coco

Sarri - In or Out?

Sarri - In or Out?  

184 members have voted

1. 1. Sarri - In or Out?

• In
    • Out

38 minutes ago, Brutos said:

There is no guarantee Lamps will be successfully at all here and if he's failing it would be very interesting to see how long before the boos start

There's no guarantee any manager will be successful here. Lamps has as much chance as anyone else. We've had managers with 30 years experience come here and fail.

22 minutes ago, buzzcfc said:

Can't wait for him to go personally. It is inevitable sooner or later because he just isn't good enough, just hopefully we don't leave it too long.

Not good enough? Two cup finals and 3rd place. What more could you ask for from this god awful squad? 

2 minutes ago, Cam said:

And the talk of Lampard...sheesh...give me a break. He's about as green as a manager can be, and people want him thrown in the deep end at Chelsea!? Chelsea is the most unforgiving management job in world football. Not to mention, he wasn't at the club that long ago. There are still players at the club who were there when he was, and the youth players that possibly grew up idolizing him. Sure, they may give him respect for what he accomplished as a footballer, but I can't imagine it's easy to control a team where you are friends with a number of the players.

Sarri in.

I too am Sarri in but Pep was thrown in at the deep end at Barca, seemed to do alright there. The tactical side falls to Jody, who's shown at Youth level he certainly knows what he's on about.

Right now, I get the feeling he is gone.

Apparantly he’s the strongest candidate for the Juventus job. Di Marzio who is reliable reported that yesterday. Lampard is the leading candidate to take over.

Add that to Pedulla, Gazzetta, La Stampa and others reporting much of the same in previous days and you get the sense there is a lot to this story.

25 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

There's no guarantee any manager will be successful here. Lamps has as much chance as anyone else. We've had managers with 30 years experience come here and fail.

Not good enough? Two cup finals and 3rd place. What more could you ask for from this god awful squad? 

I too am Sarri in but Pep was thrown in at the deep end at Barca, seemed to do alright there. The tactical side falls to Jody, who's shown at Youth level he certainly knows what he's on about.

I'm not saying it's impossibly Lampard would work out...just that if we want to minimise the risks of it not working out, we should give him the opportunity to forge forward in his career before placing that burden on him.

Not to mention, the sheer volume of talent on offer at Barca at the time is completely different to at Chelsea, not to mention the threat of five genuinely good competitive teams. The competition at the top of the Premier League is the toughest it's ever been, and while we have the most talented youth system in the country, we likely don't have the makings of a squad strong enough to achieve what Pep did at Barcelona.

If the club decides to take the enormous gamble and throw Frank in at the deepest of deep ends, I will of course support him, and daydream giddily about what it would mean to have a club legend manage us to glory...but I wouldn't be convinced of success, nor would I be able to with a straight face, say, 'yes, that was a correct, rational decision.'

1 hour ago, Brutos said:

There is no guarantee Lamps will be successfully at all here and if he's failing it would be very interesting to see how long before the boos start

On the contary, I think Lampard is one of the very few people the crowd will stick by no matter what.

Which will be a good thing if he's genuinely building something but a very bad thing if he's flopping.

2 minutes ago, Cam said:

I'm not saying it's impossibly Lampard would work out...just that if we want to minimise the risks of it not working out, we should give him the opportunity to forge forward in his career before placing that burden on him.

Not to mention, the sheer volume of talent on offer at Barca at the time is completely different to at Chelsea, not to mention the threat of five genuinely good competitive teams. The competition at the top of the Premier League is the toughest it's ever been, and while we have the most talented youth system in the country, we likely don't have the makings of a squad strong enough to achieve what Pep did at Barcelona.

If the club decides to take the enormous gamble and throw Frank in at the deepest of deep ends, I will of course support him, and daydream giddily about what it would mean to have a club legend manage us to glory...but I wouldn't be convinced of success, nor would I be able to with a straight face, say, 'yes, that was a correct, rational decision.'

Pep went to Barca and sold the majority of their talent. Ronaldinho, Eto'o etc. He built the unbelievable team they had. Jody with his knowledge of our youth system and Frank's persona could do something very similar. 

He isn't guaranteed to succeed but I don't think hiring him and Jody would be any more of a risk as hiring anyone else available to us. 

Apparantly he’s the strongest candidate for the Juventus job. Di Marzio who is reliable reported that yesterday. Lampard is the leading candidate to take over.
Add that to Pedulla, Gazzetta, La Stampa and others reporting much of the same in previous days and you get the sense there is a lot to this story.
If Sarri goes to Juventus and Conte takes the tougher job of managing Inter Milan, lots of people will put there money on Inter Milan or Ancelotti's Napoli winning the league next season despite being underdogs for the title.

The only managers that get booed here when things are going bad are the arrogant, self-righteous ones who persistently stick to ideas that obviously ain't helping the team. I don't think mangers like Hiddink, Di Matteo ever got booed even things weren't working for them. And Lampard falls into that category.

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Argo said:

On the contary, I think Lampard is one of the very few people the crowd will stick by no matter what.

I agree with this, I think the crowd would turn on the players first before turning on Lampard, especially if he is integrating academy players.

There is only so much you can do with these set of players, which is why although I had been Sarri out for a while I do think he deserves to start another season here for what he's achieved.

If Chelsea don't try to, or is unsuccessful with getting the ban suspended then next season will be tough for whoever is in charge as renewing ageing players contracts won't solve the problems we've had this season. 

Edited by 2211

37 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

- We didn't win the milk cup. Growing up in the late 80's means I will always be grateful for a cup final, but let's not get too hung up on finishing second. If we start seeing this as an achievement we will be no better than Arsenal - a club that we have ridiculed for years now for accepting mediocrity.  

- We haven't won the Europa League yet. Lets see how we fair with that. Remember Sarri has not once stepped up in a final in his entire career.

- We finished third despite Sarri, rather than because of Sarri. I'm not having that our squad is not good enough to have comfortably finished third. He's got an array of talent at his disposal, including two genuine world class players - one of which he has played out of position all season to accommodate his only system, and the other which has been played as a false 9 in the most important games - despite this clearly not working.

Instead we have crawled over the line despite Spurs, Arsenal and Utd all having one of their worst ends to a season possibly ever. We even did our best to f**k that up on the last day, despite it being in our own hands.

I am not fickle, the only manager other than Sarri I have wanted sacking was AVB. If I can see signs of hope then I will back the manager regardless of where we are in the league. Unfortunately Sarri has proven himself to be damn right incompetent time and time again. Week after week I've watched the same predictable and stubborn mistakes. He must be an absolute dream to prepare for.

He has one plan of action and either doesn't have the tactical nous to change things up or is too stubborn to do so. Either way it's not the standard required from our club.

I'm not overly concerned as I know it is only a matter of time before he's out the door. I would just prefer it to be sooner rather than later, particularly if CAS freeze our transfer ban. Heaven forbid he see's Kante as surplus to his system and sells him before he's sacked.

He can take Jorginho with him.

15 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Pep went to Barca and sold the majority of their talent. Ronaldinho, Eto'o etc. He built the unbelievable team they had. Jody with his knowledge of our youth system and Frank's persona could do something very similar. 

He isn't guaranteed to succeed but I don't think hiring him and Jody would be any more of a risk as hiring anyone else available to us. 

I get what you are saying but he wasnt exactly thrown in the deep end in the same way that Frank would be. Pep had spent around 4-5 years working with Barca C and Barca B before moving to the main team. A very different situation to Jody and Lamps, 

Names being branded about here makes for dire reading. 

They are all managers with a completely different playstyle to Sarri and the way Roman wants us to play. So yet again we will be uprooting and destroying everything we have been working towards for another short term "fix". 

7 minutes ago, buzzcfc said:

- We didn't win the milk cup. Growing up in the late 80's means I will always be grateful for a cup final, but let's not get too hung up on finishing second. If we start seeing this as an achievement we will be no better than Arsenal - a club that we have ridiculed for years now for accepting mediocrity.  We beat Liverpool and Spurs on the way to the final and lost to the first ever team to win the domestic quadruple, on penalties, whilst outplaying them ont he pitch for the 120 minutes. Seems strange to not take this as an achievement. 

- We haven't won the Europa League yet. Lets see how we fair with that. Remember Sarri has not once stepped up in a final in his entire career. He's still got us to the final.

- We finished third despite Sarri, rather than because of Sarri. I'm not having that our squad is not good enough to have comfortably finished third. He's got an array of talent at his disposal, including two genuine world class players - one of which he has played out of position all season to accommodate his only system, and the other which has been played as a false 9 in the most important games - despite this clearly not working. Imagine thinking Sarri had nothing to do with our league finish. Both Hazard and Kante have had their most productive seasons in a Chelsea shirt whilst being apparently thrown out of position by Sarri. Take those two players out and name me one more player even close to being world class. With how many games we've had to manage Sarri has done wonders with what he has at his availability. 

Instead we have crawled over the line despite Spurs, Arsenal and Utd all having one of their worst ends to a season possibly ever. We even did our best to f**k that up on the last day, despite it being in our own hands. We were already qualified on the last day so how could we have f**ked it up?

I am not fickle, the only manager other than Sarri I have wanted sacking was AVB. If I can see signs of hope then I will back the manager regardless of where we are in the league. Unfortunately Sarri has proven himself to be damn right incompetent time and time again. Week after week I've watched the same predictable and stubborn mistakes. He must be an absolute dream to prepare for. If the only manager you wanted sacking was AvB and not Mk.2 Mourinho than this tells me a lot. 

He has one plan of action and either doesn't have the tactical nous to change things up or is too stubborn to do so. Either way it's not the standard required from our club.

I'm not overly concerned as I know it is only a matter of time before he's out the door. I would just prefer it to be sooner rather than later, particularly if CAS freeze our transfer ban. Heaven forbid he see's Kante as surplus to his system and sells him before he's sacked.

He can take Jorginho with him. Arguably our best player this past month or so. 

12 minutes ago, Bonzodog29 said:

I get what you are saying but he wasnt exactly thrown in the deep end in the same way that Frank would be. Pep had spent around 4-5 years working with Barca C and Barca B before moving to the main team. A very different situation to Jody and Lamps, 

Jody was working with the youth team for 4 years prior to Derby, in fact Lamps and Jody have more actual coaching experience than Pep had with their year at Derby.

34 minutes ago, wallosh said:
1 hour ago, Sindre said:

If Sarri goes to Juventus and Conte takes the tougher job of managing Inter Milan, lots of people will put there money on Inter Milan or Ancelotti's Napoli winning the league next season despite being underdogs for the title.

There's more chance of Wenger returning to Arsenal and winning the title than Ancelotti winning the league with Napoli.

7 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Jody was working with the youth team for 4 years prior to Derby, in fact Lamps and Jody have more actual coaching experience than Pep had with their year at Derby.

I appreciate that, however I would suggest that with the way the league works in Spain with Barca b being a fully fledged team (albeit in div2) has greater weight just my opinion of course.  

5 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

I feel like it'll always just be bitter sweet with lampard.. Unless he turns out to be the best thing since sliced bread it only goes one way at this club... It's like a curse lol. The fans will love him and want him to stay, and either the players will get it in the neck from the fans if results aren't favourable or Lampard will get sacked and the club will once again get the wrath of the fans. The club philosophy when it comes to building something (that actually takes time to make something somewhat sustainable), rather than splashing the cash on a bunch of players and just chucking them together and expecting them to be a coherent team, and sacking the manager after a season or two needs to change.

12 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

whilst outplaying them ont he pitch for the 120 minutes

What? We didn't even have a shot on target. City were the better side in that game.

46 minutes ago, Argo said:

Which will be a good thing if he's genuinely building something but a very bad thing if he's flopping.

The thing is, derby's league form wasn't that good. They ended up 6th. It was only for the ridiculous playoffs that they made it to possibly get promotion.

On fairness, Leeds should be promoted. The whole playoff thing in Championship is illogical and unfair on the 3rd place side. 

For me Lampard needs more time. Even our rival fans and fans of Napoli and Juve are bemused why we would get rid of Sarri for Lampard.

Utd fans know first hand the challenges of bringing in a club legend (not saying OGS is a legend, but you know what I mean) to manage the club. It makes no sense.

Sarri signed a two year contract. If they want to bring in Lampard, give him another season at Derby and let Sarri run his contract down here. At least then he will have built a decent base here before passing over to Lamps. 

32 minutes ago, Remodez said:

Names being branded about here makes for dire reading. 

They are all managers with a completely different playstyle to Sarri and the way Roman wants us to play. So yet again we will be uprooting and destroying everything we have been working towards for another short term "fix". 

Starting to believe Roman Is the problem. Appreciate everything he's done, but it's all become too businesslike for me - much less about football.

Other successful rival clubs are putting results first over business, or at least treating them equally. 

1 minute ago, DannyBoy said:

I feel like it'll always just be bitter sweet with lampard.. Unless he turns out to be the best thing since sliced bread it only goes one way at this club... It's like a curse lol. The fans will love him and want him to stay, and either the players will get it in the neck from the fans if results aren't favourable or Lampard will get sacked and the club will once again get the wrath of the fans. The club philosophy when it comes to building something (that actually takes time to make something somewhat sustainable), rather than splashing the cash on a bunch of players and just chucking them together and expecting them to be a coherent team, and sacking the manager after a season or two needs to change.

I feel like the club has changed in this regard. 

We kept Mourinho on a lot longer than he should have been.

Conte was only sacked due to his stubbornness against the board, otherwise he'd still be here.

Sarri i imagine will get another season.

20 minutes ago, Sindre said:

What? We didn't even have a shot on target. City were the better side in that game.

Go back through the match day thread. Everyone pretty much said we were the better team with the better chances. Not our fault we haven't been able to finish all season. Sarri was spot on this day.

15 minutes ago, enigma said:

The thing is, derby's league form wasn't that good. They ended up 6th. It was only for the ridiculous playoffs that they made it to possibly get promotion.

On fairness, Leeds should be promoted. The whole playoff thing in Championship is illogical and unfair on the 3rd place side. 

Derby do the same every season and have a sh*t run of form after Xmas. 

Football would be boring with top 3 going up, play offs offer hope to other teams. 

People are not looking at the real problem here. 

Sarri was brought in by the club to build a team and play a style of football. 

After a 'successful' season we are yet again looking to start over again with a new manager. While Pool and City build on and add on to their existing strong squads. 

42 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

We beat Liverpool and Spurs on the way to the final and lost to the first ever team to win the domestic quadruple, on penalties, whilst outplaying them ont he pitch for the 120 minutes. Seems strange to not take this as an achievement. 

No, I don't see second as an achievement. Perhaps this is where we differ. I couldn't care less if he get's us to finals and we lose.

Imagine thinking Sarri had nothing to do with our league finish. Both Hazard and Kante have had their most productive seasons in a Chelsea shirt whilst being apparently thrown out of position by Sarri. Take those two players out and name me one more player even close to being world class. With how many games we've had to manage Sarri has done wonders with what he has at his availability. 

How many genuine world class players do Spurs, Arsenal and Utd (our direct rivals for third) have? Exactly. We should comfortably finish third. I'm not sure how you are measuring Kante's productivity? Goals? Of course he'll score more goals being played out of position further up the field than where he is best used. I don't think you can attribute Hazards performances to Sarri. If anything Hazards job has been made harder by being forced to create something from nothing due to playing such a  rigid, un-productive, tippy tappy, sideways pass for the sake of sideways pass style. It is probably down to Hazards obscene brilliance alone that Sarri has been let off the hook by some with the blinkers on.

We were already qualified on the last day so how could we have f**ked it up?

I was quite clearly talking about third spot - you know, relating to your original point of declaring how spectacular of an achievement it was.

If the only manager you wanted sacking was AvB and not Mk.2 Mourinho than this tells me a lot. 

In fairness, I had forgot to mention this one.

Arguably our best player this past month or so.

lol. He's been shocking all season and has restricted us severely in how we play (in fairness this is as much down to Sarri's stubbornness). One month will not change that.