Teams with inferiority complexes about Chelsea

The Swan

Liverpool

Despite all that they have won they still sing songs about us having no history. As we all know, Chelsea won their first European trophy before Liverpool did so in terms of history on the European front Chelsea’s is older. If Liverpool want to sing songs about having won more than Chelsea FC, then fair enough. No one is going to argue with that. Something about us really gets up their noses. Even when they won the league at Stamford Bridge in the mid- 80s, something about Chelsea appears to have brought out the worse in them. Even though they have won more than us I have often sensed envy from them towards us.

Spuds

When it really mattered their fans were found wanting. They know it, we know and everyone else knows it. Now that football has changed and become more ‘civilised’ their fans are acting like they are category one types.  Sadly about 20 years out of date.

West Ham

You would have thought all things being considered the beasts from the East would feel secure with themselves but that is not the case. Something about Chelsea really gets to them so much so they copy a song sung by Liverpool fans. I think it boils down to Chelsea never really showing them the respect they thought they deserved.

Barcelona

I have met many fans who support this club who get really worked up about Chelsea, both the club and fans. They often tell me how big and successful their club is, like they have a point to prove against Chelsea. All very strange.

Teams who don’t necessarily like us but appear more at ease in their own skin about it

Man Utd

Arsenal

Leeds

35 minutes ago, The Swan said:

Liverpool

Despite all that they have won they still sing songs about us having no history. As we all know, Chelsea won their first European trophy before Liverpool did so in terms of history on the European front Chelsea’s is older. If Liverpool want to sing songs about having won more than Chelsea FC, then fair enough. No one is going to argue with that. Something about us really gets up their noses. Even when they won the league at Stamford Bridge in the mid- 80s, something about Chelsea appears to have brought out the worse in them. Even though they have won more than us I have often sensed envy from them towards us.

Spuds

When it really mattered their fans were found wanting. They know it, we know and everyone else knows it. Now that football has changed and become more ‘civilised’ their fans are acting like they are category one types.  Sadly about 20 years out of date.

West Ham

You would have thought all things being considered the beasts from the East would feel secure with themselves but that is not the case. Something about Chelsea really gets to them so much so they copy a song sung by Liverpool fans. I think it boils down to Chelsea never really showing them the respect they thought they deserved.

Barcelona

I have met many fans who support this club who get really worked up about Chelsea, both the club and fans. They often tell me how big and successful their club is, like they have a point to prove against Chelsea. All very strange.

Teams who don’t necessarily like us but appear more at ease in their own skin about it

Man Utd

Arsenal

Leeds

Couldn't agree more on all those points, I think with Liverpool, the old skool fans couldn't get their heads round the idea that a div 2 or div 1 side which didn't win anything which we were in the 80's could take more away and make more noise than them, and had a swagger that they couldn't match. Have to say apart from 86 their numbers bought to the bridge were pretty poor at times, even now their support at the bridge is always totally underwelming. The newer fans have grown up with that rivalry that Jose and Rafa bought.

West Ham have never got over that we are and were always talked about more, whether on or off pitch,In the 80's when the ICF were going and West Ham were in their heyday of winning cups and getting to finals, Chelsea always hit the headlines more, you mention the Chelsea Headhunters to someone who isn't into Football and they will know what your talking about, mention ICF and they'll think your talking about a toothpaste!! Saw documentary the other day where Cass pennant was doing a book signing and talk with Pompey boys, he explained when he first went to the publishers all they wanted was for him to comeback when he had a book on Chelsea, you could see it got up his nose.

Spurs,  explained it perfectly.

Barcelona, a rivalry which appeared through us playing them so often, and even when they were in their pomp, we were the team that knew how to beat them, even now if champions League knock out draw was made, we would be one the team's they really wouldn't want to play.

It's really wierd, as I don't like any of these clubs but I certainly don't have an inferiority complex with any of them, not sure if it's me being arrogant but f**k it,  l'm Chelsea and proud of it.

Aside from spurs and liverpool being obvious ones. Everton, especially under Martinez, literally throwing themselves into over the top tackles and dives all game, every game. Appealing for freekicks constantly and arguing every throw in decision followed by a post match squinny regardless of score or performance about how Chelsea were dirty,dark arts, ref didn't give this or that, the team and fans deserve better blah blah, etc, etc

On 21/04/2020 at 13:12, chi blue said:

Chelsea always hit the headlines more, you mention the Chelsea Headhunters to someone who isn't into Football and they will know what your talking about, mention ICF and they'll think your talking about a toothpaste!!

Yep, they used to make games that bit more interesting. Chelsea away and West Ham away always called for a bit of extra care. The first time I went to Millwall was in the old 2nd Division. For some reason, the special from Manchester didn't arrive so it was mostly Cockney Reds and those who came by coach. It was a midweek game as I remember and it was a bit hair-raising. Won 1-0 though.

Fulham hasn't even got a mention, yet I know from a contract job last year speaking to an Aussie chap that thought he would get to know English culture by supporting his local team........ Fulham.

I asked him what songs they sing,

He said, 'dunnow just yet, but every other song is something about Chelsea with Fxxk in it!

On 21/04/2020 at 17:37, The Swan said:

Liverpool

Spuds

West Ham

Barcelona

Man Utd

Arsenal

Leeds

Have to disagree on Arsenal. They are one of the main twats to dig out the ‘history’ comment when they are butthurt about something.

With Liverpool fans you have to think that it comes from trying to simultaneously hold the idea that they are somehow morally superior and 'purer' in a footballing sense than everyone else and the fact that they were second division nobodies losing to non-league sides in the Cup who were propelled towards stardom using gambling money accumulated through exploiting the working class they pretend to represent.  

It makes perfect sense that they would feel the need to take out the inevitable cognitive dissonance on the nouveau riche who took their place at the top table during a time when they were skirting the fringes of mediocrity. 

1 hour ago, PloKoon13 said:

With Liverpool fans you have to think that it comes from trying to simultaneously hold the idea that they are somehow morally superior and 'purer' in a footballing sense than everyone else and the fact that they were second division nobodies losing to non-league sides in the Cup who were propelled towards stardom using gambling money accumulated through exploiting the working class they pretend to represent.  

It makes perfect sense that they would feel the need to take out the inevitable cognitive dissonance on the nouveau riche who took their place at the top table during a time when they were skirting the fringes of mediocrity. 

The reality is that all successful clubs are bankrolled by money, but money in itself is not enough. The players must gel as a team and a manager must have a certain degree of tactical and even strategic acumen. It is too simplistic to simply say Chelsea’s success was only due to money and when other teams say this it displays an amazing amount of ignorance.

1997 was the breakthrough year for us and culturally the club began to engender a winning mind set and an appetite for success during the mid and late 90s. Over the decades we had experienced many false dawns but where we have arrived at now is where we were always destined to arrive at.

I am not saying that we could not go into decline again, we could of course.

The secret to sustainable success is how well you are managed at the board level. Look at Aston Villa and Leeds United, two clubs not fulfilling their potential and much of this has been due to poor boardroom management. Those of us with long memories have experienced gross incompetence at board level during the 1970s which prevented us from reaching our potential then. After beating Real Madrid, Chelsea should have gone on to more sustained success but as we know poor director management crippled us and it took decades to recover.

Teams begrudge Chelsea winning things, but the reality is that Chelsea were always a club with big potential and so our success in in the last 15 years or so should not be that surprising.

2 hours ago, The Swan said:

The reality is that all successful clubs are bankrolled by money, but money in itself is not enough. The players must gel as a team and a manager must have a certain degree of tactical and even strategic acumen. It is too simplistic to simply say Chelsea’s success was only due to money and when other teams say this it displays an amazing amount of ignorance.

1997 was the breakthrough year for us and culturally the club began to engender a winning mind set and an appetite for success during the mid and late 90s. Over the decades we had experienced many false dawns but where we have arrived at now is where we were always destined to arrive at.

I am not saying that we could not go into decline again, we could of course.

The secret to sustainable success is how well you are managed at the board level. Look at Aston Villa and Leeds United, two clubs not fulfilling their potential and much of this has been due to poor boardroom management. Those of us with long memories have experienced gross incompetence at board level during the 1970s which prevented us from reaching our potential then. After beating Real Madrid, Chelsea should have gone on to more sustained success but as we know poor director management crippled us and it took decades to recover.

Teams begrudge Chelsea winning things, but the reality is that Chelsea were always a club with big potential and so our success in in the last 15 years or so should not be that surprising.

I think the last 15 years or so of success is why the London clubs, Arsenal, Spurs and West Ham are so irratated,  during the 70's, 80's and early 90's when those clubs had success (yes pikies had a little) we were struggling but deep down they knew, that we had the most glamorous name and post code, were closet to central London, traditionally in the early 20th century had the larger crowds, and in the 80's had the larger away following, it only needed us to turn our potential into success. We have now, and so is born London's premier club, world wide we are the most well known London club now. 

Go into Europe and the question asked would be Tottenham who?  West ham? Arsenal also are becoming a forgotten club in Europe now.  

London's First, London's Finest

On 25/04/2020 at 20:34, Stretford Ender said:

Yep, they used to make games that bit more interesting. Chelsea away and West Ham away always called for a bit of extra care. The first time I went to Millwall was in the old 2nd Division. For some reason, the special from Manchester didn't arrive so it was mostly Cockney Reds and those who came by coach. It was a midweek game as I remember and it was a bit hair-raising. Won 1-0 though.

Wasn't your game at the Den a bit of a revenge mission for Millwall? I seem to remember hearing that Millwall had taken 400 or so to OT for the first game and had come a bit of a cropper. My first trip to OT was in 77, our 2nd away game back in the top flight, and speaking to a local after the game being told that this was the first time any London team had turned up with the sort of numbers we had that day. BTW, the blue half of my avatar is my membership card from 77/78 and I would have had that on me for the trip to Manchester.

2 hours ago, MKBlue said:

Wasn't your game at the Den a bit of a revenge mission for Millwall? I seem to remember hearing that Millwall had taken 400 or so to OT for the first game and had come a bit of a cropper. My first trip to OT was in 77, our 2nd away game back in the top flight, and speaking to a local after the game being told that this was the first time any London team had turned up with the sort of numbers we had that day. BTW, the blue half of my avatar is my membership card from 77/78 and I would have had that on me for the trip to Manchester.

I remember beating them 4-0 at home but was in the Stretford End so didn't see any action. Chelsea always brought a good number to OT, even going back to the 60s when I first started going. My first home game against Chelsea was in March 1965 when we won 4-0. There have been some memorable games. Tommy Baldwin always liked playing against us because he inevitably scored. Best often saved his best for Chelsea. First away at your place was 1971, early season when Bestie got sent off for swearing at the ref.

I remember that game in 1977 by the way. Chopper was still playing as I recall but I can't remember who scored. Wasn't Butch was it?

11 minutes ago, Stretford Ender said:

I remember beating them 4-0 at home but was in the Stretford End so didn't see any action. Chelsea always brought a good number to OT, even going back to the 60s when I first started going. My first home game against Chelsea was in March 1965 when we won 4-0. There have been some memorable games. Tommy Baldwin always liked playing against us because he inevitably scored. Best often saved his best for Chelsea. First away at your place was 1971, early season when Bestie got sent off for swearing at the ref.

I remember that game in 1977 by the way. Chopper was still playing as I recall but I can't remember who scored. Wasn't Butch was it?

Bill Garner.

24 minutes ago, bluehaze said:

Bill Garner.

Right. It was the weekend after St. Etienne away in the CWC. I think you did the double over us that year. Funny old season that was. Docherty sacked after winning the cup, Dave Sexton brought in and an opening match at Birmingham. I hated going to that place. Always numbers waiting at New Street.

Archived