unlucky we could not get more than 1.

Sarri did something different with the Willian sub. He tried, we tried. 1 point gained on spurs at least.

4 minutes ago, Amputechture said:

Didn't Man City break records left and right doing just that?

Yes but they have a better squad. And guardiola doesn’t stick with the same formation.

Edited by Jezq8

17 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

Hard to tell really, Hazard and Pedro didn't put in any good corners today, but Willian takes 90% of all set pieces and we are lucky to even get one good cross or free kick from him.

Speaking of which, when was the last time we scored from a corner kick? How many of our goals came from corners so far this season? 

I genuinely can't remember.

1 minute ago, just said:

No. They didn't.

Then what am I missing?

Pep was blasted by the media and fans alike after his first season in charge, saying it was impossible to be successful playing that way in the Premier League, only for them to go on and win the title in record-breaking fashion the following season.

4 minutes ago, abramovich said:

Speaking of which, when was the last time we scored from a corner kick? How many of our goals came from corners so far this season? 

I genuinely can't remember.

David Luiz vs Huddersfield last month, it was deflected in, keeper would probably have saved it. The only other one I can remember this season was David Luiz's header against Man City.

Just now, Scott Harris said:

David Luiz vs Huddersfield last month, it was deflected in, keeper would probably have saved it. The only other one I can remember this season was David Luiz's header against Man City.

I think you're right. Yeah, I forgot about Luiz header against City. Still, this is a shockingly poor return. Don't they practice corners in training? 

18 minutes ago, Amputechture said:

Then what am I missing?

Pep was blasted by the media and fans alike after his first season in charge, saying it was impossible to be successful playing that way in the Premier League, only for them to go on and win the title in record-breaking fashion the following season.

Man City have never played a high back line press for any sustained period of time as a set tactic, and please note the difference between a high back line and a midfield line press. How often did you see the entire City defense in a in a flat line on the half-way line when they are being countered? Not often. And they certainly don't do it now.

The only time it has been a consistently used defensive tactic in the EPL that I am aware of is AVB with us. It doesn't work in the EPL, that's why other managers don't do it.

Edited by just

An inability to break teams down early leads to us taking more risks.

The fullbacks both push up beyond the half way line and the two centre backs push up to somewhere around the centre circle.

This makes us extremely vulnerable to counter attacks, a weakness with Sarri’s system anyway.

Wolves needed just one half decent chance today and they took the lead... 60 minutes of dominating possession for nothing. How often have we seen that happen this season? 

We’re not learning from our mistakes and we’re not changing things to correct our short fallings.

1 hour ago, just said:

Agreed just. It's a bad setup, particularly when your players don't press from the front. We know Hazard just doesn't run without the ball and the pressing of others is inconsistent.

We're trying to shoehorn a tactical system onto a set of players ill suited for it. But again we knew this would be his approach, we hired him specifically for this approach. Yet we didn't understand enough about football to know what personnel were required to make it work.

Sarri made good changes today after we conceded and tried different things, but there remains the question of why we didn't play before conceding, if we were moving the ball too slow, why did we do that for 56 minutes.

I won't throw Sarri under the bus because largely the same people who are condemning Sarri now are the same ones who carried on about 'Sufferball' last year. Those people should have a look at themselves. What I will say is that the sacking of Conte is being shown to be the biggest mistake during Abramovich's time at the club.